Asst. to The Regional Mgr GetFamiliar's Avatar
    GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Having trouble keeping the weight off my toes during Squat

really struggling with pushing through my feet, notably with my heels, during my ATG squats. i'm tall and lanky enough to make scottie pippen proud. Any advice? Is it a support muscle weakness?

I used to stick a mat under my heels because it felt better to lean back more when i had that support. not sure if that's the best approach but my weights did go up.

spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GetFamiliar View Post
    really struggling with pushing through my feet, notably with my heels, during my ATG squats. i'm tall and lanky enough to make scottie pippen proud. Any advice? Is it a support muscle weakness?

I used to stick a mat under my heels because it felt better to lean back more when i had that support. not sure if that's the best approach but my weights did go up.
    You had the right idea with the mats. Try putting some plates under your heels. Really let the bar sit on your lower traps, keep your head up, and really try to sit back.

Practice, broski.

polifter88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polifter88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polifter88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polifter88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polifter88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polifter88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polifter88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polifter88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polifter88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polifter88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) polifter88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yes, get you a good shoe with a pretty big heel or at least something you feel comfortable in, let these be your 'squat' shoes if you will , and also you say you felt better sitting back on you heels but leme tell you there is a fine line between sitting to far back on your heels and getting stuck...you gotta find that groove of not being on your toes and not being TO FAR back on you heels. like the above guy said practice...again once you get to heavier weight sitting back on heels is not good.

/JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GetFamiliar View Post

I would expect sticking something under your heels would shift weight forward more toward your toes or make your stance less stable.

When you say lean back, do you mean make your torso more vertical? I've found that I can stay more on my heels by making my back a little more horizontal, somewhere around 45 degrees for me. That way, I can sit back into the squat and the bar is still fairly well balanced front to back.
    PL Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109470421&goto=newpost

Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by AnotherSet View Post
    I would expect sticking something under your heels would shift weight forward more toward your toes or make your stance less stable.
    You would think that would be the case, but what usually happens is they feel unbalanced with the extra height under their heel and compensate which fixes their form...its a trick thats good with beginning lifters.

I would say keep doing that until you get comfy with the movements.

locoboyzbetz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) locoboyzbetz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) locoboyzbetz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) locoboyzbetz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) locoboyzbetz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) locoboyzbetz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) locoboyzbetz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) locoboyzbetz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) locoboyzbetz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) locoboyzbetz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) locoboyzbetz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

hmm

sounds like your sitting to far forward when squatting. Try pulling your body back into the squat instead of leaning forward. Remember you want to sit down and push back up.

showtyme333 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showtyme333 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showtyme333 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showtyme333 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use to have this problem in high school up until my Junior year. I personally would not recommend putting something under your heel. It makes your quads work more than they should on the squat. What I did to fix it:
    1.Worked on "sitting" down into the squat (exagerating the butt out and chest out)
    2.gained proper flexibility in my upper hams/glutes.
    3.and gained proper flexibility in my achilles.
    really only took me about 2 months to fix it, most of the time it is simply muscles in joints not being flexible enough to allow the proper angles.

tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This may not be good but for me once I started getting heavier weights on the bar I found it much easier to keep my heels on the floor.