MaxxyPaxxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation What A Nasty Surprise (A Warning To Others)

I had an unexpected event last night/this morning and hope in the least I can help by sharing and if others can illuminate me, all the better.

I bought a popular herbal tea to use for bad chronic insomnia (Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra, with Valerian.) The active ingredients are 600 mg of chamomile, 160 mg of tilia estrella, and 25 mg of valerian.

I made the tea double strong (2 bags in one 8 oz cup of water) because I have done that before with other teas containing similar ingredients with no ill effect.

So here's the nasty surprise- the tea began to take effect, and then I was stricken by muscle pain all over my body- it hurt very very badly. Then it occured to me the chamomile (a muscle toner) must have made lactic acid come out of my muscles. I thought my Epsom Salt baths were leaching lactic acid out of my tissues but um, I guess not. I laid awake in wracking pain for a few hours before I gave in and took 2 Aleve.

I felt fine when I got up later (uh, much later) but I feel a bit dumb for learning the hard way to not go hardcore with herbal tea.

If anyone else has had this happen, please share....I will Google later to find out how NOT to repeat this incident. But firsthand stories would be more helpful. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by MaxxyPaxxy; 08-24-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    Henry Rollins is Da Man

Mrsstanpoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mrsstanpoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mrsstanpoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mrsstanpoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mrsstanpoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mrsstanpoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mrsstanpoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mrsstanpoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mrsstanpoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mrsstanpoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mrsstanpoe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OH MY GOSH!!! I love that tea!!! Has it done that in the past with a normal dose? EEK! Glad you are feeling ok!
    "Failure to plan is planning to fail."

Come see me on ******** :)

http://www.********.com/#!/profile.php?id=1488657215

Bodymotion, Inc-
    The NEW site is UP!

www.bodymotioninc.com

MaxxyPaxxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It never happened before with a regular dose.....I am thinking it happened now because I haven't had a proper massage in several months and I've been working out so much I have no more cellulite and am basically where I want to be, body-wise. I guess there was enough lactic acid built up to release all at once and make me feel ill.

I just had a regular dose of the tea (I'm desperate for a regular sleep cycle) and no ill effects as of yet. I chalk the episode up to a huge dose of chamomile causing the problem.
    Last edited by MaxxyPaxxy; 08-24-2008 at 10:30 PM.
    Henry Rollins is Da Man

Shanice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ouch

That doesn't sound good. I have used some tea in the past as I also struggle with a good sleep cycle. But I have never experienced problems like that.