Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why Deadlift?

sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the rush I get after heavy deads is second to none.

they're not essential, but if you choose not to do them, you're seriously missing out on the best part of weight training.

anonymous
    Floor pulls or rack work with too much weight will torch your CNS very quickly.

I look at deads as more of a guage of where my CNS stands than an exercise in their own right. But the average bb.com'er could certainly get away, and even thrive on deads done weekly as an exercise.

Rack pulls from below the knee with no more than your 1RM full deadlift are great for the back, especially if you do them for 6-8 reps. But if you stick 100's of pounds more than you can actually lift and try to grunt out a 2 inch rack pull, then expect nothing good to come of it.

Registered User CaptainGorgeous's Avatar
    CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    As I focus more and more on bodybuilding, I am beginning to deadlift with much less frequency. I still enjoy the exercise though.

Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Deads are a staple of my routine. They'll add a lot of mass to one's frame.
    "Shut up and lift!"
    "Eat big to get big."
    "Deadlift and grow."
    'Train, Eat, Sleep."
    "Knowledge is power."
    "What does not kill you, will make you stronger."

Ergo sum fortissimus.

killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) killatiger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Juggernaut33 View Post
    Deads are a staple of my routine. They'll add a lot of mass to one's frame.
    I agree, the reserve a place in everyones routine. Whether conditioning for a sport, bodybuilding, or power lifting. You will not lose muscle that is for damn sure.

DogEatDog3 is just really nice. (+1000) DogEatDog3 is just really nice. (+1000) DogEatDog3 is just really nice. (+1000) DogEatDog3 is just really nice. (+1000) DogEatDog3 is just really nice. (+1000) DogEatDog3 is just really nice. (+1000) DogEatDog3 is just really nice. (+1000) DogEatDog3 is just really nice. (+1000) DogEatDog3 is just really nice. (+1000) DogEatDog3 is just really nice. (+1000) DogEatDog3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    for bodybuilding purposes and assuming you do them on back days, do you do deads at the beginning or end of your workout?

Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DogEatDog3 View Post
    for bodybuilding purposes and assuming you do them on back days, do you do deads at the beginning or end of your workout?
    Usually you want to do them at beginning as they are very taxing on body(CNS and Muscles)
    This is our world now...the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud.

"A dollar doesn't seem like much till its your last one." - skinny buckeye

Tam25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tam25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    End cos once i am finished i am spent

scribeor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scribeor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scribeor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scribeor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scribeor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scribeor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scribeor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scribeor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scribeor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scribeor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scribeor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been working out for 2 years now.

I started deadlifting about 6months ago.

Yes its a good excercise but it gets WAYYYYYYYY too much hype on these threads. It is non-essential like just about ever other excersise

j. ViLLA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) j. ViLLA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) j. ViLLA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) j. ViLLA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) j. ViLLA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) j. ViLLA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) j. ViLLA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) j. ViLLA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) j. ViLLA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) j. ViLLA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) j. ViLLA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sokrispy View Post
    I'm the complete opposite. Deads drain the energy out of me after each set. I'm thinking of dropping to doing sets of 5 from now on with deads to keep my energy up.

madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My current gym only has 1 spot for dead's and its attached to the 1 squat rack and theres always some tool monopolizing it to put 185 on the bar and go 1/4 of the way down on squats. I would wait for it, but then I'd be standing around for like 15 min and i'd rather just move on. Therefore I only get to deadlift ~2ce a month. Yesterday there was a guy that was using the squat rack for 1 hour and 45 mins to do 1 clean and jerk then take a 2-3 min break before doing anything else.

LayItDown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayItDown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayItDown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayItDown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayItDown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayItDown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayItDown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayItDown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayItDown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayItDown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayItDown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
    My current gym only has 1 spot for dead's and its attached to the 1 squat rack and theres always some tool monopolizing it to put 185 on the bar and go 1/4 of the way down on squats. I would wait for it, but then I'd be standing around for like 15 min and i'd rather just move on. Therefore I only get to deadlift ~2ce a month. Yesterday there was a guy that was using the squat rack for 1 hour and 45 mins to do 1 clean and jerk then take a 2-3 min break before doing anything else.
    time for a new gym buddy!

FWCMuZiK will become famous soon enough. (+50) FWCMuZiK will become famous soon enough. (+50) FWCMuZiK will become famous soon enough. (+50) FWCMuZiK will become famous soon enough. (+50) FWCMuZiK will become famous soon enough. (+50) FWCMuZiK will become famous soon enough. (+50) FWCMuZiK will become famous soon enough. (+50) FWCMuZiK will become famous soon enough. (+50) FWCMuZiK will become famous soon enough. (+50) FWCMuZiK will become famous soon enough. (+50) FWCMuZiK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Sandguy View Post
    he did more than deadlift
    Check out my DAA log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159819111

spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's great for overall development in your back.

madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgoat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LayItDown View Post
    time for a new gym buddy!
    But my gym now is only 25 a month, for college students during the summer. As soon as sept 30 is over i'm switching, granted itll be to a Cardinal Fitness, it'll still be better than where I am now.

btn1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this: the deadlift, is one of the most functional lifts you can do. Once I learned how to deadlift properly, lifting super heavy boxes, trunks, even huge swimming docks (at camp) has been easier and I'm not scared of ruining my back by lifting something improperly.
    Check out my journal, any input would be appreciated:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109704681

thebazookajoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can DL twice a week. I do the conventional DL and the RDL. The RDL, in particular, is one of the best exercises out there. They are by far the preferred exercise of the USC football team and it's strength and conditioning coach. If you are an athlete or just regularly compete in sports involving explosiveness, the RDL is an absolute must becuase it will ensure your hammies and glutes grow in synchronicity.

EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EKDatDKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been deadlifting every 5-6 days. Never as heavy as I can go, I am new to it although I played football in college (we weren't very good.) Is it a bad thing to make it part of my back routine once a week? I love doing them, but I saw someone here said not to do it too much as it is bad for the body? Any opinions? Also does this go the same for squats?
    Bench - 305 Squat - 365 Deadlift - 365

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Exclamation

wait until you have secks for the first time
    Who was this love of yours?

brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000)
    they're not essential, but if you choose not to do them, you're seriously missing out on the best part of weight training.
    I stopped doing them because it made my obliques grow too much, made my front look extremely wide when i flexed my abs. I simply replaced deads with other movements and i havent seen a drop in anything really physique wise, besides my midsection.

Just like anything else, deads should be evaluated, and what you are actually trying to accomplish is your main thought. You going for strength? or for size? The answers to those questions can greatly affect the answer to whether or not deads are a critical movement.
    see ya at 225

kevolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started doing deads like 6 months ago, and I haven't looked back since. It's an awesome exercise and helps overall strength!
    "Remember, if you are traning hard, he may be training twice as hard. You just gotta keep coming back stronger."

I rep back.

WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500) WilsonFisk is not very helpful. (-500)
    once you get the form down they arent so bad... when I first started doing them I hated them. Now I feel I have gotten in a 'groove' and can pull quite easily..

...beware in college gyms..no one squats no one EVER deadlifts. So throw 400+ on a bar and everyone thinks your on steroids haha

ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I dont believe that the deadlift improved my physique by itself, but after getting my gains up on my feadlift, I was able to increase my other lifts such as bench and rows, thus, my phsique improved from those...
    Current Stats :
    Height - 5'11
    Weight - 184
    Age - 22

Bulking till 220...

camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) camaleom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i dont understan why people dont want to do:

1. Bench Press
    2. Dips
    3. Pull up
    4. Squat
    5. Dead lift

That is almost everything u need in order to have a nice body, also dont forget some biceps curls LOL
    Last edited by camaleom; 08-11-2008 at 10:24 AM.
    "Paper money is going away" - EM

Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do my deads at the beginning of my back workout when I have the most strength. It's one of the best massbuilders you can do, so to having your most strength for them is imperative.
    "Shut up and lift!"
    "Eat big to get big."
    "Deadlift and grow."
    'Train, Eat, Sleep."
    "Knowledge is power."
    "What does not kill you, will make you stronger."

Ergo sum fortissimus.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    No, you don't have to deadlift, but if you're like most people on this site, your goal is to build as much muscle and strength , as quickly as possible. Deadlifts allow you to handle more weight than any other exercise, causing your body to adapt to the maximum level of stress. Doing a routine consisting of squats, deads, and presses will be the straightest line from where you are now to where you want to be, but, of course, it's your choice. Good luck.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

dazzlepecs is on a distinguished road. (+10) dazzlepecs is on a distinguished road. (+10) dazzlepecs is on a distinguished road. (+10) dazzlepecs is on a distinguished road. (+10) dazzlepecs is on a distinguished road. (+10) dazzlepecs is on a distinguished road. (+10) dazzlepecs is on a distinguished road. (+10) dazzlepecs is on a distinguished road. (+10) dazzlepecs is on a distinguished road. (+10) dazzlepecs is on a distinguished road. (+10) dazzlepecs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    deadlift is a pussy exercise, its not gruelling and uncomfortable like squats for example... SLDL are all you need IMO for bodybuilding posterior-chain purposes

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by camaleom View Post
    i dont understan why people dont want to do:

1. Bench Press
    2. Dips
    3. Pull up
    4. Squat
    5. Dead ligt

That is almost everything u need in order to have a nice body, also dont forget some biceps curls LOL
    I was like that in my early 20's - I just focused on arms and shoulders, and gave passing glances to most other bodyparts. I certainly didn't do those exercises above. I was lucky to do some pushups or free squats (squats without weights) if I found the time.

Mostly it's people focusing on isolation work, and what is visible outside of a t-shirt, as near as I can tell.
    --- Nick ---

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bdub92 View Post
    Ok, so I hear all the praise for deadlift, but is it really necessary to incorporate into a workout plan? On bb.com it says that it targets quads then hammies and glutes, the same as squat does...Basically, if im hitting the major muscle groups in my workouts with squats, lunges, leg press, etc. is it important to also have deadlift, and if so why?
    Why deadlift?

Because it's there.

Oh, and it's an excellent leg, core and trap workout.

anonymous
    Originally Posted by dazzlepecs View Post
    deadlift is a pussy exercise, its not gruelling and uncomfortable like squats for example... SLDL are all you need IMO for bodybuilding posterior-chain purposes
    That would depend on how much weight is on the bar, and how hard you pull.

The deadlift is good for the genetically challenged as it's the only powerlift that determination and perseverence can overcome middling genetics. Not everyone can squat or press big weights, but if you apply yourself anyone can have a reasonable pull.