Page 6 of 127 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast
    Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Okay so I just got done with reading that full NYT article. While thoroughly enjoyable that woman still is not as prepared as she needs to be. Aside from her anti weapons stance which makes her vulnerable she still makes it sound like someone will eventually save her and her family. Only stocking for 6 months without talking about any plans beyond that aside from making it sound like something will happen to help everyone.

Granted I did not read her book but her book sounds like it's about stocking up on food and clothing that is already made. Dehydrating pre-grown food or planting pre packaged seeds does not count as making your own stuff.

She needs to learn to hunt, fish, weave **** out of reeds, make a house out of sticks and mud and or dig one out of the side of a damn hill. Perhaps her book covers this, I don't know. If my local library carries it I might pick it up.
    Last edited by Staberella; 08-02-2008 at 04:27 PM.
    *Stopped smoking crew* 2 years and 5 month bishes, and counting.*

*Founder of the, "I hate cold weather!" crew*

Your dreams should never be better than your life. - Karl Pilkington

Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Staberella View Post
    dig one out of the side of a damn hill.
    Hobbit style survival FTW
    Don't complain about the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do.

SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000)
    hai guize I was wondering if I can borrow a couple 1000 bullets, some cans of soup and some of those water packages?

Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SpiderSense View Post
    hai guize I was wondering if I can borrow a couple 1000 bullets, some cans of soup and some of those water packages?
    No. I will barter with you though. Hand over your first born and all your gold fillings.
    *Stopped smoking crew* 2 years and 5 month bishes, and counting.*

*Founder of the, "I hate cold weather!" crew*

Your dreams should never be better than your life. - Karl Pilkington

***Misc Ikariam Crue*** morgansd12's Avatar
    morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No. I will barter with you though. Hand over your first born and all your gold fillings.
    And your li'l sister.

The one with the pretty mouth.
    **************M*********
    World > Laltoios[80:89] > WineSkillz

sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Steak_n_Taters View Post
    What are you packin'? Not specifically if you don't want but what caliber?

My dream is to have a barrett 50 cal...
    ME TOO! albeit not for survival purposes.... although that probably would scare the ever living **** out of looters and foragers! There's one on sale at Gander Mountain here that I've been eyeing.... now I just need to win the lottery and we'll have that taken care of!

She needs to learn to hunt, fish, weave **** out of reeds, make a house out of sticks and mud and or dig one out of the side of a damn hill.

I love you!
    "The gods of the valleys are not the gods of the mountains"
    -U.S. Army Mountain Warfare School motto

FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sugicalmike View Post

I love you!
    Easy Cowboy!
    BS, CSCS

******official misc photography crew******

sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FutureFoe View Post
    Easy Cowboy!
    Don't worry, there's no place for emotions in a SHTF situation, especially love!

FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't worry, there's no place for emotions in a SHTF situation, especially love!
    Well...what if you have to repopulate? I guess it doesn't have to be love...it then becomes duty.

By the way what do the acronyms G.O.O.D. and TEOTWAWKI mean?
    BS, CSCS

Well...what if you have to repopulate? I guess it doesn't have to be love...it then becomes duty.

If that were the case, then I'd perform my duty to the fullest extent of my capabilities! For the glory of the empire!

Get Out Of Dodge, The end of the world as we know it, TEOTWAWKI took me a while to figure out!

If that were the case, then I'd perform my duty to the fullest extent of my capabilities! For the glory of the empire!

Get Out Of Dodge, The end of the world as we know it, TEOTWAWKI took me a while to figure out!
    ahhh...makes sense now...thanks. I might recommend some "ejaculoid," just in case you end up being the only man left with like 20 women....you gotta have enough to go around.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gol/ejac.html
    BS, CSCS

ahhh...makes sense now...thanks. I might recommend some "ejaculoid," just in case you end up being the only man left with like 20 women....you gotta have enough to go around.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gol/ejac.html
    *right clicks, adds to basket*

Thanks bro! You're a true believer!

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz

Well I don't know what GOOD is... But The other one is "The End of the World as We Know it."

Don't worry guys... My wife and I and my survival paradice up here will take care of the repopulation thing if all falls to ****!

Feel free to play Broke Back Mountain with the neighbor guy if you need be...

I got this one!
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Biggest caliber longarms at the mo' are 308s. One of them is a military contract Steyr SSG with Kahles ranging scope. Seriously accurate at a distance.

A friend has a couple of 6.5 x 55 swedes. Very mild recoil and very, very good at very long range(His on-the-farm range goes to 810 yards, lasered).

I've used and compared everything military from the 223 to the 30-06. No comparison really!

All the high power military calibers, from the 6.5mm swede up to the 8mm mauser, deliver close to 1000 foot lbs at 500 yards. Throw in a bullet weight from 139 grs to a massive 198 for the mauser 8mm(7.92) heavy ball. Result is cover turns to concealment.

bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000)

I'm not counting on fire arms to get me through or protect me. I can't squirrel away an endless supply of ammo. Ammo doesn't last forever.

I'm planning on making my new way of life after SHTF completely primative. Bow and arrows, spear, hatchet and axe (tools and weapons), knife, booby traps around my community, and the numbers and team work of the community. I'm willing to share to an extent but no lazy grass hopper will steal what this hard working ant and his ant colony have done for themselves.

That's not to say I'm opposed to fire arms or technology. But if I accept the fact that technology will not help me survive then I won't be disappointed. I will be pleasantly surprised if I am able to use some technology.

Of course there is also scrounging. I will gather old tires lying around to make soles for shoes. I will turn car body panels into a plow. I will use old wires to tie things together. But thats not stealing someone elses hard work thats reusing scrap and garbage left to rot.
    "The best-laid schemes o mice an men Gang aft agley." Robert Burns

"You can believe in stones as long as you don't throw them at me." -

"Some say he can swim seven lengths under water and he has webbed buttocks. All we know is, he's called The Stig."

"Some say that his skin is the texture of a dolphin's and that he has his own satellites. All we know is, he's called The Stig."

Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bamatank View Post
    I'm not counting on fire arms to get me through or protect me. I can't squirrel away an endless supply of ammo. Ammo doesn't last forever.

I'm planning on making my new way of life after SHTF completely primative. Bow and arrows, spear, hatchet and axe (tools and weapons), knife, booby traps around my community, and the numbers and team work of the community. I'm willing to share to an extent but no lazy grass hopper will steal what this hard working ant and his ant colony have done for themselves.

That's not to say I'm opposed to fire arms or technology. But if I accept the fact that technology will not help me survive then I won't be disappointed. I will be pleasantly surprised if I am able to use some technology.

Of course there is also scrounging. I will gather old tires lying around to make soles for shoes. I will turn car body panels into a plow. I will use old wires to tie things together. But thats not stealing someone elses hard work thats reusing scrap and garbage left to rot.
    I agree but, particularly in the beginning, I want to have a large supply of guns and ammo. Eventually, when the majority of people either run out of ammunition or break their guns or something then yeah, they won't be as important, but I also want my weapons for a Katrina like situation to protect myself from looters, not just total end of the world every man for himself chaos.

But yeah the rest of your stuff I agree with. Survivors will have to learn to scrounge and improvise.

edit: and the 50 is more just for fun. It wouldn't really be too practical to lug around with you in many survival situations. Would come in handy against a killdozer or something though...

bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree but, particularly in the beginning, I want to have a large supply of guns and ammo. Eventually, when the majority of people either run out of ammunition or break their guns or something then yeah, they won't be as important, but I also want my weapons for a Katrina like situation to protect myself from looters, not just total end of the world every man for himself chaos.

But yeah the rest of your stuff I agree with. Survivors will have to learn to scrounge and improvise.

edit: and the 50 is more just for fun. It wouldn't really be too practical to lug around with you in many survival situations. Would come in handy against a killdozer or something though...
    The .50 would be more useful taking down large game that would be difficult and dangerous to kill with arrows (buffalo).

General looters will probably stay in the urban areas. It will be difficult to find the little commune I will create with the inlaws, friends and neighbors in the hills (think "The Village"). That's where booby traps will either hurt the intruder, scare them off, or warn us to approaching intruders. Then the primative weapons can kill off or drive off anyone still persistant enough to continue.

"Some say he can swim seven lengths under water and he has webbed buttocks. All we know is, he's called The Stig."

"Some say that his skin is the texture of a dolphin's and that he has his own satellites. All we know is, he's called The Stig."

One thing I think will definitely be key to long term survival is bee keeping.

Honey is the only natural antibiotic and a great cure for colds and any respiratory ailment. It is packed with nutrients and calories. Also use the wax for candles and water profing things. Your cabin will last a lot longer with the occasional waxing. Pair that with a goat (or cow) for milk and you will never starve to death.

Add this to your farming and hunting and fishing and you will have a good healthy diet.

One thing I think will definitely be key to long term survival is bee keeping.

Honey is the only natural antibiotic and a great cure for colds and any respiratory ailment. It is packed with nutrients and calories. Also use the wax for candles and water profing things. Your cabin will last a lot longer with the occasional waxing. Pair that with a goat (or cow) for milk and you will never starve to death.

Add this to your farming and hunting and fishing and you will have a good healthy diet.
    I never thought of that.

So many skills to acquire... so little time...

I never thought of that.

So many skills to acquire... so little time...
    Bee keeping is easy. You pretty much let the bees do what they do. Also you will need bees to polinate the blooms on your farm or else you will never get anything.

Im aware of your breast TheSheepdog's Avatar
    TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    Well I don't know what GOOD is... But The other one is "The End of the World as We Know it."

Don't worry guys... My wife and I and my survival paradice up here will take care of the repopulation thing if all falls to ****!

Feel free to play Broke Back Mountain with the neighbor guy if you need be...

I got this one!
    menage a trois?

just dont touch me or look at me.
    ARMY VET, POLICE OFFICER,SHEEPDOG
    ★cVc★

morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Angry The **** Is Going Down - The **** Is Going Down - The **** Is Going Down

Fcuking hurrican Eduordo knockin on the motherfooken back door sandbags! I got my .243, full tank a gas, Glock x2 and all the neighbors are fully armed. Fcuck yeah, comin to save the motherfooken day yeah! I got to head to the gym now becauz I may not ever go again.

Update in a few hours or when the lootin' and shootin' starts/ Should be soon. Dark is coming. Maybe some dark peopple too. I don't know, not really that kinda neighborhood but anything could happen.

What if you get struck by lightning at the exact moment the hurrinccane hits you? Will the hurrincacne turn you into a zomnbie? Can zombies swim? Saw a generator at Home Depot this weekend but didn't get it...DAMN!

Standby Misc.
    **************M*********

Im aware of your breast TheSheepdog's Avatar
    TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by morgansd12 View Post
    Fcuking hurrican Eduordo knockin on the motherfooken back door sandbags! I got my .243, full tank a gas, Glock x2 and all the neighbors are fully armed. Fcuck yeah, comin to save the motherfooken day yeah! I got to head to the gym now becauz I may not ever go again.

Update in a few hours or when the lootin' and shootin' starts/ Should be soon. Dark is coming. Maybe some dark peopple too. I don't know, not really that kinda neighborhood but anything could happen.

Standby Misc.
    seriously bro, make sure you check in after its over so that we know that your alive...thanks

edit- after fully reading your post...forget what i said, thats kinda fuk'ed up.
    ARMY VET, POLICE OFFICER,SHEEPDOG
    ★cVc★

What if you get struck by lightning at the exact moment the hurrinccane hits you? Will the hurrincacne turn you into a zomnbie? Can zombies swim? Saw a generator at Home Depot this weekend but didn't get it...DAMN!

Standby Misc.
    bro, what?

Originally Posted by TheSheepdog View Post
    seriously bro, make sure you check in after its over so that we know that your alive...thanks

edit- after fully reading your post...forget what i said, thats kinda fuk'ed up.
    Zombies man, night stalkers.

If you aren't prepared for them then you aren't prepared sandbag.
    **************M*********

Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pay_Me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Standby Misc.
    My favorite part. Outdoor Recreation isn't Misc. Try calling R/P the Misc section LOL...

And just to keep thread somewhat OT...here's an interesting link I found but most of you might already be ahead of it...

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/med.../2003/0576.htm
    This is our world now...the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud.

"A dollar doesn't seem like much till its your last one." - skinny buckeye

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Untrained types with thousands of rounds will fire off most or all of their ammo at the first sign of trouble, shooting to "intimidate", ie miss! I've done some practical rifle competitions. It is not about how many rounds you can get down range against the clock, it is about how many HITS you get downrange against the clock, without bench and bags and all that nonsense. That is firepower.

Lots of misses are not firepower at all, except on TV. Believe it or not, a mauser relic from the 2nd World War can deliver more real firepower than a high capacity semi auto weilded by a novice. And will shoot through trees etc, while a 223 is often stopped by a fencepost. The novice may have been shooting for decades, lol, but might have no expertise at all, mistaking noise and excitement for firepower.

By all means have other options BESIDES firearms. But do not think they are substitutes! If some of the bad guys have not fired off all their ammo, they will have an extrarordinary advantage over you. Of course you will be able to pass your midieval weapons on to your grandkids. Unless you are a crap shot, you will be able to pass on the ol' mauser/springfield/lee enfield/garand to your grankids as well, with hundreds of rounds.

At Mi Lai, one of the soldiers was asked why he only killed 6(defenceless victims). His reply was he only had 6 magazines. Needless to say, he wouldn't last one well fired round from a bolt action war relic. If the villagers had a handful of rifles, or even one with an old hand behind it, Calley's platoon would have had to call in arty, air strikes, etc. Even well armed bad guys teotwawki won't be able to call in arty, air.....

Lol, my grandparents and my wife's, used to do that! The Depression taught them to appreciate things we take for granted. I think you'll find that they didn't voluntarily disarm themselves in the hope that inability to defend themselves would discourage robbers from taking what little they had. And they sure made every round count on rabbits, deer etc. Certainly didn't fire off all their ammo in years of foraging, and they didn't have crates of it to start.

My dad was so pleased to get a "double" on rabbit, in the 30's, the 22 slug killing two lined up just so. A friend of mine recently got a double on deer with the "lowly" 6.5 x 55 swede. The 139-156gr slug wheezing out of the muzzle at 2500fps makes a 223 look like a peashooter. The Swedish Mauser cavalry carbine is about the size and weight of a Mini-14. 160gr solids at about 2300fps will shoot clean through two telegraph poles(don't ask) and really substantial trees.

Recently got acquainted with a longer barreled example from 1903, with beautiful antique target aperture added by the Swedish military. When a rifle that is 105 years old is competitive on the range with almost anything made today, I have to say, respect. I wonder how many of the plastic stocked wonderguns of today, with their scopes, will be going strong after 105 years. I would certainly bet on the mauser lasting into the 23rd century. Some surplus barrels, and wrench and headspace gauge, and the gun should be going strong 'til we rebuild civilization and invent warp drive!

In the meantime, we could be making our own smokeless powder and primers, and swaging our own bullets from copper plumbing and scrap lead.

If you really like primitive, don't forget muzzleloaders! A whole order of magnitude ahead of bows, even crossbows.

And for a hand to hand melee, a good cavalry saber is very hard to beat. I'd rate it ahead of any vastly more expensive katana.

Sorry about the length, lol. I do go on....

Stay safe, bro, whatever you do, and bless you for taking out this kind of insurance for your loved ones, and not just hoping for the best.

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    Untrained types with thousands of rounds will fire off most or all of their ammo at the first sign of trouble, shooting to "intimidate", ie miss! I've done some practical rifle competitions. It is not about how many rounds you can get down range against the clock, it is about how many HITS you get downrange against the clock, without bench and bags and all that nonsense. That is firepower.

Lots of misses are not firepower at all, except on TV. Believe it or not, a mauser relic from the 2nd World War can deliver more real firepower than a high capacity semi auto weilded by a novice. And will shoot through trees etc, while a 223 is often stopped by a fencepost. The novice may have been shooting for decades, lol, but might have no expertise at all, mistaking noise and excitement for firepower. .
    Trust me I'm well aware of the concept of one shot one kill. I'm not saying I'm completely opposed to fire arms. I fully intend to keep and use the fire arms I already have and add to my arsenal. All I was saying was that I'm not hedging my security bets completely on them.

By all means have other options BESIDES firearms. But do not think they are substitutes! If some of the bad guys have not fired off all their ammo, they will have an extrarordinary advantage over you. Of course you will be able to pass your midieval weapons on to your grandkids. Unless you are a crap shot, you will be able to pass on the ol' mauser/springfield/lee enfield/garand to your grankids as well, with hundreds of rounds.

At Mi Lai, one of the soldiers was asked why he only killed 6(defenceless victims). His reply was he only had 6 magazines. Needless to say, he wouldn't last one well fired round from a bolt action war relic. If the villagers had a handful of rifles, or even one with an old hand behind it, Calley's platoon would have had to call in arty, air strikes, etc. Even well armed bad guys teotwawki won't be able to call in arty, air......
    Also, you have to consider now matter how great someones weapon technology is or how good of a shot they are, they will be beat every time by someone with superior planning and tactics regardless of their primative weapons. Think of the damage Native Americans were able to inflict with their bow and arrows, spears, clubs, etc. simply because their learned how to use terrain and tacics to their advantage.

Lol, my grandparents and my wife's, used to do that! The Depression taught them to appreciate things we take for granted. I think you'll find that they didn't voluntarily disarm themselves in the hope that inability to defend themselves would discourage robbers from taking what little they had. And they sure made every round count on rabbits, deer etc. Certainly didn't fire off all their ammo in years of foraging, and they didn't have crates of it to start.

My dad was so pleased to get a "double" on rabbit, in the 30's, the 22 slug killing two lined up just so. A friend of mine recently got a double on deer with the "lowly" 6.5 x 55 swede. The 139-156gr slug wheezing out of the muzzle at 2500fps makes a 223 look like a peashooter. The Swedish Mauser cavalry carbine is about the size and weight of a Mini-14. 160gr solids at about 2300fps will shoot clean through two telegraph poles(don't ask) and really substantial trees.

Recently got acquainted with a longer barreled example from 1903, with beautiful antique target aperture added by the Swedish military. When a rifle that is 105 years old is competitive on the range with almost anything made today, I have to say, respect. I wonder how many of the plastic stocked wonderguns of today, with their scopes, will be going strong after 105 years. I would certainly bet on the mauser lasting into the 23rd century. Some surplus barrels, and wrench and headspace gauge, and the gun should be going strong 'til we rebuild civilization and invent warp drive!

In the meantime, we could be making our own smokeless powder and primers, and swaging our own bullets from copper plumbing and scrap lead.

If you really like primitive, don't forget muzzleloaders! A whole order of magnitude ahead of bows, even crossbows.

And for a hand to hand melee, a good cavalry saber is very hard to beat. I'd rate it ahead of any vastly more expensive katana.

Sorry about the length, lol. I do go on....

Stay safe, bro, whatever you do, and bless you for taking out this kind of insurance for your loved ones, and not just hoping for the best.
    The sword or other edged weapon's superiority has more to do with the user than the weapon itself. It all depends on what the user is comfortable using and familiar with.

I do appreciate the input and you make some good suggestions for some old reliables.

One thing I was thinking of to add, is to get your doctor to give you prescriptions for basic medications like antibiotics and stuff. Explain what you are wanting them for and usually they are fine with it. My parents have a good stockpile of various things.

It's especially good if you get the off-brands at wal*mart that are like $4-10 per script. You can get tons and tons of meds for cheap.

Unless you want to risk raiding a pharmacy after everything goes down, I think this is the best thing you can do for being medically prepared.

I suppose also you should learn to diagnose the basics and get some medical training.

Trust me I'm well aware of the concept of one shot one kill. I'm not saying I'm completely opposed to fire arms. I fully intend to keep and use the fire arms I already have and add to my arsenal. All I was saying was that I'm not hedging my security bets completely on them.

Also, you have to consider now matter how great someones weapon technology is or how good of a shot they are, they will be beat every time by someone with superior planning and tactics regardless of their primative weapons. Think of the damage Native Americans were able to inflict with their bow and arrows, spears, clubs, etc. simply because their learned how to use terrain and tacics to their advantage.
    You are right there, guerilla warfare for the win! Never do a stand up fight against superior numbers, like in the Napoleonic era. And never fight fair one on one either. A real rifle with a good man behind it could turn the tables on full auto toting gangbangers in their cars(especially if the walls of your house are of solid stone over two feet thick).

The sword or other edged weapon's superiority has more to do with the user than the weapon itself. It all depends on what the user is comfortable using and familiar with.

I do appreciate the input and you make some good suggestions for some old reliables.
    I only took an interest in swords recently. Turns out so many have very similar design features, apart from the hilt, guard etc. Thus the saber, tulwar, scimitar, katana, even oversized working "knives" like the traditional golok, have a lot more in common than one might think. But a good man can make any sound weapon look good.