Stylin' and Profilin' Swollen_Powell's Avatar
    Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Best way to fix? Weights wont fit on one side of the bar.

I just got a set of used Ivanko weights. Only the 35s dont fit on one sleeve of the straight bar.I guess the tolerances are a bit tighter on the 35s for some reason and the bar is probably a bit warped. What would be the best way to try to remedy this situation?

Should I try sanding down the bar sleeve a bit and applying some lithium grease? They dont get past the 1st inch or so of the bar. I really dont feel like driving south an hour to swap it out, so if I can remedy this easily Ill do it.
    Last edited by Swollen_Powell; 08-20-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Machine Shop Owner/Welder stunmai3's Avatar
    stunmai3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stunmai3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stunmai3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stunmai3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stunmai3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stunmai3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stunmai3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stunmai3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stunmai3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stunmai3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stunmai3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The Ivankos have a tighter fit from what I have read. If the holes are dirty and/or rusty that would make it worse. You most likely won't have the ability to remove material from the bar, I would try to clean up the inside of the weights with sandpaper. You can also go to your hardware store and look at rotary sanding attachments that fit on a drill. Again, this is more for cleanup and deburr, you are not going to be able to make the holes substantially larger, if they are still tight you will have to look for a bar with slightly smaller ends. But I bet the drill sanding attachment will work for you.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Are you using one of those cheap chrome bars? The sleeves can be a little oversized. I got rid of my chrome bar and got a real power bar and my ivankos fit perfectly, same on my smith machine.

If that's too much of a hassle, hang on to those Ivankos and I'll buy them when I come to WPB around Xmas time.

Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swollen_Powell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by stunmai3 View Post
    The Ivankos have a tighter fit from what I have read. If the holes are dirty and/or rusty that would make it worse. You most likely won't have the ability to remove material from the bar, I would try to clean up the inside of the weights with sandpaper. You can also go to your hardware store and look at rotary sanding attachments that fit on a drill. Again, this is more for cleanup and deburr, you are not going to be able to make the holes substantially larger, if they are still tight you will have to look for a bar with slightly smaller ends. But I bet the drill sanding attachment will work for you.
    Thanks for the tips
    Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    Are you using one of those cheap chrome bars? The sleeves can be a little oversized. I got rid of my chrome bar and got a real power bar and my ivankos fit perfectly, same on my smith machine.

If that's too much of a hassle, hang on to those Ivankos and I'll buy them when I come to WPB around Xmas time.
    The bar looks very worn, its what came with the set. Supposedly its from a gym but that doesnt say much. Ill try cleaning everything up as instructed, if not Im sure the guy will swap it out

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No no.

You are supposed to say, "Yeah I'll hang on to them and you can buy them for 25cents/lb when you come down".

Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    No no.

You are supposed to say, "Yeah I'll hang on to them and you can buy them for 25cents/lb when you come down".
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Theres a guy here that has over 600lbs of plates for 200 bucks. They may be ivankos too. Ill email him and find out.

this is where I got the plates from actually

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/spo/805843341.html he sells at .35 a lb
    Last edited by Swollen_Powell; 08-21-2008 at 08:08 AM.

Registered User IvankoBarbellCo's Avatar
    IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    In addition to the helpful info. above on tolerances, if it's just one side of the bar, it probably has to do with the sleeve. I assume it's not an Ivanko or other quality bar? Were those 35 lb. plates repainted? A couple of times, guys have called us up and it's been a question of paint drip that affects the fit. Maybe someone repainted the plates?

If you want to post a pic, that could be helpful.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #50 ()---()

Ivanko Barbell Company
    official website: www.ivankobarbell.com

View: //www.instagram.com/ivankobarbell
    Join: //www.********.com/ivankobarbell
    Follow: //www.twitter.com/ivankobarbell
    Watch: //www.youtube.com/ivankobarbell
    Newsletter: http://www.ivankobarbell.com/contact.html