Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why Deadlift?

bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why Deadlift?

Ok, so I hear all the praise for deadlift, but is it really necessary to incorporate into a workout plan? On bb.com it says that it targets quads then hammies and glutes, the same as squat does...Basically, if im hitting the major muscle groups in my workouts with squats, lunges, leg press, etc. is it important to also have deadlift, and if so why?

Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The deadlift is the single most important movement you can do IMHO. The reason why I say this is because it is incorporating a push and pull movement at the same time. The deadlift is a compound lift that truly works the whole body.

ContractK21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ContractK21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ContractK21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ContractK21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ContractK21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ContractK21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ContractK21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ContractK21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ContractK21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ContractK21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ContractK21 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dumbell85 View Post
    The deadlift is the single most important movement you can do IMHO. The reason why I say this is because it is incorporating a push and pull movement at the same time. The deadlift is a compound lift that truly works the whole body.
    x2...
    "He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man"

I Rep Back

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Is it required? No

Essential? No

But its a movement that works. Its a movement that really hammers every muscle group. All your power comes from the core. Especially when doing lower body movements.

I'm not gonna sit here and put deadlifts on a pedistal. But ya.. its that kind of movement, that people DON'T do becuase they are lazy. Its that one movement that people DON'T do becuase it hurts.

But its that one movement, that I particularly like to do because, it is.......that one movement.

Can you name one other movement that pretty much hits pretty much damn near every muscle group on yoru body?
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Still admirin Xmas brah? BaSsSiKk's Avatar
    BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bdub92 View Post
    Ok, so I hear all the praise for deadlift, but is it really necessary to incorporate into a workout plan? On bb.com it says that it targets quads then hammies and glutes, the same as squat does...Basically, if im hitting the major muscle groups in my workouts with squats, lunges, leg press, etc. is it important to also have deadlift, and if so why?
    Why would you not want to incorporate it?? Just because one other exercise works the same muscles does/should not mean you neglect it. The Deadlift will tap into muscles that are otherwise not used in other exercises. It would be foolish not to take advantage of this exercise unless of course you are unable to do it eg injury.

clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100)
    It also thickens your back and traps, so as an all round movement, it kicks plenty of arse, so to speak

Diesel 7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel 7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel 7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel 7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel 7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel 7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel 7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel 7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel 7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel 7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel 7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    just incorporate them into your routine for a couple of your workouts. then post back and tell us how you feel.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    The deadlift will also isometrically work your traps.

It's my favorite lift but there's no question it's overrated as a bodybuilding exercise. From that perspective rack pulls and SLDL/RDLs would be better choices since you can initiate the lift from a position where genetic advantages in leverage (i.e. long arms/short torso) aren't an issue. I also think you could achieve similar results in the upper body from barbell rows and shrugs, and in the lower body from squats and other glute/hamstring exercises. They're definitely not for everyone.

Having said that, you'll notice a certain kind of thickness in the backs of lifters who pull heavy weights and the most effective way to achieve that if it's important to you is to deadlift (or rack pull).

hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000) hey_papi85 is just really nice. (+1000)
    DL don't hit quads as the primary group.

The main target is the spinal erectors (lower back). In my opinion deads/rack pulls are also the best trap exercise. They also build nice hams and glutes.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post

It's my favorite lift but there's no question it's overrated as a bodybuilding exercise. From that perspective rack pulls and SLDL/RDLs would be better choices since you can initiate the lift from a position where genetic advantages in leverage (i.e. long arms/short torso) aren't an issue. I also think you could achieve similar results in the upper body from barbell rows and shrugs, and in the lower body from squats and other glute/hamstring exercises. They're definitely not for everyone.

Having said that, you'll notice a certain kind of thickness in the backs of lifters who pull heavy weights and the most effective way to achieve that if it's important to you is to deadlift (or rack pull).
    Dom's right on track as usual. Just to add a bit to his comments...

if you are bodybuilding, you are generally ISOLATING muscle groups to tweak them individually, and the other moves can be substituted for the deadlift.

if you are strength training, you are generally INTEGRATING your muscle function and deadlifts would be be your best move.

Also, consider that deadlifts will help everything else, especially your squat and overhead pressing, etc. due to the deep core strength deadlifts require and develop.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do them every other week now.

It allows me to use the lift to my benefit, but also allows me to do more volume at every other back workout.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159256121

exothermic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exothermic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exothermic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exothermic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exothermic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exothermic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exothermic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exothermic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exothermic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exothermic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exothermic has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    deadlifts are very good along with squats very!.... epitome of alpha maleness.. bench,squat, deads

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's all about bang for your buck. Deads only miss a few muscle groups - hard to go wrong w/it
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started doing deadlifts about a month ago and now I don't go a week with out it. It is a good overall body exercise.
    Bench - 305 Squat - 365 Deadlift - 365

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold

bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdub92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright thx alot for the replies, I am planning on putting them in, I just wanted to make sure it was worth my while, considering my workouts kick my ass already, but a little more ass kicking cant hurt .

Edit: Also iss it ok to DL 2x a week if im doing a 3 day split?

Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lol depends on how to do it I only use back on my dead lifts.

Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dumbell85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright thx alot for the replies, I am planning on putting them in, I just wanted to make sure it was worth my while, considering my workouts kick my ass already, but a little more ass kicking cant hurt .

only DL heavy once a month. 2x a week you will overload your CNS FAST!

hawkcapt1912 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hawkcapt1912 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hawkcapt1912 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hawkcapt1912 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hawkcapt1912 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hawkcapt1912 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hawkcapt1912 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hawkcapt1912 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hawkcapt1912 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hawkcapt1912 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hawkcapt1912 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

once a week will suffice.

Registered User supersaiyanGoku's Avatar
    supersaiyanGoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) supersaiyanGoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) supersaiyanGoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) supersaiyanGoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) supersaiyanGoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) supersaiyanGoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) supersaiyanGoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) supersaiyanGoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) supersaiyanGoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) supersaiyanGoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) supersaiyanGoku is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Man deads are so intense. I almost pass out every time I do them. And yes I breathe.

Alright thx alot for the replies, I really appreciate it. Ide rep more if I had any power...

QB_Killa is a name known to all. (+5000) QB_Killa is a name known to all. (+5000) QB_Killa is a name known to all. (+5000) QB_Killa is a name known to all. (+5000) QB_Killa is a name known to all. (+5000) QB_Killa is a name known to all. (+5000) QB_Killa is a name known to all. (+5000) QB_Killa is a name known to all. (+5000) QB_Killa is a name known to all. (+5000) QB_Killa is a name known to all. (+5000) QB_Killa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post

I was gona say my traps and shoulder area have improved since I really started hitting deads. I just like the feeling it gives that your really working hard. (not that I dont work hard on every lift.)

telega C 33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) telega C 33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) telega C 33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) telega C 33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) telega C 33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) telega C 33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) telega C 33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) telega C 33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) telega C 33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) telega C 33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) telega C 33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Demon-seven View Post
    lol depends on how to do it I only use back on my dead lifts.
    lol wut?

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by telega C 33 View Post
    lol wut?
    agreed...wtf!
    Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    I'll answer your boxing and combat questions. Just PM me
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."

dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    stiff legged deadlift?

or nor mal deadlift?
    You can't worry about things you have no control over.
    -- Steve Nash

OKEN is on a distinguished road. (+10) OKEN is on a distinguished road. (+10) OKEN is on a distinguished road. (+10) OKEN is on a distinguished road. (+10) OKEN is on a distinguished road. (+10) OKEN is on a distinguished road. (+10) OKEN is on a distinguished road. (+10) OKEN is on a distinguished road. (+10) OKEN is on a distinguished road. (+10) OKEN is on a distinguished road. (+10) OKEN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ok so its a little overrated but i can't seriously sit here and say thats its not a good exercise. I mean Deadlifting hits the **** out of my lower back and I love it!!

demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am fairly new to rack pulls and I like them very much. I will be keeping them in my workout for good. Good exercise and I feel it afterwards.

johnnyD7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnnyD7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnnyD7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnnyD7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnnyD7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnnyD7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnnyD7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnnyD7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnnyD7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnnyD7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnnyD7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN View Post
    Is it required? No

Essential? No

But its a movement that works. Its a movement that really hammers every muscle group. All your power comes from the core. Especially when doing lower body movements.

I'm not gonna sit here and put deadlifts on a pedistal. But ya.. its that kind of movement, that people DON'T do becuase they are lazy. Its that one movement that people DON'T do becuase it hurts.

But its that one movement, that I particularly like to do because, it is.......that one movement.

Can you name one other movement that pretty much hits pretty much damn near every muscle group on yoru body?
    My problem is I can't get the form down, and I really don't want to F**K up my back that badly when I'm only 20. I tried following advice by starting slow, but once I get to a certain point, I just can't keep good form. The best part is i'm not sure what good form is anyway, I could be doing it completely wrong, so I choose to abstain.
    My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5864291

demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by johnnyD7 View Post
    My problem is I can't get the form down, and I really don't want to F**K up my back that badly when I'm only 20. I tried following advice by starting slow, but once I get to a certain point, I just can't keep good form. The best part is i'm not sure what good form is anyway, I could be doing it completely wrong, so I choose to abstain.
    You need to get someone to do a form check. I just had a form check the other day. I felt like my form was good but I wanted to make sure. I asked to be checked, and it was good to go. If you do not have someone to check you then load a video on youtube or something and then ask for opinions from people on here. Good luck.

Tam25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tam25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Trap bar dl one the best exercises. A true mass builder. The real test of strength.