skimmy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lose Weight AND Build Muscle

Hey everyone,

I am 5'10" and approximately 200 lbs. Unfortunately the majority of this weight is not muscle but instead fat. I just moved and in my new house I will finally be able to dedicate a room for my weights/fitness equipment. That said, I hope to be able to start working out in the next 2 weeks. My problem is that I have ~50 lbs of fat to lose. From most of what I've read I understand that I have to have an excess of calories in order for my muscles to have the calories they need to grow. Given that, I don't understand how I can go about losing the fat that I need to while at the same time build muscle. Not only do I have a fairly comprehensive exercise/weight set but I also have an exercise bike for cardio. My concern is that if I lift weights and do a lot of cardio at the same time that I am not going to be able to build any muscle. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by skimmy84 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am 5'10" and approximately 200 lbs. Unfortunately the majority of this weight is not muscle but instead fat. I just moved and in my new house I will finally be able to dedicate a room for my weights/fitness equipment. That said, I hope to be able to start working out in the next 2 weeks. My problem is that I have ~50 lbs of fat to lose. From most of what I've read I understand that I have to have an excess of calories in order for my muscles to have the calories they need to grow. Given that, I don't understand how I can go about losing the fat that I need to while at the same time build muscle. Not only do I have a fairly comprehensive exercise/weight set but I also have an exercise bike for cardio. My concern is that if I lift weights and do a lot of cardio at the same time that I am not going to be able to build any muscle. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    You can loose your fat, gain strength but I don't think you will get bigger muscles. Your better off loosing the fat 1st anyways, whats the point in getting bigger if you got all fat hiding it right?
    10/06/08 Bulking to 200lbs.

ALL 1x5
    Bench: 160
    Deadlift: 205
    Squat: 275

wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The best way to achieve this is that you lose all the fat in your body and start building up from there.

skimmy84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Brendon_80 View Post
    You can loose your fat, gain strength but I don't think you will get bigger muscles. Your better off loosing the fat 1st anyways, whats the point in getting bigger if you got all fat hiding it right?
    My thought was that there wouldn't be too much of a concern in not 'seeing' the added muscle as eventually the fat would be gone. I was thinking that by looking ahead and building the muscle now and gradually losing the fat I could eventually show off my new-found muscles.

Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brendon_80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by skimmy84 View Post
    My thought was that there wouldn't be too much of a concern in not 'seeing' the added muscle as eventually the fat would be gone. I was thinking that by looking ahead and building the muscle now and gradually losing the fat I could eventually show off my new-found muscles.
    When you bulk you gain some fat + muscle if you can deal with that, and cut after that, then by all means go right ahead, its your body bro.
    10/06/08 Bulking to 200lbs.

ALL 1x5
    Bench: 160
    Deadlift: 205
    Squat: 275