LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Increasing KCals and Getting Leaner

I have heard of this happening before, and as much as I believe in it and all of the "Starvation mode" stuff, and have experienced some of it myself, I like to hear about other's personal experiences. Namely, how did you go about increasing? Did you pick a ratio and just up the numbers? Did you add a meal? Did you add in carbs, fats, or proteins? Who has had success with this method and how long did it take?

Thanks, girls!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109800291

Yammin' it up with the Falcon--- my new journal as I seek to get back in shape and tackle some ultra runs and some forestry.

The world is older and bigger than we are. This is a hard truth for some folks to swallow- Edward Abbey.

LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) LionChick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bump?

Yammin' it up with the Falcon--- my new journal as I seek to get back in shape and tackle some ultra runs and some forestry.

The world is older and bigger than we are. This is a hard truth for some folks to swallow- Edward Abbey.

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Can't help you much....I eat more: I gain....I'm eating less: still gaining..don't know what to do!!
    "Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. ": Saint Augustine

"So what exactly would you say you DO here??"

"Does this suit make me look fat??"
    "No, your face does."

tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, I was in starvation mode for 3 years. lol.. and just increased my cals a few weeks ago. I just added in a whole egg here, an extra oz or two of meat there, a few fish oil caps... and before I knew it, I had increased by 200 cals a day. I was losing BF, then when I started using more soy protein I gained. I've dropped that and will see what happens. It takes time after you increase your cals for your body to readjust an start burning fat again. I'm still learning that. lol. I also increased my cals SLOWLY... 1000, then 1200, then 1300, then 1400...now I'm at 1500 - 1600 with a 50/30/20 (some days 50/20/30) macro ratio. Its worked in the respect that I am not gaining any fat...I have gained weight though which I'm sure if muscle seeing as how I am increasing my weights weekly. I increased my cals over 2 months, so dont be afraid to take it slow.
    ~*~The ONLY thing standing in the way of YOUR success is YOUSELF!~*~

|~|DOMS-DA-DOMS-DOMS-DOMS!|~|

My Journal: http://www.scivation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173

Getting Ripped! SCIVATION CHA STYLE! :)

I am not sure what to do... I eat a lot, I gain. I eat almost nothing (I mean like 400-500 kcals a day) and I gain. I lift weights, I gain. I run 10 miles a day, I still gain.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is getting higher calories... I want to believe that it works, more calories will get me out of starvation and into weight loss, because that's what I read everywhere, but I havenn't heard anyone yet who can confirm that yes, they ate more and got above their BMR and started to lose weight!

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hon....I'm going to be honest here..you are STARVING yourself...you're running miles and miles a day and eating under 1000 calories..you will NOT gain muscle and you WILL gain fat b/c your body is trying to not let you DIE. You must start increasing calories NOW or I'm really scared for your future health...you are so smart and funny and witty and warm and wonderful..you know better than this...
    "Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. ": Saint Augustine

"So what exactly would you say you DO here??"

"Does this suit make me look fat??"
    "No, your face does."

kellyrippagunz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kellyrippagunz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kellyrippagunz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kellyrippagunz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kellyrippagunz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kellyrippagunz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kellyrippagunz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kellyrippagunz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kellyrippagunz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kellyrippagunz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kellyrippagunz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Same story here. Ive upped my calories in attempt to get out of this 'starvation mode' and I've gained. None of my clothes fit the way they used to and JEEZ that is hard to adjust to! Still waiting to see some kind of turn around... its frustrating, but Im sticking it out. I love working out and I love eating -- so this is much better than starving myself and having no energy!

tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiffy_sugar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am the first one to say that eating more sucks... because since your body is in starvation mode, you WILL GAIN WEIGHT the first few weeks to couple of months until your metabolism is back in balance. Its a long a painful road, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm in the same boat as you... I hated people telling me to eat more, but I feel so much better now that I do. And yes, I gained weight...its a bloating stage that those of us who have starved ourselves have to go through. You know why you will gain? Because your poor body is saying "holy crap! Theres food! Better store it up in case theres another starvation crisis!" But, that stops, and you start to play with your macros and figure out what is best and you start to lose fat while gaining/preserving muscle. Your body requires a certain amount of calories a day just survive... your resting metabolic rate. Then, you have your maintanance, which is what you require to maintain your current weight. I promise you once you find these numbers, and force your metabolism into overdrive (as I am TRYING to do), your body will get the message that you wont starve it and its ok to let go of some fat. But it WILL NOT happen on 1000 cals a day, and if for sure wont happen with you doing a ton of cardio... Your body will shut down and give out before you lose fat.

And yes, you will gain also with lifting weights... the goal however is to maintain your weight or lose a few but force your body to eat its own fat stores. The gaining does come from muscle. I freaked out when I started gaining weight when I started lifting... and you know what? It was muslce! I started out the year with 24% of body fat, I've gained about 5 - 10 lbs since then, but my body fat has goine down to 16%... and yeah, I've gained fat here and there as I have been adjusting my macros trying to lose that last bit of fat...but its a process. You didn't gain the fat overnight, it isn't coming off overnight. Take heart girl that you are not alone in this and all us women on here have gone through the same thing!
    Last edited by tiffy_sugar; 08-15-2008 at 03:59 PM.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Me! But it took awhile to get my metabolism going again. There was a thread recently where several women pipped in about increasing cals and then seeing fat loss, but I can't find it at the moment. And I'm trying to get ready to leave town.

I ate 1200 or less for about a year and a half due to food intolerances and not knowing what I could eat. I came here, listened to Amanda, and got them up. Briefly to 1500 then up to 1800 for 2 solid months. Then 1700 for 3 months. Then I decided to try and lean up a bit and went down to around 1500 for 3 months. I did lose some fat, but it sure seemed painful and my lifting suffered. I had been lifting 3x a week and no cardio. Then I added a 4th lifting day, just 15 minutes of cardio, and raised the cals to 1600-1700 for the last 3 months. Now I am doing much better gaining muscle and slowing losing bf. I actually get hungry now and have some days where I've eaten as much as 1900 calories.

I think my metabolism is still a bit broken, but I'm also hypothyroid. I'm also down to probably only needing to lose 5-6 pounds of body fat to be where I'll be happy. Those last 5 pounds are a bugger. Oh, and I'm on the precipice of menopause which I know is not helping.

Hope this helps.

sammy22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have just changed my diet to a 40/40/20. Previously I was having around 1400 cals with a higher ratio of protein and yeh i lost heaps...but then it stopped. So, i have now increased to 1900 and I feel like I'm losing (mind you I'm working my butt off 6 day split and cardio every day). The thing I've noticed most is that I'm not picking throughout the day anymore, I have my 6 meals and don't feel the need for anymore.

MariDanisa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy increase calories lose weight?

well this is the first time I have heard this, but then again I am rather new to this. someone please help me. I want to lose 10% body fat in a year. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I eat 6 small meals a day, don't eat after 7pm, workout 5 days a week, cardio and strenght training every day. does someone have any idea what I can do to lose more body fat. Should I cut the cardio to two days for one hour and do 5 days of strenght training. I am at a bind.
    In what ways can I change myself today to become better tomorrow.

its 80 - 90% all about your diet. You are working out probably too much if you are new to it... you might want to cut down to 3 days a week of weights, 3 - 5 days a week for cardio. Post a sample of your diet so we can get a better idea of you macros.

I am a former elite distance runner. By elite, I mean "Olympic caliber"-- so I am not new to working out. I have been running for 8 years. Before I started running, i did Tae Kwon Do for the AAU. I did this for 11 years, back when I was in public schools as a kid. I usually practiced between 1 and 3 hours a day for that. So working out has been part of my life since I was about 6 years old!

Sample of my diet is in my log... and that was "uncommonly high" for me, as I was aiming to make it to 1200 kcals a day.

A normal day for me is

100g sweet potato for breakfast
    1/2 a scoop of whey protein
    1/2 serving soy creamer
    vitamins

100 g sweet potato for lunch
    3-4 egg whites
    a few bits of broccoli or asparagus

6 oz. chicken for dinner
    psyllium husks
    okra, squash, carrots, etc. probably about 1/2 cup

small decaf coffee with 1/2 soy creamer serving for night

on this diet my weight has sky rocketed and i am fatter than ever. this is also the most carbs i've eaten in probably, uhm, about 3 years.

as you can see, it is not nearly "enough" for an active runner. which is why I think that i may deal with the "starvation issue" especially since all my thyroid levels are low according to my doctor and this weight gain is "unexplainable"

Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    Me! But it took awhile to get my metabolism going again. There was a thread recently where several women pipped in about increasing cals and then seeing fat loss, but I can't find it at the moment. And I'm trying to get ready to leave town.

I ate 1200 or less for about a year and a half due to food intolerances and not knowing what I could eat. I came here, listened to Amanda, and got them up. Briefly to 1500 then up to 1800 for 2 solid months. Then 1700 for 3 months. Then I decided to try and lean up a bit and went down to around 1500 for 3 months. I did lose some fat, but it sure seemed painful and my lifting suffered. I had been lifting 3x a week and no cardio. Then I added a 4th lifting day, just 15 minutes of cardio, and raised the cals to 1600-1700 for the last 3 months. Now I am doing much better gaining muscle and slowing losing bf. I actually get hungry now and have some days where I've eaten as much as 1900 calories.

I think my metabolism is still a bit broken, but I'm also hypothyroid. I'm also down to probably only needing to lose 5-6 pounds of body fat to be where I'll be happy. Those last 5 pounds are a bugger. Oh, and I'm on the precipice of menopause which I know is not helping.

Hope this helps.
    I am hypothyroid too... but I have heard that should only be a 100 to 200 kcal difference perday?

I am going to be adding lifting in starting tomorrow again!!

I would love to feel "hungry"... I don't even remember what that is like!

Originally Posted by tiffy_sugar View Post
    I am the first one to say that eating more sucks... because since your body is in starvation mode, you WILL GAIN WEIGHT the first few weeks to couple of months until your metabolism is back in balance. Its a long a painful road, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm in the same boat as you... I hated people telling me to eat more, but I feel so much better now that I do. And yes, I gained weight...its a bloating stage that those of us who have starved ourselves have to go through. You know why you will gain? Because your poor body is saying "holy crap! Theres food! Better store it up in case theres another starvation crisis!" But, that stops, and you start to play with your macros and figure out what is best and you start to lose fat while gaining/preserving muscle. Your body requires a certain amount of calories a day just survive... your resting metabolic rate. Then, you have your maintanance, which is what you require to maintain your current weight. I promise you once you find these numbers, and force your metabolism into overdrive (as I am TRYING to do), your body will get the message that you wont starve it and its ok to let go of some fat. But it WILL NOT happen on 1000 cals a day, and if for sure wont happen with you doing a ton of cardio... Your body will shut down and give out before you lose fat.

And yes, you will gain also with lifting weights... the goal however is to maintain your weight or lose a few but force your body to eat its own fat stores. The gaining does come from muscle. I freaked out when I started gaining weight when I started lifting... and you know what? It was muslce! I started out the year with 24% of body fat, I've gained about 5 - 10 lbs since then, but my body fat has goine down to 16%... and yeah, I've gained fat here and there as I have been adjusting my macros trying to lose that last bit of fat...but its a process. You didn't gain the fat overnight, it isn't coming off overnight. Take heart girl that you are not alone in this and all us women on here have gone through the same thing!
    I am so glad to know others have gone through it. I will be fine with a temporary gain, especially if it is coupled with fat loss. I'm not concerned as much with the number as I am with my current condition, which is annoyingly not muscular and fat. I would honestly be happy to buy new, larger clothing, provided that I was buying it to make way for my brick thick abs and shredded tree trunk quads, not my squishy belly and thunder thighs...

Originally Posted by MariDanisa View Post
    well this is the first time I have heard this, but then again I am rather new to this. someone please help me. I want to lose 10% body fat in a year. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I eat 6 small meals a day, don't eat after 7pm, workout 5 days a week, cardio and strenght training every day. does someone have any idea what I can do to lose more body fat. Should I cut the cardio to two days for one hour and do 5 days of strenght training. I am at a bind.
    Even I take a rest day to help my metabolism and as you can see my body is all in a reck. I have noticed that the rest day does help to make my workouts on the other 6 days more effective, so I can recommend you that.

Originally Posted by LionChick View Post
    I am a former elite distance runner. By elite, I mean "Olympic caliber"-- so I am not new to working out. I have been running for 8 years. Before I started running, i did Tae Kwon Do for the AAU. I did this for 11 years, back when I was in public schools as a kid. I usually practiced between 1 and 3 hours a day for that. So working out has been part of my life since I was about 6 years old!

Sample of my diet is in my log... and that was "uncommonly high" for me, as I was aiming to make it to 1200 kcals a day.

A normal day for me is

1/2 serving soy creamer
    vitamins

3-4 egg whites

6 oz. chicken for dinner
    psyllium husks

on this diet my weight has sky rocketed and i am fatter than ever. this is also the most carbs i've eaten in probably, uhm, about 3 years.

as you can see, it is not nearly "enough" for an active runner. which is why I think that i may deal with the "starvation issue" especially since all my thyroid levels are low according to my doctor and this weight gain is "unexplainable"
    So you only eat 3 times a day? I couldnt do that without being so tired and cranky my hubby would kick me out till I ate something! If you visit my log (and many other womens in the women's forum) you will see most of us eat 5 - 8 times a day. Myself included. You really need to eat every 2 - 3 hours. Many people beleive it helps to increase your metabolism, however I personaly do it to get in all the food I need to for the day. And you also wont be stuffing yourself or feeling "full" while maintaining a satisfied feeling. sweetie, EAT! And in all honesty, most of us on here lose our BF by cutting WAY back on cardio. Its the building of muscle that burns your calories during the day and while you sleep. And you can't build muscle without eating LOTS of food (your muscle's building blocks). Trade in some of that running (most of that running I mean) for heavy lifting and more meals. If you look up in the articles on here on what the models/women body builders do for nutrition, many of them eat as high at 2500 cals a day and they look FANTASTIC! I can't wait to get to that point! I can PM you a templet if you would like of a good solid eating program, but its based around weight lifting, not so much cardio. I only do 30 mins a day, and HIIT 2 - 3 times a week. You will get where you want to be...it just takes us a bit longer to get there cuz of the metabolism damage.

thank you very much for your information, but the reason i do bodybuilding and weight lifting is that it makes me stronger and healthier for my cardio pursuits!

i'm not trying to be a cardio bunny and doing it to burn fat-- you couldn't pay me to run on a treadmill or elliptical-- but i would like to be (someday) a good ultramarathoner along the line of dean karnazes (only not so extreme). dean trains in the weight room 4x a week and eats a very healthy diet to fuel his runs, and i'm seeking to do the same.

i only eat 3-5 times a day because when i was working i was not allowed to eat more than 1x a day. literally, as the boss would take my food from me and lock it in his office so that i would not eat during my shift. when you have a 15 hour shift, that's not very good.

but now i am free and in graduate school and i plan on eating 5x a day (more convenient) and starting on wednesday with classes i will have access to weights.

i have seen some runners with very low body fat, and i think it can be done with a proper diet... there just needs to be a diet that provides enough carbohydrate to be muscle sparing, yet has enough protein to preserve what is left. my problem is that i have been in "starvation" mode for about 10 years... so i am worried that "what was done will not be undone" by more eating.

Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i only eat 3-5 times a day because when i was working i was not allowed to eat more than 1x a day. literally, as the boss would take my food from me and lock it in his office so that i would not eat during my shift. when you have a 15 hour shift, that's not very good.
    Are you even kidding me??? Did he really do that? Where the heck did you work??? PLEASE don't even tell me that was when you worked at the health store.

no this was the shoe store, and i am not kidding at all. i even tried hiding myfood in my bag underneath a stuffed buffalo from my parents ( i thought what is the weirdest thing i own so that they won't take my food?) but they just took the whole damn bag and locked it away.

the idea was to keep us from going in teh back room to just hang out and eat and stuff... so he did it to everyone. but since i was on manager level i didn't get breaks like associates, so i wasn't allowed to go out of the store to buy food, either. i just had to starve all day.hence why i stopped working out and got fat-- i was eating almost nothing every day and not working out.

Lifting Heavy!!! Scarl3tbutt3rfly's Avatar
    Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50)

A normal day for me is

1/2 serving soy creamer
    vitamins

3-4 egg whites

6 oz. chicken for dinner
    psyllium husks

Wow, yeah that is not alot of calories at all. That is equal to about 3 of my 6 meals I eat each day. And with as much cardiolike stuff as you participate in, you would think you would need to eat so much more. Are you lifting heavy regularly as well as doing cardio? I also think you might need more protein. But this is just a general observation. You need the carbs to be muscle sparing, but also the protein to help build and keep them too.

I think if you have been dealing with a slow metabolism for some time, I think it will take time to repair it as well. You might see weight gain in the process for sure as you up your calories. Maybe take it slow, adding only 100-200 a day until you can get at a good comfortable amount. I really would start with more protein and work from that.

Maybe also, take measurements. Dont look at the scale so much. Ive gotten to the point I dont hardly weigh myself anymore. Water weight fluctuates so much I have no idea what I truely weigh, so I try not to dwell on it. And go by how I look composition wise. The scale just gets frustrating.

People ask me what I weigh, and I always give a range, lol....or I say I have no idea really.
    You focus your mind to train your body, and the changes that begin to take place impact your mind as well. Dream it, believe it, and you will achieve it. ~Arnold Schwarzenegger, The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, 1998

Music is holy, Art is sacred, and Creativity is power

Vote for me! Vitrix Model Search-Vote HERE!!: http://www.vitrixmodelteam.com/index.php?option=com_modelsearch&controller=contestant&userid=233&filter_contest=14&Itemid=142#photoid=1938

i refuse to check my weight anymore as well. i go by "how do the pants fit" and right now the answer is "they don't." normally the answer is "kind of loose."

after i got above a "healthy weight for my height" on low calories i really just didn't want to know anymore. it's overweight whether it's a little over or a lot over, and i would like to be healthy again!

aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am not sure what to do... I eat a lot, I gain. I eat almost nothing (I mean like 400-500 kcals a day) and I gain. I lift weights, I gain. I run 10 miles a day, I still gain.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is getting higher calories... I want to believe that it works, more calories will get me out of starvation and into weight loss, because that's what I read everywhere, but I havenn't heard anyone yet who can confirm that yes, they ate more and got above their BMR and started to lose weight!

I think my body is finally coming out of starvation mode. I am recovering from an eating disoder, my period has come back this month and I don't seem to put on pounds when I eat a 'normal' diet.

It has taken me about a month or so of eating 3 good meals a day with carbohydrates, which I have an aversion to, and even chocolate and ice cream.

At first I put on about 5 pounds in about 2 days since my body was craving the calories so much but nnow it is evening out. If you keep eating properly you can break he cycle of your body storing every calorie since it thinks it will get no more.

i used to be really averse to carbs and i was very lean and small (too much so) but then all of the sudden my body stopped being able to digest or something and i got very bloated and couldn't poop. i tried upping my fats to help, but that made things worse. finally i bit the bullet and went for a more carb-centric diet. this has made the bathroom issues better, but it still hasn't helped my metabolism. i am not in pain anymore, though, and i feel much better.

its strange, even with all the running i don't ever get very hungry. the only day i am hungry is off days.

to answer the above poster, i lift heavy 4 x per week and i do a long run 1 day per week and i do a cross training 1 day per week. sometimes that cross training is just yoga or sometimes it is more intense, like elliptical. it is for 30 mins at a good intensity...

*my runs are usually alternating between "easy runs" at about 7:00-7:30 pace and "workouts" with hard intervals probably around 5:00 pace (not whole miles though)*

ps. that wasn't clear-- the runs are between 7 and 10 miles long. the long run is, obviously, longer. i am working up to about 25 miles for a long run by the first week of october.