Thread: Deadlift Help

Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Deadlift Help

i am now having trouble getting the weight off the ground but no trouble locking out. (legs are the weak link)

I have had multiple people check my form and its right on

I have a long torso and short legs so i have to start deeper than most to meet criteria (bar over middle of foot, inline w/ scapula, back strait)

I dont use straps (grip is fine and i feel more in control without them)

DL is at 1.9x BW

***what exercise can i do to help this??

***I was thinking Deep Low Bar squats and Squats from Pins

Does any one else have any ideas ???

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1. try speed pulls, where you do 8-10 singles with around 50- 60% of your max weight. focus on pulling smoothly but explosively and it'll improve your acceleration getting the bar off the floor. adding chains or bands is even better.

2. try standing on 45 or 100 lb plates (if you've got them). this way you can increase the range of the lift and target your starting strength, but this is more stressful so don't overdo it.

3. more glute, hamstring, and low back work. sometimes if you can't get the bar off the ground it's not because of a certain weakness, it's just too heavy! nothing to do there but keep getting stronger.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

almost at stage weight! Squizzzer's Avatar
    Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rockhuddy View Post
    1. try speed pulls, where you do 8-10 singles with around 50- 60% of your max weight. focus on pulling smoothly but explosively and it'll improve your acceleration getting the bar off the floor. adding chains or bands is even better.

2. try standing on 45 or 100 lb plates (if you've got them). this way you can increase the range of the lift and target your starting strength, but this is more stressful so don't overdo it.

3. more glute, hamstring, and low back work. sometimes if you can't get the bar off the ground it's not because of a certain weakness, it's just too heavy! nothing to do there but keep getting stronger.
    x2

and...getting my squat up really helped me get the bar off the floor
    NSCA-CPT

Getting THICK!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117797281

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Add low box squats with a good pause and pull full extended rom by standing on a 2x8, platform or some flat plates.

Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Spikeyeyerish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thx for all the advice

is there any real diff between box squats and squating from pins
    never was a big fan of boxes since you cant see where they are

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Spikeyeyerish View Post
    is there any real diff between box squats and squating from pins
    never was a big fan of boxes since you cant see where they are
    Yes, there are significant differences, and you don't need to see, shouldn't be looking at the box anyway.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    Yes, there are significant differences, and you don't need to see, shouldn't be looking at the box anyway.

when iused to do them i wouldn't look for the box...don't know how you really could. The box always seemed to surprise me or i felt like i was concentrating on the box instead of the squat.

i have seen box squats done in two ways...

one) to teach new squaters how low to go and have their butt just kiss the box

Two) i have also seen box squats used to eliminate the energy stored by muscles stretching on the way down

If the main goal from box squats is to eliminate the stretch....wouldn't squating from pins achieve the same goal, by eliminating the downward motion??