NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10)

So why can't I squat with a normal stance?

Ok, my squat is by far my worst exercise...I'm in the process of building it up, trying to read up all I can on it, etc. My main problem was/is I cannot squat normally without my knees going over my toes and the temptation to lean forward. So I started squatting wide and it seems to be working...wide stance, toes way out...I can actually do the squat and can finally do 155 for reps. But it bothers me that I can't do the normal stance squat properly even if I wanted to.

So what do you think the problem is?....

weak core
    weak hamstrings
    hamstring/hip flexibility

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated because I'm seriously lagging with the squat...I need to know what to work on....also, is it ok if I just stick with the wide stance for now so at least I can build it up?

thanks A LOT in advance cuz this has been bothering me for months...and ino its an issue for just more than me.
    Last edited by NewMindstate; 07-31-2008 at 08:27 AM.

churn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) churn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) churn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) churn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) churn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) churn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by NewMindstate View Post
    Ok, my squat is by far my worst exercise...I'm in the process of building it up, trying to read up all I can on it, etc. My main problem was/is I cannot squat normally without my knees going over my toes and the temptation to lean back. So I started squatting wide and it seems to be working...wide stance, toes way out...I can actually do the squat and can finally do 155 for reps. But it bothers me that I can't do the normal stance squat properly even if I wanted to.

weak core
    weak hamstrings

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated because I'm seriously lagging with the squat...I need to know what to work on....also, is it ok if I just stick with the wide stance for now so at least I can build it up?

thanks A LOT in advance cuz this has been bothering me for months...and ino its an issue for just more than me.
    technique is problematic for a lot of people, especially in squat, might not be a "weak" anything

I suggest you find a good spotter, take just the bar, and squat that with proper technique and slowly increase it

on another note, it seems weird that you lean back and put your knees over your toes(?) since that would imply that you are leaning forward...

remember, always keep looking up
    Weight - 183
    Height - 5'9"
    BF: cutting from 11 to 7

1RM:
    Bench - 315
    Squat - 400

dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    gotta go with flexability/form...I had the same problem and so I used the smith machine to get my form down and then about 1-2 months of that I went to barbell squats just usuing the bar to ensure my form was good to go...another thing you can you although you cant use as much weight are front squats...that will help you maintain form but dont forget to look up rather than directly at yourself due to the tendency to lean foward...

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ok, my squat is by far my worst exercise...I'm in the process of building it up, trying to read up all I can on it, etc. My main problem was/is I cannot squat normally without my knees going over my toes and the temptation to lean back. So I started squatting wide and it seems to be working...wide stance, toes way out...I can actually do the squat and can finally do 155 for reps. But it bothers me that I can't do the normal stance squat properly even if I wanted to.

weak core
    weak hamstrings

your knees are supposed to go over your toes in a normal stance
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewMindstate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    really?...I thought they were supposed to stay behind....

and sorry...I mean lean forward...not back

thnx for the advice tho, any others?

Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Try putting a 10lb plate under your heels, or a thin peice of wood, it's a small difference but it seems to help me.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

and sorry...I mean lean forward...not back

thnx for the advice tho, any others?
    that's nothing but a tired myth, sit down into your squat on your heels, try olympic weightlifting shoes.

- Stizzel

Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    that's nothing but a tired myth, sit down into your squat on your heels, try olympic weightlifting shoes.
    ok but myth or not...my issue is my INABILITY to sit back even if I tried...many people are able to squat shoulder width and not lean forward/have knees over toes, but I can't...so I just want to be able to have that ability and am wondering what is my weakpoint?

ok but myth or not...my issue is my INABILITY to sit back even if I tried...many people are able to squat shoulder width and not lean forward/have knees over toes, but I can't...so I just want to be able to have that ability and am wondering what is my weakpoint?
    you dont' need to sit back, but more importantly it's most likely a flexibility issue (hips and hamstrings)

- Stizzel

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by churn View Post
    remember, always keep looking up
    No, no, no, no.

Look no higher than eye level. If you work out in an open area, try to focus on an area about 8 feet in front of you or so, on the ground (will give you an ever so slight downward gaze). If you work out against a mirror, look at somewhere between say your chest level and eye level.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    No, no, no, no.

Look no higher than eye level. If you work out in an open area, try to focus on an area about 8 feet in front of you or so, on the ground (will give you an ever so slight downward gaze). If you work out against a mirror, look at somewhere between say your chest level and eye level.
    x2. I don't know why some trainers ask you to look at the ceiling. Feels unnatural to me.

liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No. How could you support any kind of weight that way? Your back would round more than an old lady's just to get into the Squat position!

Mike

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's probably a combination of the things you've listed. Here is some helpful text on the subject.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085 I actually practice this a few times a day. Every time I need to get into low shelfs or cupboards, I will get these happening.

About half way down about wall squats (i've had good results with daily doses of these). It takes time and stick-to-it-ness.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=2178949

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1767210&cr=
    Last edited by tonester; 07-31-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Who? View Post
    Try putting a 10lb plate under your heels, or a thin peice of wood, it's a small difference but it seems to help me.
    thats not bad but your eventually going to going to have to learn to do it properly...

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    No, no, no, no.

I always look about eye level but maintain that spot when I drop...I dont believe one should look straight up because they'll fall flat on their ass...same for looking at the ground...

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    WHY???????????

Originally Posted by DINDYSport
    thats not bad but your eventually going to going to have to learn to do it properly...

WHY?????????????

you have arrived at a position that is comfortable for YOUR body...

the weight HAS gone up, you are not getting injured.....

why change anything?????

if you were completely comfortable with a pair of relaxed fit Dockers, would you squeeze your guts out just to wear a pair that said "classic" fit???

You have adapted a movement to fit your body and situation: there are several positives here:

1. you are now able to do them, period

2. the weight is going up, always a good sign

3. you are not complaining of pain which would change the whole aspect of this thread.

Stick with what is working for now.....

WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    do you have a big belly or even big curvey hip region or are you inflexible
    cause i know that women need a wider stance and the chubbier ppl cause they gotta get their belly through shoulder width
    bout the knees - dont worry it is recommended you keep em behind toes as it lessens risk of knee problems later on
    you should be fine going over - unless u already have knee problems
    then stay away

Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    WHY???????????

WHY?????????????

you have arrived at a position that is comfortable for YOUR body...

the weight HAS gone up, you are not getting injured.....

why change anything?????

if you were completely comfortable with a pair of relaxed fit Dockers, would you squeeze your guts out just to wear a pair that said "classic" fit???

You have adapted a movement to fit your body and situation: there are several positives here:

1. you are now able to do them, period

2. the weight is going up, always a good sign

3. you are not complaining of pain which would change the whole aspect of this thread.

Stick with what is working for now.....

Why practice improperly...if you are doing for just ones self then maybe thats ok I guess but if you every want to compete or something cant really say "hold on I need to grab some 5lb plates or a block of wood...this also goes for bench...is it ok to do it half assed or should you stick to proper form...I dont really like dockers...go ADIDAS COPA