rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

One step forward two steps back

Ever feel like whatever you try to do to improve yourself that something is gonna sabotage you?

Go back 5 years. I was beginning to lose some weight and exercise again. That summer I was also doing a lot of remodeling jobs for some friends on the side....Ended up that through the summer I ended up developing a severe herniation in my back. Through the help of a good chiro and some core training, 2 years later I decided I could finally get back in the gym and start lifting.

About two months into my lifting I developed severe abdominal pain and ended up in the ER then being admitted to the hospital. They did an exploratory laproscopic surgery on me to hopefully find the problem as all of my other diagnostic tests came back normal. They ended up taking out my appendix and in the process giving me a free clot in my superior messentaric vein putting me on coumadin for the rest of my life. To top that off, they didn't find the problem. Over the course of another year I was in and out of the hospital with the same pains and finally almost one year to the day later they finally figgured out it was my gall bladder and removed it.

For a year afterward I felt great. no problems....so after a little more than a year and putting on MANY pounds I decided I needed to get back at it. That was January of this year. Made all kinds of progress. Lost 50 plus pounds. Then a few wweeks ago I hurt my forearm. The docs feel it's a pulled muscle. I wasn't even able to hold the bar let alone lift with my upper body.

Last night. 2 weeks and a day after the pull I decided to try the muscle as it was beginning to feel a lot better. Well, it's not nearly as better as I thought. I can't even hold a dumbell in the starting position of a military press or bench press. I also can't pull anything toward myself at all without severe pain. I'm at my wits end here.

I ended up just leaving the gym mid workout last night I was so frunstrated with myself. I'm very careful at the gym to use good form and to stretch etc as to not hurt anything...then I go out in the world and **** just happens. SOmetimes I feel like I'm the most unlucky sumbeech in the world.

SOry for the long post and the vent...but I really need to get this out of my system.

psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    life is all about **** happening... some get it one way, others get it another...

For the most part I have been lucky to not have to much setback in the injury departments, but the other setbacks have been plentiful..LOL

you still have legs, so get to walking, running, and building your foundation
    BRB, going hunting...

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by psychowolverine View Post
    life is all about **** happening... some get it one way, others get it another...

For the most part I have been lucky to not have to much setback in the injury departments, but the other setbacks have been plentiful..LOL

you still have legs, so get to walking, running, and building your foundation
    I have been man....doing legs twice a week and running 3 times for now.

Just had a bad day yesterday I guess.

stickarms is on a distinguished road. (+10) stickarms is on a distinguished road. (+10) stickarms is on a distinguished road. (+10) stickarms is on a distinguished road. (+10) stickarms is on a distinguished road. (+10) stickarms is on a distinguished road. (+10) stickarms is on a distinguished road. (+10) stickarms is on a distinguished road. (+10) stickarms is on a distinguished road. (+10) stickarms is on a distinguished road. (+10) stickarms is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I feel your pain! I had a severe injury last winter and a very serious illness and had to take a lot of time off from working out and any physical exercise. I was so totally depresed.

I just want to say, never give up. You can still walk. I agree with wolverine. Build taht foundation. Continue to eat clean and healthy. Staying active and eating right will help witth the blues. Keep us posted!

JS
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." — C.S. Lewis

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rpaul11 View Post
    Ever feel like whatever you try to do to improve yourself that something is gonna sabotage you?

Go back 5 years. I was beginning to lose some weight and exercise again. That summer I was also doing a lot of remodeling jobs for some friends on the side....Ended up that through the summer I ended up developing a severe herniation in my back. Through the help of a good chiro and some core training, 2 years later I decided I could finally get back in the gym and start lifting.

About two months into my lifting I developed severe abdominal pain and ended up in the ER then being admitted to the hospital. They did an exploratory laproscopic surgery on me to hopefully find the problem as all of my other diagnostic tests came back normal. They ended up taking out my appendix and in the process giving me a free clot in my superior messentaric vein putting me on coumadin for the rest of my life. To top that off, they didn't find the problem. Over the course of another year I was in and out of the hospital with the same pains and finally almost one year to the day later they finally figgured out it was my gall bladder and removed it.

For a year afterward I felt great. no problems....so after a little more than a year and putting on MANY pounds I decided I needed to get back at it. That was January of this year. Made all kinds of progress. Lost 50 plus pounds. Then a few wweeks ago I hurt my forearm. The docs feel it's a pulled muscle. I wasn't even able to hold the bar let alone lift with my upper body.

Last night. 2 weeks and a day after the pull I decided to try the muscle as it was beginning to feel a lot better. Well, it's not nearly as better as I thought. I can't even hold a dumbell in the starting position of a military press or bench press. I also can't pull anything toward myself at all without severe pain. I'm at my wits end here.

I ended up just leaving the gym mid workout last night I was so frunstrated with myself. I'm very careful at the gym to use good form and to stretch etc as to not hurt anything...then I go out in the world and **** just happens. SOmetimes I feel like I'm the most unlucky sumbeech in the world.

SOry for the long post and the vent...but I really need to get this out of my system.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. You've read my training log. I spend more time recovering from stupid injuries and illness than I do actually lifting iron.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I won't prattle on about it, but you know what I just dealt with.

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    50lbs lost is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats!!!

I don't know how often or if ever you peek at my journal.
    You would see what a mental case at times I can be due to uncontrollable circumstances.

Take the time you need to heal and keep doing what you are with the legs and running. In no time you will be back where you left off.

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bamaborn67 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    All I can say is "If life rips you a new ******* then take a dump and wipe twice."
    Don't give up. Use your head to come up with ways to work around your injuries. If you've been to the doctor and it is just a pulled muscle then give it time to heal while working other parts of the body and before you know it you will be able to go at it full blast. Just be Careful!!!!
    GO HEAVY OR GO HOME!!!

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bamaborn67 View Post
    All I can say is "If life rips you a new ******* then take a dump and wipe twice."
    Don't give up. Use your head to come up with ways to work around your injuries. If you've been to the doctor and it is just a pulled muscle then give it time to heal while working other parts of the body and before you know it you will be able to go at it full blast. Just be Careful!!!!
    That's where I am right now. TKD and running are on the shelf for me presently (hell, walking is hard enough presently), so I've stepped up my lifting to just about on a daily basis right now. The trick is spacing my groups far enough apart, as everything I do has been built around a 4 day split. Trying to juggle right now so that I don't work the same groups anymore frequently then 3 days apart, it's easier then breaking down what I currently do to try to create a 5th split.

harleygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harleygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harleygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harleygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harleygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harleygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harleygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harleygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harleygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harleygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harleygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yesterday must have been a rough day everywhere. I too left the gym in total frustration at my lack of strength. Today? Sick. Waiting to go see the doctor. It is what it is, man. You have to take the time to heal and then you have to get back at it. Don't let one minor set back totally derail the accomplishments you've made this year!!!! Best of luck.

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Bad times and short comings will only make you stronger and wiser in the long run, hang in there! maybe you could try to find something other than weight lifting for now. Just keep getting back up and moving forward!!
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I had all the usual suspects (aches, pains, pulls/strains) the first year I got serious about lifting. It may have something to do with the body not keeping up with where the mind is it. The next year? None of those same problems reappeared and haven't ever since (*knocks on wood*).
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000)
    In the last 8 years, the longest I've gone without an injury that prevented me from lifting (usually for months or more at a time) was 20 months. And the last few months of that I was working though a shoulder impingement that I then had surgery on.

**** happens, to some people more than others, some give up, some probably should give up, some can't.

I probably should give up because when I'm injured it definitely affects my mood and relationship with my wife and kids. But I can't. It's not going to happen, so I live though the injuries, do what I can to stay as fit as I can and enjoy every workout that doesn't get me injured.

But I hope your venting helped you mood. Look at the process in the long term - have a 3,5 and even a 10 year plan. That way a setback of a few months doesn't seem like such a big deal. Instead of focusing on what you can't do, find things you can do. For instance I recently started swimming and it was great. I couldn't swim hard 4-5 months ago, but at least it was something I could do, and I focussed on that rather than all the things I couldn't do.

Originally Posted by Jules Verne View Post

But I hope your venting helped you mood. Look at the process in the long term - have a 3,5 and even a 10 year plan. That way a setback of a few months doesn't seem like such a big deal. Instead of focusing on what you can't do, find things you can do. For instance I recently started swimming and it was great. I couldn't swim hard 4-5 months ago, but at least it was something I could do, and I focussed on that rather than all the things I couldn't do.
    yes...it helped. took a while to get over it, but I am feeling better now. Ate well today, got it off my chest. Hopefully I'll be good to go now for another few weeks till things heal up a little more.

Thanks for all the positive feedback...yall are the best

struggling with diet Geoff Richards's Avatar
    Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Bad times and short comings will only make you stronger and wiser in the long run, hang in there! maybe you could try to find something other than weight lifting for now. Just keep getting back up and moving forward!!
    LMAO at that image

to the OP,I know too well of what you are going through, keep at it,you WILL win.
    Best wishes

Do it or don't do it... tomdana's Avatar
    tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Life time achievement

The fact that you have come back so many times is testimony that you are going to make progress. This is where progress pics may help you if you have them. I was impressed at all that you have achieved despite the setbacks. I too have setbacks, not the kind you speak of, but mostly a tough schedule, so i know how frustrating it can be. Hats off to you for making the legs work in place of the upper body. Take care and good luck healing.
    Do it or Don't do it, There is no try

tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Must spread reps

Originally Posted by gbg View Post

That was my day today! I can smile and relax now. Thanks.

Griff79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griff79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griff79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griff79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griff79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griff79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griff79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griff79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griff79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griff79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griff79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I completely understand. I am fighting 3 constant injuries that prevent me from making the gains I know I am capable of. It messes with my head sometimes too. I also had a ton of personal things go down in 2007 so it was kind of a double whammy.

I tell you this to let you know that you are not on an island with this kind of stuff. We just have to make adjustments and forge ahead. I am thinking thats what life is all about making adjustments and overcoming the obstacles in our way.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger
    If you have lemons make lemon aide
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going
    Too many cliche's

Anyway, just keep after it
    Griff
    Last edited by Griff79; 08-15-2008 at 09:59 AM.

MagnumXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) MagnumXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) MagnumXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) MagnumXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) MagnumXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) MagnumXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) MagnumXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) MagnumXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) MagnumXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) MagnumXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) MagnumXL will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool yep!

There is always something hiding in the shadows, just waiting to jump out and screw your plans. At my age it is tendonitis in my right elbow where the biceps attaches. I use antiinflamitories and ice but ouch! Hang in there, man.
    LIVE fully, LAUGH often, LOVE much
    Philippians 3:13-14

Regrets

Originally Posted by tomdana View Post
    That was my day today! I can smile and relax now. Thanks.
    I should have never posted that about my day until it was done. I did not get home again until 7:30 this am to shower and return to my office. I had babies dropping sick one right after another last night requiring full resuscitation. I hope it is out of my system for a while. It was a rough day.

JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rpaul11 View Post

Sorry to hear about all you've been through on this mate - I hope you get a better run at things shortly. I've been ill twice this year, once from a bacterial infection and once from food poisoning (dont trust other people when it comes to how long they keep stuff in their fridges!) and it's effectively meant I'm in the same place now as I was about 3-4 months ago. Not as bad as your situation by any means but frustrating.

A quick note about the real world - I often get roped in to help friends move house or other physical work, and I find by making sure I dont do anything more strenuous than the normal people there, it prevents niggling injuries.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JonnyStead View Post
    Sorry to hear about all you've been through on this mate - I hope you get a better run at things shortly. I've been ill twice this year, once from a bacterial infection and once from food poisoning (dont trust other people when it comes to how long they keep stuff in their fridges!) and it's effectively meant I'm in the same place now as I was about 3-4 months ago. Not as bad as your situation by any means but frustrating.

A quick note about the real world - I often get roped in to help friends move house or other physical work, and I find by making sure I dont do anything more strenuous than the normal people there, it prevents niggling injuries.
    I think that it's funny when the same people who may talkdown bodybuilding as being too narcissistic or selfish will solicit assistance in moving heavy objects from those exact same people.
    Time To Re-Schedule