terry_s7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can't put on muscle mass ?

Hi All,

I've been doing the anthony ellis program for over 3 months now, but I don't seem to have put much weight on. I put on a few pounds on fat when I first started probably due to my body not being used to the extra calories and I've toned up but haven't really any bulk on. I lift weights 3x a week and it's broken down into chest,shoulders,triceps on one session, legs on the second session and back and bicep on the 3rd session. All the exercises are 4 sets and a burnout set.

I've have been eating 6 meals a day, usually a protein shake and banana/nuts or oats for the 1st, chicken sandwich for the 2nd, protein shake and banana/nuts for the 3rd, lean beef, vegatables and rice for the 4th, fish, toast and fruit for the 5th and a tub of cottage cheese just before bed.

How much rest should I get ? I find it difficult to get more than 8 hours sleep and my schedule doesn't really permit than the weekend's.

Has anyone any ideas ?

Thanks

andymcadam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andymcadam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andymcadam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Instead of doing 4 sets then a burnout set, try doing 2 sets, with the second set aiming to fail at around 7 or 8 reps. This could trigger your muscles to grow faster. Also, are you getting protein intake straight after exercising?

Reveal this broken man Rowdy3090's Avatar
    Rowdy3090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy3090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy3090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy3090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy3090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy3090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy3090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy3090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy3090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy3090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy3090 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Could you post the exact workout?

I'm a little confused about some of the things you've said. You say you've put on some fat and also toned up, this would indicate that you have put on a pretty good amount of LBM in a three month period. Do you know what your body composition figues are?

Your nutrition looks in reasonable order, three serves of meat, two protein shakes and some milk and cottage cheese is a good amount of protein.

ripinitup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ripinitup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ripinitup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ripinitup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ripinitup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ripinitup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ripinitup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ripinitup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ripinitup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ripinitup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ripinitup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    get carbs in post workout in the changing room or as soon as pos after your workout

The workout is like below;

Session 1 - all the sets are 4 sets of 6-8 reps for the 1st, 4-6 for the 2nd, 2-4 for the 3rd and 1-2 for the 4th.

Flat bench press
    Shoulder press
    Shrugs
    Dips

Session 2

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Calve Raises

Session 3

Wide Grip Pullups
    One-Arm Rows
    Standing Dumbell Rows

I've toned up my arms, chest, legs, etc but without really adding any mass to it, which was the whole point of me starting this.

I take a post workout protein shake which has carbs in it, pretty much as soon as I get home. And I live about 100 metres from the gym, so it's pretty quick.

Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by terry_s7 View Post
    I've toned up my arms, chest, legs, etc but without really adding any mass to it, which was the whole point of me starting this.
    this is a sure sign that you arent eating enough to make decent gains. if you "toned up" you likely have lost some fat and built some muscle.

How much weight have you gained over the entire 3 months?
    "Leave the pump in the bedroom and add some damn weight to the bar" - Dave Tate

"Train for strength, eat to grow and you will get bigger and stronger" - Someone bigger and stronger then me

I've pretty much added roughly an inch of size everywhere, so an inch to my chest, arms, etc and an inch of fat around my waist.

mrsony has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrsony has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The workout is like below;

Session 1 - all the sets are 4 sets of 6-8 reps for the 1st, 4-6 for the 2nd, 2-4 for the 3rd and 1-2 for the 4th.

Flat bench press
    Shoulder press
    Shrugs
    Dips

Session 2

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Calve Raises

Session 3

Wide Grip Pullups
    One-Arm Rows
    Standing Dumbell Rows

You have to increase your training volume in order to grow. I don't think you are training hard enough. Large muscle groups 15 - 20 working sets. Small muscle groups 8 - 12 working sets.

Increase volume and density - you shall see results!!!

I always thought it was low reps and high weight for building mass and vice versa for toning ? Just for example do you mean I should do 15-20 reps for 4 sets on squats or deadlifts ?

Fluff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluff will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

I've pretty much added roughly an inch of size everywhere, so an inch to my chest, arms, etc and an inch of fat around my waist.
    For three months, I think this is great progress.

MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    An inch of size, not straight after a workout, seems very good progress, and many would be happy.
    The inch to the stomach can be lost when you think your body needs cutting.
    (Can't just lose it at stomach, but can lose BF% all over)

hmm, ok, I guess maybe I had unrealistic expectations for this, I just expected to put more on in 3-4 months.

Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    hmm, ok, I guess maybe I had unrealistic expectations for this, I just expected to put more on in 3-4 months.
    if it was that easy everyone would look good...