Beebah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting strength help

Hi

So I've been doing SS for about one and a half months now and i'm already starting to stall. I've stalled on bench and press and very soon on squats.

I'm eating at a surplus(gaining weight), and getting my proteins and fat. I have not increased the weights too heigh too fast. From about the third session on this program, I have only increased weights with about 5,5lbs on all exercises.
    However, sleep may be the culprit. I have no trouble falling asleep, its just that I tend to wake up after only about 6hs. What am i doing wrong?

I'm 5'7 and a half, weight 137lbs.

This is the version of ss I've been doing:

Practical Programming Novice Program:

Sunday
    3x5 Squat - 165,3lbs
    3x5 Bench 122,3lbs/ Press 88,2lbs (Alternating)
    Chin-ups: 3x set to failure(so far 11) or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

tuseday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift 138lbs

Thurseday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure(so far 9) or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Thanks!

IamVana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamVana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamVana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamVana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamVana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamVana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamVana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamVana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamVana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamVana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamVana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looking at your size compared to the weight you are moving, for I assume a complete beginner 6 weeks ago, then it is only natural you will start to stall closer to your actual bodyweight. The overhead press is always the hardest and first to stall. Your deadlift number though is curiously low, did you do the first 2 weeks where you add 45-60lbs to your deadlift a week and THEN go into one of the programmes? I think they have updated the PP since this routine (Search 2nd edition) and this looks like Wichita Falls Novice Program without the power cleans, or only the first week of the 2 week ADVANCED Novice PP routine.

Check out the Wiki in regards to stalling: FAQ:The_Program#Stalling.2C_Resetting_and_Progress ing

I can't post links yet, but this section of the Wiki is worth asking yourself (It is followed by how to deload):

"Are you stalling because:

You aren't doing what you are supposed to be doing for recovery. This includes dietary considerations (enough protein/carbs/fats? Enough vitamins? Enough water? Skipping meals or eating every 2-4 hours?) as well as rest considerations (go to sleep at 10 PM or 1 AM with an 8 AM class that morning?)

You aren't adding weight properly. Yes, I'm talking to you greedy bastards who decide that you can jump 10 lbs between bench workouts, or you decide to add a 25 to each side of the bar for your next squat workout.
    You have recently added exercises (such as dips/chins/arm work) or made your own adjustments to the program in whatever manner.
    You are doing everything right WRT rest, recovery and weight progression, but you are simply advancing closer to your genetic limitations.

1 is easy to fix. Get your ass to sleep on time, eat properly. Don't change anything about your training for at least a week until you have made 100% sure that you got your 8 hours of sleep, and that you ate your necessary calories EVERYDAY, didn't skip meals, got proper protein/carbs/fats during the day and at crucial times (especially post-workout, breakfast, and before bed). You screwed yourself on this one, but this one is easy to fix. Fix it and progress as normal until #4 describes you.

2 is easy to fix as well. Drop 5 lbs on your presses and rows (and cleans, drop 10 lbs on your squat and deadlift, and start back up. This time, however, be sure to only add 5 for presses/rows/cleans, and add 10 for squats and deadlifts. This will USUALLY fix the issue, depending upon how rapidly you added the weight. A problem exists when you were adding weight to exercises that you had no business adding weight to. We'll get to you folks in a moment, because you may have induced overtraining (systemic overtraining, not "biceps overtraining" or "pectoral overtraining", both of which are misnomers)

3 is usually pretty easy to fix as well. Stop EVERYTHING, strip back to the basic 3 exercises for the day, add a set or three of abdominal work, and THAT IS IT. Make sure you have #1 above in line, and train for a few weeks with only the basic 3 and the ab work. You greedy bastards were CONVINCED that 10 sets of barbell curls and triceps pressdowns wouldn't hurt, and instead of the big gunz and the bicep peak, you got your asses buried! Good for you. Listen next time ya damn teenage know-it-all! (Yes, I was a teenage know-it-all.) (Hell, I'm a middle-aged know-it-all...nothing's changed, I'm just older and fatter!)

4 is a "true stall". In other words, you are a coach's dream because you listened, did exactly what you were told, put forth full effort and intensity, you took your training (and especially your recovery/rest/nutrition) seriously, and yet you still hit the inevitable wall. See the questions regarding stalling and resetting. That's right, a legitimate stall is a hallmark of progress. Ironic, no?"

Why not try doing your OHP FIRST next time and squats second? Sometimes changing the order for a day here and there can make a difference. You need a strong tight stance for the OHP and sometimes if you are feeling the strain from the squats, it can tire you out a little. Same thing for the bench, try benching first to see how your energy compares. If no change is noticeable and you have hit number 4 on that list then just do as the programmes stalling and resetting section suggests.

Sry, forgot to mention that I've been working out since january. But i that was just isolated exercises, almost never compund.

You are right about my deadlifts. I never increased it with a lot of weight. The highest amout of weight I added was about 15lbs for one session, lol.
    But I haven't stalled on deadlifts, i just increase it every session with 5lbs.

Ye, I read what kind of things can influence stalling and also how to do once you stall. Hm... Should I look at another version of ss you think or start over?

Oh, i will try doing ohp first and bench as well!

harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's natural to stall so early considering how light you are for your height. Keep gaining weight and training hard. You have a long way to go before you're finished starting strength. You definitely need to put on a considerable amount of quality weight to exhaust your novice gains. Do you track calories to make sure you're eating enough along with tracking your weight every week to make sure you're gaining?
    Starting Strength Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160100631&page=1

Race to 3x5x70kg press with GinjaNinja85

Ok. Ye, I'm tracking calories more or less. I'm gaining about a pound a week.
    I guess you're right about my weight. what's a good weight for my height you think?

Thanks