whitemagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench Press - Legs off Ground & Crossed

I see a lot of people at the gym doing bench with their legs off the ground and crossed. I overheard one guy saying that doing that will put less strain on your lower back. Is that true and do you recommend doing that?

Thanks

ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    haha an injury waiting to happen when heavy wieght starts getting used...bench press is usualy used for powerlifting so keep your legs on the floor....if your into bodybuilding most (not all) people get better results from DB's

Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Some dummies think they are working their core by having to balance their wobbly bench presses without the use of their legs as stabilizers.

Practically speaking, by putting your feet up on the bench you are taking the arch out of your lower back. Yes, this weakens your stability, and sure it will put less strain on your back if you normally drive your butt off the bench, but it flattens out your back and allows you to hit the pecs at an angle perpendicular to the spine, as opposed to 75 degrees or so.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I definitely don't recommend that. Keep your feet solidly on the floor, and your butt and shoulders on the bench.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It does put less sheer force (stress) on the lower back, but it's inherently more stable.

If your lower back doesn't hurt, I'd keep them on the ground. If it does, I'd put your feet on a step bench or some plates stacked where your feet go. This way you get stability, but are able to bring your hips into flexion and take the stress off your lower back.

Best,
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    NOT a good idea at all I did this for a while when I was starting out but only with light weight learning the form of bench. Alot of people will arch their back alot when doing bench if they have their feet on the floor, so just make sure your back is flat on the bench and you shouldnt get much strain anyways.
    Last edited by GiZZmo; 07-23-2008 at 02:18 PM.
    You don't need designer workout equipment to be a BEAST!

"You can't out supplement a poor diet." - Valhallabound86

If I had Iron will and John G as my trainers I would win MR O title no doubt. SRS!!! Those guys through age and experience KNOW what they are talking about so LISTEN TO WHAT THEY TELL YOU HOMIE!

jdoyle650 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdoyle650 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdoyle650 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdoyle650 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdoyle650 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdoyle650 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdoyle650 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdoyle650 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdoyle650 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdoyle650 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdoyle650 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by whitemagic View Post
    I see a lot of people at the gym doing bench with their legs off the ground and crossed. I overheard one guy saying that doing that will put less strain on your lower back. Is that true and do you recommend doing that?

Thanks
    check out Rock Lewis,

he was the lightest guy to ever bench 600 lbs raw in a meet- he did it at 229 lbs. DRUG FREE.

the next heaviest guy ever to do over 600 weighed 240- 11 lbs heavier and in a non-drug tested federation.

Rock Lewis has always benched with his legs crossed and he swears by it. i dont think hes ever been injured either.\

that must count for something
    Last edited by jdoyle650; 06-07-2010 at 01:17 AM.
    GOAL: 1800 RAW @242 , no wrps drug free

Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A lot of people jumping in and saying dont do it dont do it. Yet aren't backing up what they are saying.

Legs up, as dr clay said, puts less shear force on the back. Obviously you wont see the heaviest lifting powerlifters do this so often. For those with back issues, its actually a good idea. I've heard people say "they are trying to work their core", 1) no you just don't understand the difference in forces with an arched back and one that is in a decompressed position, and 2) if they are trying to, well they arent so bright

That being said, I wouldnt be doing my 1RM or even weight I find heavy for 5-6 reps with my legs up. Its good for those that have lower back issues, but not limited to.