LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

30/30 Workout Plan

I've been doing a full body workout for several weeks with good results in the muscle department, but when I <<< REALLY LOOK IN THE MIRROR >>> I am not seeing what I want. I want that ripped, lean look.

I am trying something new based on a little research, and that is to hit a muscle group mostly heavy for 30 minutes, then do 30 minutes of high intensity cardio cycles. I'll put my calories at about 2000 a day.

Here's the plan:

Monday: Arms, Cardio
    Tuesday: Legs, Cardio
    Wednesday: REST
    Thursday: Chest/Shoulders, Cardio
    Friday: Back, Cardio

*optional extra cardio on Sundays

Comments? Anyone want to try this with me? We'll post pictures.

I've personally used my valuable gym time mostly for weights, but when I see what I want, I know cardio will help, plus being a bit stricter on weekends.

Lane
    "Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. It is the wine of a new procreation, and I am Bacchus who presses out this glorious wine for men and makes them drunk with the spirit."

Beethoven

Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Post your BF level and maybe someone will help. It looks to me like you are going to burn off any muscle that you have and end up looking the same only smaller. IMO

Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    At 5ft 8 weighing in at 152lbs and your trying to lean up?? How can you not be ripped at that weight? Me thinks your training program sucks or your not pushing yourself like you ought to … or both.

There's an average of around 5 - 6 different training splits and each one is designed for a particular purpose. From strength to size to weight loss.

Each split targets a certain amount of muscle groups, ranging from a full body workout (6 muscle groups) all the way to a single muscle group, as well as an assortment of push pull routines.

The split you decide upon also determines how many exercises you should go for per muscle group which in turn would direct you toward the quantity of sets and the rep range you should be targeting, depending of course what it is your trying to achieve.

It’s not just a matter of grabbing a weighted barbell and grinding out whatever comes to mind.

There’s a lot of thought that goes into designing a proper training program. All of which is with the end result in mind.

I know that the muscle bound gym rat may give you the impression that he’s a can or two shy of a six pack however he looks the way he looks cause of extensive research and lotsa trial and error.

Personally I think your ignorance has led you down the wrong path and I would suggest that you read up on the ins and outs of designing your body before you venture another step forward.

Body building is an art form. It’s not a sport for the brainless as is so often thought.
    Walk in the Light. It's easier to see the Truth there.

reamade is just really nice. (+1000) reamade is just really nice. (+1000) reamade is just really nice. (+1000) reamade is just really nice. (+1000) reamade is just really nice. (+1000) reamade is just really nice. (+1000) reamade is just really nice. (+1000) reamade is just really nice. (+1000) reamade is just really nice. (+1000) reamade is just really nice. (+1000) reamade is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lane, I think that breaking it down to 4 seperate workouts is a good idea. This will allow you to focus on each body part more. I think that a little more muscle will help you have the lean, hard look that you want. Good luck

http://reamade.wordpress.com/
    If you're gonna to talk the talk, you've got walk the walk!! Woooooo!!!

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LanePianoMan View Post
    I've been doing a full body workout for several weeks with good results in the muscle department, but when I <<< REALLY LOOK IN THE MIRROR >>> I am not seeing what I want. I want that ripped, lean look.

I am trying something new based on a little research, and that is to hit a muscle group mostly heavy for 30 minutes, then do 30 minutes of high intensity cardio cycles. I'll put my calories at about 2000 a day.

Here's the plan:

Monday: Arms, Cardio
    Tuesday: Legs, Cardio
    Wednesday: REST
    Thursday: Chest/Shoulders, Cardio
    Friday: Back, Cardio

*optional extra cardio on Sundays

Comments? Anyone want to try this with me? We'll post pictures.

I've personally used my valuable gym time mostly for weights, but when I see what I want, I know cardio will help, plus being a bit stricter on weekends.

Lane

If your current goal is to continue dropping weight why not continue with the fullbody approach and limit time between sets. Using compound movements 3 times a week will require more energy and burn more calories. Performing longer moderate cardio sessions on non-workout days will help shuttle freah red blood cells around your body and also burn calories. This is one reason Circuit Training can be so successful. My thoughts.

oldfart

LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Forced View Post
    At 5ft 8 weighing in at 152lbs and your trying to lean up?? How can you not be ripped at that weight? Me thinks your training program sucks or your not pushing yourself like you ought to ? or both.

It?s not just a matter of grabbing a weighted barbell and grinding out whatever comes to mind.

There?s a lot of thought that goes into designing a proper training program. All of which is with the end result in mind.

Personally I think your ignorance has led you down the wrong path and I would suggest that you read up on the ins and outs of designing your body before you venture another step forward.

Body building is an art form. It?s not a sport for the brainless as is so often thought.
    I appreciate your help, but I have been a avid reader of Muscle and Fitness, Bodybuilding.com and have tried just about every training program ever created. So at this point, I am either being too picky about my body or my body is just very stubborn - I don't feel ignorance is to blame.

I am about 16% body fat and I'll post a picture soon. I have never weighed much for some reason. I weighed 76 lbs. in 8th grade!! By working out for many years I got up to around 135-140 range, then the most I've evered weighed was 175lbs. I looked horrible at that weight. Sure I had muscles, but way too fat for my tastes. I have always worn pants 29-31", but at that time I had to buy a couple of 36" pants. I am now right at 155lbs and "feel" fat around the waist.

Many people look good at these higher waist sizes and poundages, but I guess I have extremely small bones so when my weight gets up to a certain point, I look too fat around the waist.

I have also noticed that at my gyms (LA Fitness) almost everyone has the same problem. Good muscles, but too fat. My goal may be different from most others' here: I am about through with trying to add bulk, but want to shrink the waist from here on out.

I did my 30/30 today and it was exhausting but invigorating. I did 20 sets for arms, 9 biceps and 11 triceps and then did high intensity cardio intervals for 30 minutes immediately after the weights. I looked like someone had thrown buckets of water on me and I felt extremely pumped.

Maybe I am just treading water so to speak because of my diet - not measuring every ounce of food on a scale or counting every single calorie. Maybe it is a precise numbers game after the body has adapted to many years of working out. OR....maybe I need to hire a trainer.

Lane
    Last edited by LanePianoMan; 08-18-2008 at 11:03 AM.
    "Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. It is the wine of a new procreation, and I am Bacchus who presses out this glorious wine for men and makes them drunk with the spirit."

Beethoven

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I appreciate your help, but I have been a avid reader of Muscle and Fitness, Bodybuilding.com and have tried just about every training program ever created.

I have also noticed that at my gyms (LA Fitness) almost everyone has the same problem. Good muscles, but too fat. My goal may be different from most others' here: I am about through with trying to add bulk, but want to shrink the waist from here on out.

I did my 30/30 today and it was exhausting but invigorating. I did 20 sets for arms, 9 biceps and 11 triceps and then did high intensity cardio intervals for 30 minutes immediately after the weights. I looked like someone had thrown buckets of water on me and I felt extremely pumped.

Maybe I am just treading water so to speak because of my diet - not measuring every ounce of food on a scale or counting every single calorie. Maybe it is a precise numbers game after the body has adapted to many years of working out. OR....maybe I need to hire a trainer.

Lane

9 times out of 10 the progress one makes has nothing to do with the routine itself. It's what you put into each and every set. If you do not constantly challange yourself your results will only be as good as the level of intensity you are putting forth.

Working your arms may work up a sweat and burn some calories but will do nothing to tap into fat as a fuel source.

The diet is extremely important which is why you can look around the gym and see the results of not understanding that. What you eat and when you eat it dictates how the calories are used. The more important the goal the more extreme the process gets. This is one reason that maintaining a log book along the way is valuable. If you leave the diet plan to guess work, the results become a crap shoot.

Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I appreciate your help, but I have been a avid reader of Muscle and Fitness, Bodybuilding.com and have tried just about every training program ever created. So at this point, I am either being too picky about my body or my body is just very stubborn - I don't feel ignorance is to blame.

I am about 16% body fat and I'll post a picture soon. I have never weighed much for some reason. I weighed 76 lbs. in 8th grade!! By working out for many years I got up to around 135-140 range, then the most I've evered weighed was 175lbs. I looked horrible at that weight. Sure I had muscles, but way too fat for my tastes. I have always worn pants 29-31", but at that time I had to buy a couple of 36" pants. I am now right at 155lbs and "feel" fat around the waist.

Many people look good at these higher waist sizes and poundages, but I guess I have extremely small bones so when my weight gets up to a certain point, I look too fat around the waist.

Lane
    Your post comes across as one determined to succeed. That?s the best attitude to have. I like the ?never say die? tone I?m getting from you. That?s very much my outlook.

I never took into consideration that you may be a small boned fella.

I?m sure you are aware that no matter the routine you design and no matter how hard you may work out, it all means NOTHING if your diet isn?t right. If you wanna gain size or lose fat, it all begins in the kitchen first and then under the weights.

It took me near on 7 months to pick up 12lbs and that by eating clean. What a mission. I am currently ridding myself of this extra fat, trying to hang onto as much muscles as possible. If that means 10 to 15 percent of the 12lbs I?d be happy.

My daily diet consists of oats, brown rice, tuna, boiled eggs, skinless chicken, broccoli, yams and various fruits. I drink around 4 liters of water every day. I take 210g of whey protein split into 3 x 60g shakes and 30g mixed into my oats in the morning and of course a good multi vit. Other than that I take no other supplements.

My current training split is a Push / Pull routine

Day 1 ? Quads / Push
    Day 2 ? Hams / Pull
    Day 3 ? Abdomen & cardio
    Day 4 ? Quads / Push
    Day 5 ? Abdomen and cardio
    Day 6 ? Hams / Pull
    Day 7 ? Rest

I use 3 exercises for each body part. I use 1 heavy compound exercise (Squats, Dead Lifts, Bench Press, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, and Hang Clean & Press) with a rep range of 6 ? 8 for 3 sets, followed by 2 secondary exercises per muscle group with a rep range of 8 ? 12 reps x 3 sets.

I find that by working my central nervous system with only one heavy lift per muscle group helps me feel less fried the following day. As a 45 year old man my body can?t take the battering it used to and I?ve had to accept this and make the necessary adjustments.

The southern hemisphere is on the verge of its spring season and I hope to be looking my best come end of November. Then it?s time to strut my stuff.

I hope the above gives you some ideas.

Originally Posted by Fifty+ View Post
    9 times out of 10 the progress one makes has nothing to do with the routine itself. It's what you put into each and every set. If you do not constantly challange yourself your results will only be as good as the level of intensity you are putting forth.

Working your arms may work up a sweat and burn some calories but will do nothing to tap into fat as a fuel source.

The diet is extremely important which is why you can look around the gym and see the results of not understanding that. What you eat and when you eat it dictates how the calories are used. The more important the goal the more extreme the process gets. This is one reason that maintaining a log book along the way is valuable. If you leave the diet plan to guess work, the results become a crap shoot.

Good post!!!

thanks!

Once again, great advice which is why I come here. Thanks guys!

I did my 30/30 with legs being the body part. 3 sets leg press, 4 sets calf press, 3 sets squats (in the middle of routine so I was pre-exhausted) then finished up with three sets of leg extensions and three sets of leg curls.

Cardio was a b?>#+_ after the leg workout, but I kept pushing. Once again I was drenched. Two days in a row of great workouts. I am going to follow through on this thread and post some pictures from all angles this weekend. I think this might work.

And, yes....I am going to really monitor my diet much more closely. You see, for me, it's not so much that I don't know what to do, it's that I don't push myself hard enough. Gyms are FULL of guys who have gone regularly for ten years and look exactly the SAME OR WORSE all those years later.

This proves to everyone, it's not just going through the motions. It's what you do while you are in there AND what you put into your stomach on a daily basis. This is the most planned routine I've followed for quite some time and so far it "feels" really great (and challenging).

Lane

Beethoven