Page 67 of 127 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 3806
    Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    That's what it looks like. Now, there will be noticeable losses. Some of the water from each rainshower will remain on the rooftop and evaporate. Some will coat the pipes/hose on the way to storage/the garden. Etc. When there is nothing but a bit of a sprinkle you might not get enough to count all the way through the system to the garden.

But if you start out with a theoretical maximum so far above what you need...losses won't be a big deal
    Okay... Well even if I lose HALF I'm still looking at 700 gallons of rain water storage PER MONTH.

Hell I only have 6 barrels left!

So I could only store 330 gallons MAX

This is also at the base of the 500 foot long driveway where I'll be planting fruit trees amongst the hedge pines for a wind break I'm going to call "Orchard Row"

I'm just going to get some apple trees and butternuts in the ground this year... And then Orchard Row will be born next year... But I've been thinking about how I'm going to water all those fruit trees...

I was basically just going to fill a barrel in the box of my truck, set into a jig and strapped in place... Then once a week just idle down the driveway type of thing. But maybe I can design the rain barrel system in a way that it can refill my truck barrel!
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    LOL...

So then I found this: http://www.greatergoods.com/rainbarrelcalc.html

Which says: Your roof produces 485.9 gallons of water in every 1-inch rainstorm.

Times 3 inches = 1457.7 Gallons

So you were right Farley!
    Sweet. I knew somebody had to have that out there somewhere. I just consulted one of my many unread books...Storey's Basic Country Skills, which is very serious, large (550 some pages) and covers all kinds of stuff, but I didn't find anything that discussed this just yet

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Sweet. I knew somebody had to have that out there somewhere. I just consulted one of my many unread books...Storey's Basic Country Skills, which is very serious, large (550 some pages) and covers all kinds of stuff, but I didn't find anything that discussed this just yet
    Yeah I know Storeys... IIRC, I'm the one that advised you to buy it!

So now comes the issue of "Water Pressure over distance."

Water, just like air follows the laws of fluid dynamics... Only water is of course incompressible...

So the higher it is and the larger the initial spigot coming out of the barrel the more pressure I can generate at the end of the hose. So I wonder how much pressure I can generate... If the dispenser barrel is has the spigot at 3 feet off the ground... Starting at a 1 inch hose that then adapts and decreases into a 5/8th inch hose!

Or maybe it would just be better to stick with soaker hoses for the garden and just have like 3 different spigots in three different barrels and then each barrel would have a backup barrel on with a valve connecting them and an over flow at the top!
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeah I know Storeys... IIRC, I'm the one that advised you to buy it!

So now comes the issue of "Water Pressure over distance."

Water, just like air follows the laws of fluid dynamics... Only water is of course incompressible...

So the higher it is and the larger the initial spigot coming out of the barrel the more pressure I can generate at the end of the hose. So I wonder how much pressure I can generate... If the dispenser barrel is has the spigot at 3 feet off the ground... Starting at a 1 inch hose that then adapts and decreases into a 5/8th inch hose!

Or maybe it would just be better to stick with soaker hoses for the garden and just have like 3 different spigots in three different barrels and then each barrel would have a backup barrel on with a valve connecting them and an over flow at the top!
    I had it long before I ever found this section. It was recommended in another survival/preparedness section I've been posting in since 2005. Still haven't read it...but it's a good reference to have on hand.

I dunno about pressure.

I wouldn't think it would be that much pressure, but I've never dealt with dynamics seriously

Just to give you guys an idea of the over all layout here's a crude map I just drew up.YardMap1X.jpg
    6'4"

jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is that actually the same amoxycillin that you get from the doctor or vet supply for mammals?
    (I've got a woman who runs a horse ranch that gets me some whenever I need it, but it's a pain to get one vial, let alone stock up)
    according to survivalist boards its the same and its human grade according to some publications they linked in.

i don't really care about it for an shtf scenario although I suppose I should have some, I do want some to self medicate sinus infections though, that is a pain in the ass to deal with when you have a tight work schedule.

edit: people are already reselling it for lots of cash on ebay. funny
    Last edited by jafomofo; 03-29-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    "I'm not like most girls." -most girls

Originally Posted by jafomofo View Post
    according to survivalist boards its the same and its human grade according to some publications they linked in.

i don't really care about it for an shtf scenario although I suppose I should have some, I do want some to self medicate sinus infections though, that is a pain in the ass to deal with when you have a tight work schedule.

edit: people are already reselling it for lots of cash on ebay. funny
    See I know the Veterinary grade and the Human grade are the same exact thing... And they're both ingestables... But something seems off about a Topical application for fish...

I also come from the school of thought that "the best immune system is toughness."
    6'4"

CTP1992 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CTP1992 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CTP1992 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CTP1992 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CTP1992 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CTP1992 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CTP1992 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CTP1992 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CTP1992 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CTP1992 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CTP1992 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    See I know the Veterinary grade and the Human grade are the same exact thing... And they're both ingestables... But something seems off about a Topical application for fish...

I also come from the school of thought that "the best immune system is toughness."

how does a topical medication work on a fish? o_0

and do you guys know any good books on purely raising/breeding animals for food etc.

Originally Posted by CTP1992 View Post
    how does a topical medication work on a fish? o_0

and do you guys know any good books on purely raising/breeding animals for food etc.
    It must be taken through their gills... Which I've got to imagine that gills are to fish what mucus membrane is to mammal.

As for animal husbandry... That is admittedly a weak spot in my skill set.

Although I wouldn't be shocked, with this new place that we're moving to, if two years from now I"m posting in this thread about my new chicken coop!

(Of course there are already gray fox living in my new yard, so the challenges are already built in!)

When I was a kid, and our land was still zoned rural/agricultural, my Mom raised rabbits. They are a prolific source of cheap protein... They basically eat anything green and one rabbit makes 4 rabbits that are an edible size in like 4-6 months. My Mom didn't have the heart to kill them, but we had so many that she would just trade the neighbor, if he killed two she'd give him one etc...

Goats are also like that in their high reproduction but low feeding cost AND they give milk if you take care of them right.

But I friggin DESPISE goats!
    6'4"

I had it long before I ever found this section. It was recommended in another survival/preparedness section I've been posting in since 2005. Still haven't read it...but it's a good reference to have on hand.

I dunno about pressure.

I wouldn't think it would be that much pressure, but I've never dealt with dynamics seriously
    Storey's is a nice book for "Starting points."

Since it's a family that does truly live off the land, all their ideas and how they work together are applicable... It's just most of the ideas presented aren't thorough enough for you to just put it into practice yourself without at least doing a little more additional research.

When it comes to water pressure off the rain barrels...

Gravity of course is a factor... The higher the rain barrel spigot is from the end of the hose the more draw down it will have. Because if you raise the end of the hose above the water level it will stop running out.

Also the more divisions you have in the hose, halves the pressure. So if you want to have 2 hoses running water out it's better to have 2 spigots on 2 different barrels than just 1 spigot with a Y splitter.

The key though to remember in all fluid dynamics, and it applies most to water... Is that if you decrease the diameter of hose (Or canyon or pipe or tunnel etc...) it will case the fluid to accelerate through the smaller diameter.

So if you start out with a spigot that is 1" diameter and then somewhere along the line you adapt it down to a 5/8" diameter, the water will accelerate in the same way that it accelerates when you put your finger over the hose.
    Last edited by Nainoa; 04-02-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    6'4"

RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    strong want

$10k w only 3000 miles

Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Guy a couple houses down just got a Deuce and a half and it looks like they are modding it somehow. They have an extra chassis and a trailer with it.........
    The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

in omnia paratus

Originally Posted by Hartski View Post
    Guy a couple houses down just got a Deuce and a half and it looks like they are modding it somehow. They have an extra chassis and a trailer with it.........
    Probably completely unrelated to prepping... Deuce and a half is the new grocery getter of the 21st century!
    6'4"

My pronouns are Bro/Brah Procta's Avatar
    Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by RyouBakua View Post
    strong want

$10k w only 3000 miles

does it run on gas, diesel and used oil?
    China is asshoe !!!

Super Straight HTC Crew, Pureblood Crew & a Jeepbrah (no ducks)

Florida is GOAT

Gen X: Humanity's last hope

RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    10k is too steep for me

i would probably hop on one for 3-4k and use as a tow rig

(for yknow, when my tow truck gets a flat)

Originally Posted by Hartski View Post
    uhaul trailer per chance?

Probably completely unrelated to prepping... Deuce and a half is the new grocery getter of the 21st century!
    10mpg doesnt matter when running on 100% wvo

Originally Posted by Procta View Post
    does it run on gas, diesel and used oil?
    probably

So the Fruit tree deal I negotiated a couple weeks back went into processing with the wholesaler today.

They were out of a couple things already (Disadvantage of living in Zone 4)

3 Honeycrisp Apple trees All three Semi-Dwarf (One Supreme)
    2 Golden Delicious Apple Trees (Both Semi-Dwarf)
    2 Bubblegum plums (Both Semi Dwarf) Supreme
    2 Gooseberry Bushes (Both European Invicta)
    10 Jersey knight Asparagus roots
    25 Sure Crop Strawberries (Bare Root) June Bearing

So with the sugar maple I'm bringing with me (Sacred Ojibawe tree from the battle of Sugar Bush Point) that will make 10 of the 50 fruit trees that I intend to fill along the 500 foot stretch I'm calling "Orchard Row"
    6'4"

Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz
    came across this pretty cool modded Jeep company

http://www.actioncamper.com/camper.php

China is asshoe !!!

Florida is GOAT

came across this pretty cool modded Jeep company

http://www.actioncamper.com/camper.php

I've got to imagine that with the wind drag created by that camper top, that the cost of a large pop up tent would pay for itself within a few hours on the highway.
    6'4"

I've got to imagine that with the wind drag created by that camper top, that the cost of a large pop up tent would pay for itself within a few hours on the highway.
    well you are doing it wrong if you are in that on the highway, I dont have the $53k laying around anyways so we can poke fun at it
    China is asshoe !!!

Florida is GOAT

well you are doing it wrong if you are in that on the highway, I dont have the $53k laying around anyways so we can poke fun at it
    When in doubt... Just get a Pontiac Aztek... It comes with an automatic popout tent in the rear SUV hatch thing... And the high degree of roll over is "Fun for the whole family!"
    6'4"

When in doubt... Just get a Pontiac Aztek...

i dont hate on cars

but when i do its on Pontiac Azteks

Originally Posted by RyouBakua View Post
    i dont hate on cars

but when i do its on Pontiac Azteks
    Just think... Once upon a time there were thousands of people who dropped giant piles of money on a brand new Pontiac Aztek fresh off the show room floor and then drove it around the neighborhood and home for Christmas just to show it off to friends, family and neighbors...

AND then there were Tens of thousands of people who had to listen to that gloating, and either felt envy or had to hide their disgust!
    6'4"

today's find...

If you are a millionaire prepper you might want to get one of these $6 million underground garages.......

http://gizmodo.com/5901333/million-d...ium=socialflow

yeah I cant find any cool budget friendly stuff
    China is asshoe !!!

Florida is GOAT

Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The Bird-flu/H1N1 pandemic lady on this episode of Doomsday Preppers wasn't too bad... I'd definitely give her tha business post-SHTF
    ★ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ ★

Originally Posted by Xenic View Post
    The Bird-flu/H1N1 pandemic lady on this episode of Doomsday Preppers wasn't too bad... I'd definitely give her tha business post-SHTF
    LOL... Yeah I caught that as well.

I also LOL'd at the guy who was like "Our only option is to escape to the sea!"

If I've got to choose between: Woods, Mountain or Sea... I'm picking the goddam SEA last...

Now I can understand "Escape to the sea" because it's a fast route out of the urban sprawl and it takes him to a bug out location on an island North West of Vancouver or something. I mean that would be innovative and brilliant.

But he's all wanting to play "Waterworld 2" the home game!
    6'4"

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    The garage people were tards. If they think that they're going to survive for 60 days in a bunker the size of a bathroom without killing each other, they're even stupider than I imagined. If they do happen to survive that, the chances of their sailboat just magically waiting for them undisturbed in the harbor are going to be less than zero.

Crazy old guy was just crazy. I bet the mayor just said they were going to buy extra transformers to get him to stop bugging him. Major lulz at his 12mph crapmobile being able to outrun marauders.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    LOL... Yeah I caught that as well.

I also LOL'd at the guy who was like "Our only option is to escape to the sea!"

If I've got to choose between: Woods, Mountain or Sea... I'm picking the goddam SEA last...

Now I can understand "Escape to the sea" because it's a fast route out of the urban sprawl and it takes him to a bug out location on an island North West of Vancouver or something. I mean that would be innovative and brilliant.

But he's all wanting to play "Waterworld 2" the home game!
    lol. you talking about the family that hiked 15 miles at night after staying in their urban foxhole for "60 days"?

I think his plan was to escape to an unpopulated island... i remember one of the things DP dinged him for is not having a contingency plan for getting to his bug out loation if his boat got raided/damaged.
    ★ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ ★

Originally Posted by lhprop1 View Post
    The garage people were tards. If they think that they're going to survive for 60 days in a bunker the size of a bathroom without killing each other, they're even stupider than I imagined. If they do happen to survive that, the chances of their sailboat just magically waiting for them undisturbed in the harbor are going to be less than zero.

Crazy old guy was just crazy. I bet the mayor just said they were going to buy extra transformers to get him to stop bugging him. Major lulz at his 12mph crapmobile being able to outrun marauders.
    Oh yeah... I almost forgot about the "Garbage Can" faraday cage and his Jumper Cables "Test."

Maybe someone should inform him that the friggin' garbage can is made out of tin and slag aluminum composites and that for a faraday cage to work it needs to be a conductive or a ferrous metal!
    6'4"

lol. you talking about the family that hiked 15 miles at night after staying in their urban foxhole for "60 days"?

I think his plan was to escape to an unpopulated island... i remember one of the things DP dinged him for is not having a contingency plan for getting to his bug out loation if his boat got raided/damaged.
    Now maybe I missed the "Island" part of it... I just heard "Escape to the sea because the sea is safer than land."
    6'4"

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    Now maybe I missed the "Island" part of it... I just heard "Escape to the sea because the sea is safer than land."
    What about his pirate contingency? I'm sure in the 60 days that he has his head buried under his garage, the other people with boats will have been honing their pirate skills.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.