fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy How can I get bigger legs??

ok I am going to tell the truth, I have a nice upper body , but my legs are thin as hell. cause long time ago I use to skip legs day long time ago, I feel bad for that, now that I have been training 2 years my legs 2 times per week , with squats, dead lifts and with a lot of weight and also having a good nutrition, they still the same, is like no matter what I do ... I can get my upper body go bigger and bigger but my legs are not doing the same. and yes I lift heavy 4 sets of 10,8,6 and 4 reps the heaviest with SQUATS, free weights, DEADLIFTS, extension, blah blah.and cardio..... so my trainer says that maybe the solution is to w/o legs 3 days every week, the first day heaviest the 2d leg day light and burn the legs with a lot of reps, and the 3rd leg day in the week in decending order.

What do you think about it, can it be the great solution. or can someone please say me how can I make my legs and butt biggger!!

qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    could do a HST program designed mostly around your legs.
    For example:
    First 2 weeks: 1x15s
    2nd 2 weeks: 2x10s
    3rd 2 weeks: 3x5s
    Do squats and say hack squats/leg presses/some other core lift for your legs.

Others will have suggestions for you.
    Also think about ripptoes program-I made huge leg gains in strength and size on that program.

And cut the cardio down a bit if you do it a lot-esspecially if its a cardio that utilizes your legs (like running/biking e.t.c.)

pz

DXX is on a distinguished road. (+10) DXX is on a distinguished road. (+10) DXX is on a distinguished road. (+10) DXX is on a distinguished road. (+10) DXX is on a distinguished road. (+10) DXX is on a distinguished road. (+10) DXX is on a distinguished road. (+10) DXX is on a distinguished road. (+10) DXX is on a distinguished road. (+10) DXX is on a distinguished road. (+10) DXX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by qwerty1234 View Post
    Also think about ripptoes program-I made huge leg gains in strength and size on that program.
    qft

back to the basics RenegadeRows's Avatar
    RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Squats 3 times per week.

"Lift some weights
    Eat some steaks" - Xzibit
    CONTROLLED LABS - WINNING The WAR Against Genetics
    RenegadeRows [@] controlledlabs.com

wutdafukdidujusaytomeulib 1quick1's Avatar
    1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Eat more, sleep more, and squat more with heavier weights. They will have no choice but to grow.

Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Squatting higher reps and deadlifting low reps worked really well for me. Also incorperate their variations.

clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by fred7 View Post
    ok I am going to tell the truth, I have a nice upper body , but my legs are thin as hell. cause long time ago I use to skip legs day long time ago, I feel bad for that, now that I have been training 2 years my legs 2 times per week , with squats, dead lifts and with a lot of weight and also having a good nutrition, they still the same, is like no matter what I do ... I can get my upper body go bigger and bigger but my legs are not doing the same. and yes I lift heavy 4 sets of 10,8,6 and 4 reps the heaviest with SQUATS, free weights, DEADLIFTS, extension, blah blah.and cardio..... so my trainer says that maybe the solution is to w/o legs 3 days every week, the first day heaviest the 2d leg day light and burn the legs with a lot of reps, and the 3rd leg day in the week in decending order.

What do you think about it, can it be the great solution. or can someone please say me how can I make my legs and butt biggger!!
    You sound just like me, I have the same problem, I’ve got my upper body to grow well but the legs, no improvement so far.
    I keep trying different approaches to get mine to grow hoping I’ll hit on something that might eventually work.
    I’ve just started doing hi -rep squats and that sounds like a good idea doing them 3 times a week. Got to give it a try!
    Tennis balls?...........my Biceps are as big as Grapefruits!

Registered User BillabongVolcom's Avatar
    BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In Arnolds book he says he did higher reps for legs like 12-16 or almost 20 reps.

Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Working legs more than once a week is definitely a good idea. I'd keep one of those days for heavy work to drive strength progress. The other day I might work in the 12-15 rep range.

In addition to the basic squat and deadlift movements, you could try narrow stance squats, front squats, Romanian deadlifts, snatch-grip deadlifts, glute-ham raises, etc. You might also try incorporating some unilateral movements like Bulgarian squats or pistols.

fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fred7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by qwerty1234 View Post
    could do a HST program designed mostly around your legs.
    For example:
    First 2 weeks: 1x15s
    2nd 2 weeks: 2x10s
    3rd 2 weeks: 3x5s
    Do squats and say hack squats/leg presses/some other core lift for your legs.

Others will have suggestions for you.

And cut the cardio down a bit if you do it a lot-esspecially if its a cardio that utilizes your legs (like running/biking e.t.c.)

pz
    I am going to give a try on the HST program but ONLY FOR LEGS! 3 times a week for 6 weeks like you say increasing the weight. the other days of the week I´m gonna do chest, arms, shoulders, and back.
    It would look like this

1st and 2nd week:
    Monday legs 1x15s HST
    Tuesday :chest and back
    Wensday legs 1x15s HST adding w
    Thursday :arms,forearms, traps, shoulders
    Friday legs 1x15s HST adding w
    Saturday: chest and back, I have big guns so I think I will target one week chest and back and arms the next saturday.

3rd and 4th week
    the same but
    Monday, wensday and friday legs 2x10s adding more weight.

and 5th and week 6
    the same but
    Monday, wensday and friday legs 3X5s heavier.

What do you think?

Smile

Thanks all for writing I will let you know if this program will make my gains.

qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) qwerty1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hst for legs is good--just don't overtrain, but your legs can take quite a beating.
    Be careful to avoid injury's.

pz

xshinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xshinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xshinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xshinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xshinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xshinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xshinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xshinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xshinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xshinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xshinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

You could do legs twice a week and have good results. You could do legs once a week and have good results as well. Your problem is probably the intensity. When I do legs twice a week, first time around will be heavy enough for just 3 sets 6-8 reps for compound exercises. The 2nd time around will be light to do 3 sets 8-12 reps.

When I do legs once a week, I go all out like a beast just going for 4 sets 4-6 reps for only compound exercises and 3-4 sets 6-10 reps for isolations. Try different leg routines for at least every 6-8 weeks on average and I am guaranteeing you that they are going to grow. Your diet and rest are also very important factors for leg growth.

You could check out my thread called "my first power builder workout. I need critics." It has several leg exercises you might be willing to do for once a week, doing 4 sets for 4-6 reps on the compounds and 6-10 reps on the isolations. When going for raw power, rest time is really important so give yourself at least 3 minutes before going for the next set. I have been doing that for quite some time and it has been paying off.

I hope you are able to achieve your goals.
    A True Warrior Never Backs Down From A Challenge.

grissg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grissg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grissg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grissg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grissg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grissg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grissg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grissg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 1quick1 View Post
    Eat more, sleep more, and squat more with heavier weights. They will have no choice but to grow.
    This quote is pretty much right on. Everyone has valid points but I might go in a different direction with your legs. I believe bigger muscles push bigger weights. So my belief would do what you can do to squat heavier then you are now. You have been training them twice a week with less then desired results and you are squatting heavy. Maybe you should try training them once a week and squat heavier. You could split hams and quads up, but only squat once a week. If you are chemical free it is hard, if not impossible, to put maximum effort into squats more then once a week. Alot people think they squat heavy because they cut themselves short, I know I did for a long time. I could not possibly squat twice a week. I have trouble sitting down and getting up off the toliet for 3, 4 sometime 5 days after heavy squats. If you already had huge legs I could see training them 2-3 times a week for a period. With that said, a friend of mine (my brother) squats/deads/benches 3 times a week, same day, and has made same impressive gains. He is a seasoned lifter (20+ years) and already had BIG legs. In addition, that is all he is doing, those 3 lifts. New to this site and do not want to come off the wrong way. Just something to ponder. Would be intersted to hear others comments. Good luck
    Last edited by grissg; 01-17-2007 at 06:09 AM.

dpzwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try smolov, i gained 20 pounds on my squat in 3 weeks and 1 week of rest!

VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BillabongVolcom View Post
    In Arnolds book he says he did higher reps for legs like 12-16 or almost 20 reps.
    Sadly, Arnold's legs were his worst bodypart.

OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dpzwick View Post
    try smolov, i gained 20 pounds on my squat in 3 weeks and 1 week of rest!
    Thanks alot for that, I'm sure he has been waiting for your response for 4 years. now he can cross this off his bucket list finally.
    Shredded or Death

dnixon is on a distinguished road. (+10) dnixon is on a distinguished road. (+10) dnixon is on a distinguished road. (+10) dnixon is on a distinguished road. (+10) dnixon is on a distinguished road. (+10) dnixon is on a distinguished road. (+10) dnixon is on a distinguished road. (+10) dnixon is on a distinguished road. (+10) dnixon is on a distinguished road. (+10) dnixon is on a distinguished road. (+10) dnixon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by OminousShadow View Post
    Thanks alot for that, I'm sure he has been waiting for your response for 4 years. now he can cross this off his bucket list finally.
    Repped, gotta love sarcasm

IronMan1234 is not very helpful. (-500) IronMan1234 is not very helpful. (-500) IronMan1234 is not very helpful. (-500) IronMan1234 is not very helpful. (-500) IronMan1234 is not very helpful. (-500) IronMan1234 is not very helpful. (-500) IronMan1234 is not very helpful. (-500) IronMan1234 is not very helpful. (-500) IronMan1234 is not very helpful. (-500) IronMan1234 is not very helpful. (-500) IronMan1234 is not very helpful. (-500)
    wish i had your problem my legs will swell so big if i tried to leg press i dont even do them no more

andrewbrewer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Legs are a lot tougher to make gains then upper body is... especially the calfs. Like most said try HST, always seems to give good results.
    Andrew Brewer
    Best Mass Building Tips ---> http://www.massbuildingnow.com

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by andrewbrewer View Post
    Legs are a lot tougher to make gains then upper body is... especially the calfs. Like most said try HST, always seems to give good results.
    Bull. The legs are the best place to gain mass. Valve excluded. Yourdoinitwrong
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

tallman145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tallman145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tallman145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tallman145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tallman145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tallman145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tallman145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tallman145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tallman145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tallman145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tallman145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    squats is the bread and butter to legs.lots of them,,,,hack squats.try front squats.eat alot and lots of rest

kilo6490 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Swimming helps legs a lot. I have a friend who is a Navy seal, and when he went in he was the exact same size as me and now his legs are literally Twice as big as mine. Yes he does lift a lot, but he told me the thing that helped his legs the most was the swimming. Plus swimming is one of the best forms of cardio.

Registered User TrulyShreddedxx's Avatar
    TrulyShreddedxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fred7 View Post

More volume, more effort. Instead of 10,8,6,4, try doing 4 sets of 10 with the weight you used for 8's. Problem with a pyramid is, you are naturally going to use a weight that is too light for your higher rep sets, and your lower rep sets you aren't doing enough reps to cause muscle growth.

Also form and function over weight. If your goal is to have big legs, then you must train for leg size, as opposed to just seeing how much you can lift. That means a FULL range of motion, not any of this half rep **** I see everyone trying to pull off when they squat. That means breaking parallel on your squats. 200 pounds may not look as pretty on the bar, but trust me it hurts a hell of a lot worse when you do the exercise correctly than 300 does not even hitting parallel.

jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000)
    You didn't post you entire routine just mention that you do squats, deads, extensions and blah blah blah. So I may be being presumptuous here but could it be that you aren't hitting all of the muscles in your legs?
    Your doing squats which are glute and quad mainly, Deadlift which is glutes, and extensions, what about your hamstrings? If you aren't hitting your legs from all angles it is tough to say whether they won't grow or not, because they aren't being given the opportunity. If you are doing all of this already and didn't elaborate then this is redundant. A leg routine that I saw a lot of growth with was
    Squat 3x8-10
    Leg press 3x8-10
    SLDL 3x8-10
    Lyingeg curls 3x8-10
    Seated extensions 3x8-10
    And really try to focus on growing the muscle, your mind muscle connection, and not just trying to push the weight and train your ego.
    Any memphis sport.

roll tide