atrain08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Upper shin below the knee pain

The title pretty much says it all but I have been having some fairly severe pain in the upper shin region just below the knee, in the area where the quadriceps attach. This has completely brought my leg work to a halt because right now it hurts just to get out of a chair or climb stairs. Anyone else have this problem? I hope it has something to do with my age (18) and will go away with time. Thanks for any insight or suggestions you all can give.

mattmatt22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    google jumpers knee, im almost sure that whats going on. You can often buy a patella support band and it will help with the pain. Ice, heat and compression may help.
    Bench: 285
    Box squat: 415
    Deadlift: 510
    Clean: 245

catheitz is on a distinguished road. (+10) catheitz is on a distinguished road. (+10) catheitz is on a distinguished road. (+10) catheitz is on a distinguished road. (+10) catheitz is on a distinguished road. (+10) catheitz is on a distinguished road. (+10) catheitz is on a distinguished road. (+10) catheitz is on a distinguished road. (+10) catheitz is on a distinguished road. (+10) catheitz is on a distinguished road. (+10) catheitz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    same thing happened to me back in highschool and try the support band; it didn't work well for me but def ice, heat and light massages with elevated rest will help
    -c.heitz
    I'm like the perfect disaster; and once you start watching you just can't take your eyes off her.

"energy and persistance conquer anything." -Benjamin Franklin

Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had a similar problem a while ago. Lots of ice and massage/foam rolling helped out.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'm a Fitness Buff, Rapper, and Professional Basketball Player. Full bio at my blog above...

http://www.Geek2Freak.com

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I will definitely give them a try. I think I will start with a brace. Are you all still plagued by this problem or did it go away?

sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by atrain08 View Post
    The title pretty much says it all but I have been having some fairly severe pain in the upper shin region just below the knee, in the area where the quadriceps attach. This has completely brought my leg work to a halt because right now it hurts just to get out of a chair or climb stairs. Anyone else have this problem? I hope it has something to do with my age (18) and will go away with time. Thanks for any insight or suggestions you all can give.
    This def. sounds like Osgood-slaughters - I had it when I was 18 and a LOT of my friends did to.. hear you go...

Osgood-Schlatter disease is an inflammation of the bone, cartilage, and/or tendon at the top of the shinbone (tibia), where the tendon from the kneecap (patella) attaches. Most often only one knee is affected. It is very, very common among teens.

With exercise, differences in size and strength between the muscle groups place unusual stress on the growth plate at the top of the shinbone. (A growth plate is a layer of cartilage near the end of a bone where most of the bone's growth occurs. It is weaker and more vulnerable to injury than the rest of the bone.)

Other symptoms may include:

pain that worsens with exercise
    relief from pain with rest
    swelling or tenderness under the knee and over the shinbone
    limping after exercise
    tightness of the muscles surrounding the knee (the hamstring and quadriceps muscles)

Rest is the key to pain relief.

You might be able to continue your training as long as the pain remains mild. When symptoms flare up, a short break from lifting might be necessary.

shock-absorbent insoles can decrease stress on the knee. Applying moist heat for 15 minutes before or icing for 20 minutes after activity can minimize swelling. Wrestling gel pads and basketball knee pads (available at sporting goods stores) can protect a tender shin from bumps and bruises. A good stretching program, focusing primarily on the hamstring and quadriceps muscles, before and after activity is important. Your doctor might also suggest over-the-counter pain medicines, such as ibuprofen, or prescription anti-inflammatory medicines.

More severe cases require more rest, usually a total break from sports and physical activities. Active kids may find this very difficult, but the knee cannot heal without rest.

Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fokissed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone I will definitely give them a try. I think I will start with a brace. Are you all still plagued by this problem or did it go away?
    Mine only lasted a few weeks, and I haven't had the same problem since.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'm a Fitness Buff, Rapper, and Professional Basketball Player. Full bio at my blog above...

http://www.Geek2Freak.com

I appreciate that info sizeNstrength it describes my problem well. I have quit doing squats and such completely for about a month now and its not really getting better, yet. It does not hurt all the time just now and then. I am also a martial artist so my knee's are subject to allot of twisting a trauma so I have quit doing that for the most part right now hoping that my knee's will improve. Just from comparing my legs to other guys I work out with I appear to have a poor knee structure so I'm sure that leads to allot of the problem(I have allot of popping and cracking in my knee's).

sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I appreciate that info sizeNstrength it describes my problem well. I have quit doing squats and such completely for about a month now and its not really getting better, yet. It does not hurt all the time just now and then. I am also a martial artist so my knee's are subject to allot of twisting a trauma so I have quit doing that for the most part right now hoping that my knee's will improve. Just from comparing my legs to other guys I work out with I appear to have a poor knee structure so I'm sure that leads to allot of the problem(I have allot of popping and cracking in my knee's).
    No prob.

yeah - I would bet money that it is Osgoods - it is in no way serious man. I had it pop up when I was doing martial arts, playing HS basketball, and lifting...I took it really easy for a week or two (which is hard to do I know) and it went away...When I got back into it I wore knee braces for about a month, then nothing..every once in a while if I started to feel it act up I would put the brace back on.

but stretching is what really helped me.