the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK 125 :: What Is The Best Workout For An Ectomorph?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Note: How can I win? Answer all questions in the order that they are asked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Is The Best Workout For An Ectomorph?

For the week of: 7/22-7/28
    Monday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ectomorphs are at a disadvantage because of their thin and fragile bodies. And unfortunately, they struggle to add size to that frame. Although it's another obstacle in the way, an ectomorph can achieve their dream physique with some hard work and dedication.

What is the best workout for an ectomorph? Be specific.

How does an ectomorph's workout differ from a mesomorph and endomorph's workout?

What are some good foods for an ectomorph?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

----------------------------------
    NEW PRIZE MONEY!!!!!

The best response will get $75 in credit, and second place will get $50 in credit to use in our online store and will have their workout posted on our main site for the world to see!

NEW RULE!!!!!

* New Rule: Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks,
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

moosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Ecto tips

Being a ecto/meso I know about putting on size. The best workout for an ecto would be reps from 8-12, and 3 exercises with 2 sets each, stick to compounds until you pack on some mass, then worry about defining. Try to rest as little as possible between sets, about 30 sec so your muscle are more under tension, and try to complete your workout as fast as possible, so you can have all the other time to rest.

Ecto workouts differ from the other 2 types because you have to cut the time in half so your burning the least calories possible. Other than your nutritional needs there's not really a more different approach to training.

Good foods for an ecto would be, bagels, pasta, steak, beef, eggs, a good weightgainer, and other healthy calorie dense foods. Ectos can cheat more than the other body types, but make sure to have limits. Get in at least 4,500 min to 6,000 calories per day, with at least 600 calories per meal. 6 to 9 meals per day if your really serious and don't forget 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight per day. Drink the gainer shakes between meals and before bed, get a scale it'll motivate you to eat more. Good luck with your gains.

professor22s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ectomorph Workouts

As an ectomorph myself... and from knowing many others, I can make at least several observations.

First, regardless of body type, there is no one workout regimen that's right for everyone...and that includes the group we call ectomorphs. There is one thing in common among all the bodytypes: Everyone responds differently to the stimulus of weightlifting.

Furthermore, to say all ectomorphs are hardgainers is simply not true. I remember reading the story of bodybuilding legend, Robby Robinson. He said he was naturally thin boned and not massive...the traits of an ectomorph. However, he discovered when he started lifting, he had the type of body that really responded to it...and quickly. He went on to develop one of the finest physiques ever seen.

Likewise, I've known guys who were big boned and had impressive frames to start off with. Yet even with proper diet and exercise found it difficult to add mass...at least very quickly.

The bottom line is, everyone must experiment and find out what makes their own particular body most responsive. Case in point: Myself and another ectomorph I knew. For myself I discovered I simply could not work out using the technique of very heavy weight with few reps. Regardless of warming up, etc. it was always a recipe for getting strains, aggravating tendons, etc. For myself, many sets of 10-20 reps at lighter weight was far more productive.

My friend, who was my same size and weight, responded differently. He could handle the heavy weight / few reps regimen just fine.

Each of us got stronger and bigger over time. Predictably, he could lift more weight than I could, but I left him in the dust when it came to more endurance related matters like pullups and pushups. Though physically we were apparently similar, our musculature was different in how it responded to weight training...and the results it produced.

It will be interesting to see what kind of exercise regimens get posted here. However, we must keep in mind what works for one person may not be the optimum approach for someone else. Ultimately each person must experiment, listen to his own body and see what works best for him.

s.RILLEYY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s.RILLEYY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s.RILLEYY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s.RILLEYY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s.RILLEYY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s.RILLEYY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s.RILLEYY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s.RILLEYY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    TOPIC: What Is The Best Workout For An Ectomorph?

Ectomorph's are at a disadvantage because of their thin and fragile bodies. And unfortunately, they struggle to add size to that frame. Although it's another obstacle in the way, an ectomorph can achieve their dream physique with some hard work and dedication. Ectomorph's are generally better endurance athletes than bodybuilders by nature, and may excel in cross country running. That is not to say an ecto cannot take part in bodybuilding. It is very possible to achieve great gains in mass and strength regardless of having this bodytype. Ectos' bodies are generally not built to carry a lot of muscle and for that reason your body needs a strong reason to add additional muscle tissue. In other words, for ecto's to add muscle to their frame they need a very powerful growth stimulus.

What is the best workout for an ectomorph?

An ecto's ideal workout program is very simple. You must train heavy and do it focusing on mainly free weights. If you are naturally skinny and you are working out on primarily machines, once again you are wasting your time. Your weight workouts should not last more than 45-60 minutes. Get in and get out. Get your workout done and go eat as quickly as possible. Here is a good workout program for the ectomorph sticking to a majority of compound, free-weight movements.

Day 1: Chest & Triceps
    4 sets Bench press (4-8 reps, no more than 10 reps)
    4 sets Incline dumbbell press (4-8 reps, no more than 10 reps)
    3 sets Dumbbell flyes (10-15 reps)
    3 sets Close grip bench press (4-8 reps)
    2 sets French curls (6-12 reps)
    2 sets Dips (as many as you can do)

Day 2: Back & Biceps
    4 sets Dumbbell rows (6-10 reps)
    4 sets Wide grip pull ups (if you can do a ton of them, add weight to your legs)
    4 sets Deadlifts (3-6 reps)
    3 sets Standing barbell curls (4-10 reps)
    2 sets Seated alternate dumbbell curls (8-12 reps)
    2 sets Concentration curls (8-15 reps)

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Quads
    4 sets Barbell squats (4-10 reps)
    3 sets Leg press (6-12 reps)
    3 sets Hack squats (6-12 reps)
    2 sets Leg extensions (8-15 reps)
    4 sets Straight leg dead lifts (5-10 reps)
    3 sets Hamstring curls (6-12 reps)

Day 5: Shoulders & Calves
    3 sets Dumbbell military press (4-8 reps)
    3 sets Barbell military press (6-10 reps)
    2 sets Lateral raises (8-15 reps)
    4 sets Bar or Dumbbell shrugs (6-12 reps)
    4 sets Standing calf raises (10-20 reps)
    4 sets Seated calf raises (8-15 reps)

Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Rest

With a routine involving a majority of free weight, compound movements you will force your muscles to grow! A person with this type of body will also need more time to recover in-between workouts to give their body time to adjust to this vigorous new routine they are putting their body through.

Remember to switch up your routine everyone once in a while to keep progress moving along.

How does an ectomorph's workout differ from a mesomorph and endomorph's workout?

The more you can train without exceeding your body's capacity to handle physical work, the more you'll progress. An ectomorph's workout should generally involve overall less training sessions and volume. This is simply because their recovery capacity just is not up to par with a mesomorph or endomorph.

An ectomorph's rest in between sets should be longer due than a meso or endo due to the amount of power work from the compound exercises. Ecto's should focus on adding extra intensity techniques to their workout, when needed of course. If they are training hard enough and have a high pain threshold, they can put the muscle through a growth stimulus powerful enough to force their ecto body to add on muscle without having to do more than 5-8 sets per muscle group.

Ecto's need plenty of rest to grow. Perhaps more time off than other body types although, everyones recovery rate is different. They should include at least three non-consecutive 'off' days per week, training no more than two days in a row. Less resting could be hurting your potential gains.

As always we need a well balanced diet for anyone wanting to gain some lean muscle. As an ectomorph you are going to need a high calorie meal plan, as your metabolism is extremely fast.

The following is a list of the best Protein, Carbohydrate, & Fat Sources While trying to pack on some lean mass.

Protein:

* Tuna or most any fish.
    * Cottage cheese.
    * Eggs (especially the whites).
    * Chicken breast (boneless skinless).
    * Turkey breast (boneless skinless).
    * Lean beef.
    * Low fat or no fat cheese.
    * Low fat pork.
    * Milk protein isolate.
    * Whey protein.
    * Soy protein.
    * Essentially most any other source of protein so long as it is low in saturated fat and carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates:

* Sweet potatoes.
    * Oat meal, oat bran, oat bran cereal (i.e. cheerios).
    * Bran cereal.
    * Brown rice.
    * Wheat bread (try to limit to 2 slices per day).
    * Beans.
    * Low fat popcorn (low fat butter spray makes this a delicacy).
    * Fruits (limit to 2-3 servings per day).
    * Malto dextrin (during workout).
    * Dextrose (during workout)
    * Vegetables

Fat:

* Omega 3 capsules (i.e. fish oil capsules).
    * Flax seed oil.
    * Primrose oil.
    * Borage oil.
    * Olive oil.
    * Nuts
    * Peanut butter (as long as it does not contain hydrogenated oils).
    * Egg yolks.
    * Fish (salmon especially).

Junk food can be a very useful tool to the ectomorphic bodybuilder trying to put on size without worrying about body fat levels too much. But with any thing in bodybuilding there are rules to how you must employ junk food into your daily diet to aid in gaining size and not just satisfying your taste buds. The selection of junk food must contain adequate amounts of protein to meet your needs.

So, this can be Wendy's, KFC, Pizza, and foods like that. Just think about it, if you eat a triple cheeseburger from Wendy's you are getting around 50g of protein, but you are also getting a whopping amount of calories that will go along with that, that you will not get from eating your standard chicken and rice meal. Try to limit your intake of carbohydrates when you go out for these meals, which means, at Wendy's skip the fries and stick to the burgers, KFC stick to the chicken and ditch the mash potatoes, and when having pizza skip the bread and just stick to the pizza.

High Calorie weight gainer shakes will be your friend also, it may be smart to invest in a weight gainer powder if you don't have time to cook or eat the foods or just need that extra calorie kick!

A very simple recipe i used for a high calorie, weight-gainer shake was simply blending:
    1-2 Cups of Oats
    1-5 eggs whites (yolks if you want the extra healthy fats)
    20g Whey protein
    500mls FF milk

132g Carbs
    60g protein
    18g fat

Chug it down and enjoy!

By eating a lot of healthy nutritional dense foods, whilst combining with weight-gainer shakes and some junk food (IN PROPORTION), their is no reason why a ectomorph cannot build some nice muscle mass and obtain a well sculptured physique.
    LOLWUT!

dmz1207 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

in and out

An ecto's ideal workout program is very simple. You must train heavy and do it focusing on mainly free weights. If you are naturally skinny and you are working out on primarily machines, once again you are wasting your time. Your weight workouts should not last more than 45-60 minutes. Get in and get out. Get your workout done and go eat as quickly as possible. Here is a good workout program for the ectomorph sticking to a majority of compound, free-weight movements.

I have been hearing a lot about the on/off, short rest training methods. I usually take my time to regain strength and push 10-15 reps, or till failure. I think I am going to try this method b/c as an ectomorph myself as well, I never could gain the hard, dense mass I wanted. Thanks for the info!

Ninja School Graduate Breakology's Avatar
    Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As previously stated, your individual body type and needs should be the determining factor for the workout you use. I don't think there is one "ideal" workout for any ****totype.
    IMO opinion, the most important aspect for training an Ectomorph is nutrition. You really need to be conscious of the quantity of macronutrients you are taking in, especially protein. I would say that 1.5 grams per pound of body weight is a good rule of thumb. Then obviously, you want to ensure you are taking in enough carbs\fats to support your BMR and activity level.
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

GetBeefy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBeefy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBeefy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBeefy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBeefy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBeefy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBeefy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBeefy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBeefy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBeefy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBeefy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

put my heart into this

It's not too complicated. As ectomorphs, we have super fast metabolisms. We burn calories like food's going out of style. Generally we have much smaller appetites than other body types and become full much quicker than other body types. So that's where I think it all begins, nutrition.

Drink a ton of water, go for a gallon a day. It's important to take in more calories than your burning, which means you have to EAT A LOT. Whatever your average portion size is, double it. If you eat 2 eggs for breakfast eat at least 4. Now it's important to beef up your portion size but also change your diet. You need a diet packed with protein, healthy carbs, and healthy fats. You want to take in 1.5g of protein for each pound you weigh. This will help to feed your muscles the ATP they crave and give you plenty of energy and fuel. Healthy carbs are extremely important. Don't worry about your carb intake, you want to eat as much carbs as possible, but HEALTHY CARBS! So instead of white bread on your grilled cheese, eat whole wheat or whole grain. They are filled with much more nutrients(white bread is garbage) and are much lower on the glycemic index, that will keep your energy(insulin) levels are stable. Healthy fats are also extremely important, fat = GREAT for us ecto's. Now that doesn't mean you should binge on McDonalds because even though a double quarter pounder with cheese(mmm) has 500+ calories and a lot of fat and protein it's not quality, more like empty calories. I mean you don't have to worry about eating there once a week but it's not healthy and there much better food you could be putting into your body. Great sources of healthy protein are chicken, turkey, LEAN beef meat, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, milk, yogurt, beans, nuts/seeds, and pork(I put pork last because it has a lot of sodium and I believe is the least healthy source of protein plus pigs are smarter than dogs). For carbs you can never eat enough vegetables and fruits. These are extremely healthy and tasty, i suggest eating them as often as possible. Whole grains are another great source, I'd stick with whole wheat and stay away from white/corn as it is high on the GI(glycemic index) and offers much less nutrition than whole wheat. Potatoes are great but eat red potatoes. They are much healthier than white potatoes(russet, etc.). As far as fat goes stick with these two; Monounsaturated Fatty Acids and Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids. A little saturated fat is okay but don't purposely eat it, it will probably already be in the foods you eat throughout the day(gotta eat a little potato chips and ice cream to keep yourself sane and happy). Monounsaturated fats will be found in vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, etc. Polyunsaturated fats can be found in vegetable oils, fish, and seafood. If you hate seafood like me, take an omega-3 and/or omega-6 supplement. They are widely available and can be picked up for a reasonable price(Don't cheap out though, you get what you pay for). You want to eat 4-6 meals a day. You want to eat as much as you can for breakfast, this is a key meal. Then eat a smaller meal in between breakfast and lunch (or post workout for some). Eat a nice big lunch, stuff your face until you can't anymore(stay healthy though). Then eat a smaller meal in between. Eat a big dinner, stuff your face. The reason I stress eating big meals for the 3 main meals of the day and not 4-6 small meals is because spacing out your meals and breaking them down into smaller portion speeds up your metabolism, so stuff yourself at the key meals. You will use a good bit of this energy through your day and work out and the extra smaller meals are supplementary to ensure your not burning more than your taking in.Then eat another small meal before you go to bed, this small meal should consist of a slow digesting protein, casein, so as your sleeping your constantly breaking down protein and it's being fed to your muscles. You know how they say not to eat before bed because your sleeping and not burning off the calories? Well this is exactly what we want to do. So I'd suggest buying some cassien protein to make it easy and take that with a nice big glass of milk. I think I covered that the best I can, in my own words from what I've learned over the years.

We all know sleep is important. The more rest the better. A long deep restful sleep is important. REM is where your going to be building the most muscle so make sure you get at least 8 hours if not 10+. If you have trouble sleeping I'd suggest taking melatonin which is the natural hormone in our bodies that makes us tired. There are also many other ways to get a deeper more restful sleep, just google it.

Training...this is important. You should be in the gym 30-45 minutes, NO LONGER! This will keep you focused and intense. Plus the longer your in the gym the more calories your burning and your just asking to go from anabolic to catabolic. Chances are your body is already super skinny and you look ripped, you just don't have much mass or strength. DO LITTLE TO NO CARDIO!!! If your insistent on doing cardio, I'd suggest not more than 15 minutes at a light jog pace. It's good for your heart, yes, but it burns a CRAP load of calories. So when you hop off the treadmill it's okay to be a little damp but sweat should not be dripping from your brow. Warm up before each exercise with 2-3 sets with a weight 50-60% lower than your average with a high amount of reps. Low Weight, High Reps. This will help to get the blood pumping to your muscles and loosen your joints and tendons up which will prevent injury and allow you to reach your full potential. Now once your done warming up, you want 3-4 INTENSE sets of weight you can rep 4-8 times. It's best to train 1 body part a day or two if they work in sync(DON'T FORGET TO TRAIN LEGS, THIS IS VITAL, GIRLS LIKE NICE CALVES AND NOTHING LOOKS MORE STUPID THAN SOMEONE WITH A HUGE UPPER BODY AND CHICKEN LEGS). I suggest training 4-5 days a week as intensely as possible. Every 4 weeks give yourself a 4-5day break just to rest and recover(ex: chest and triceps- bench press, dips, skull crushers) Do 3-4 different exercises, it's all you'll need and all you'll be able to do if you follow what I'm saying. I usually start the first set with a weight I can rep at 8-10 times until failure, then a heavier weight I can rep 8-6 times until failure, and last an even heavier weight I can rep 4-6 times, if your going for that 4th set I go for 4 reps, chances are you will be gassed by the 3rd. Give yourself a 2 minute breather in between sets, this will give your muscles a rest and help the lactic acid to clear out. It's not really smart to not give yourself sufficient rest in between sets because your still going to be spent at the end of whatever exercise your doing. If you don't rest you will end up using all of your juice and then you'll end up dying halfway through your 2nd set and be completely gassed. The reason I suggest going higher to lower is because of muscle memory. You want to end your set with low reps and heavy weight. Because as it's known heavy weight and low reps build strength and mass which is what were looking for. Lift heavy and intense. You should be failing at each set, if your not, it's not heavy enough. DON'T SACRIFICE FORM! It doesn't matter how much you can lift, that's not important. If you cheat and use things like momentum your only cheating yourself plus you can injure yourself. I'd suggest a 2-4 tempo if not 2-6. What I mean by that is on the positive motion you want to be explosive, try to bring the weight up in 2 seconds, and on the negative BE SLOW AND IN CONTROL. 4-6 seconds on the negative. I see so many kids throwing the weight up and down as fast as they can so they can lift heavier and rep more. This is ineffective and dangerous. So on the bench press for example put the weight up in 2 seconds, and bring in down nice and slow in 4 seconds. You'll feel the difference, because instead of just dropping the weight and letting your joints/tendons do all the work(ineffective and dangerous) your muscles are doing the work, which is the whole point, right? As ectos we usually have long narrow skinny bodies. That means longer arms, a narrower chest. longer legs, in other words MORE WORK. As an ecto with long arms(basically dress shirts are huge on the body, strangling tight around the neck, and too short on the arms)you have a greater range of motion. So when you bench for example. You have to bring the weight up higher and do a lot more work than someone with shorter arms plus your muscle is spread out on your arms, it's not as dense and bunched up. So don't be self conscious about how much you lift, and if your friends who can lift more rat on you, tell them to shut their mouths. My one friend can bench 100+ then me and tries to rip on me for how much I lift, i respond with showing him my natural 6pack and telling him even though he can bench +100lbs than me, he has bitch tits that flop around and have WAY too much body fat. Girls could care less about how much you bench at the gym, what they care about is ripped lean muscle, that makes you look good. So don't be discouraged or let anyone tell you that you can't get big because you can, you just have to put in the effort and stick to it. I might have left some things out but I hope you can get the idea of what I'm saying. I myself am getting back into lifting because I had some family troubles and issues that really had me down. I was 120 when I started lifting and shot up to 140 in no time. I could barely bench 100 and before I knew it I had gotten the 2 45's which felt so amazing. I could barely curl 25's and now I curl 40's. It has improved my self confidence and I get compliments from girls which makes it all worth it. Now that I'm getting my own life back on track I need to take my own advice so I can come back to school even bigger and stronger. You can do it and no person or thing can stop you from achieving what you want, you just have to want it bad enough.
    As far as what exercises to do you know what's out there. Just apply what I said to whatever exercises you choose. And remember to change them up often. The body and brain recognize patterns very quickly and they like things that are new. So to continue growing you want to keep things fresh.

ps. i really hope i win, i just used the last of my ON protein and could really use the money for tons of new supplements. I just paid 2grand in car insurance(not a spoiled brat)and would really put the winnings to use.
    Last edited by GetBeefy; 07-24-2008 at 03:51 PM.
    No one gives it to you. You have to take it.

Steroids are for the weak.

Brb cutting (no emo) 2.0Tsunami's Avatar
    2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000)
    High Weight, low rep using compound movements, no cardio if trying to gain weight.

Diet: Eat as clean and as much as you can stomach.

julie2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) julie2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: ectomorph

Wish these posts weren't so gender-specific. Keep in mind there are some of us ladies who are obviously not going to try to eat 6,000 calories a day or that will ignore our legs and try to build a massive upper body.

My highest weight was 120 and I worked very, very hard to get there. unfortunately, I started doing cardio. Almost right back down to 95 lbs in twelve weeks, wasting about 3 years of bulk.

Lots of fish and fish oil seems to have helped build it back up. So do nut butters, whole wheat pasta, steak, and potatos.

High intensity programs like twice-a-day training put me in the same situation as well. If my job involved a lot of moving around, I go from a 4-5 day a week routine to a 3-day, focusing a lot on squats, deadlifts, chest press, leg press, and t-bar rows.

Worst part of being an ectomorph is that I have to choose between the body I want and spending all my discretionary income on groceries.

Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I know a lot of women that would kill to be an ectomorph

Me and my ex would always joke about it because I'd be fighting to gain weight, while she'd be trying to lose weight. We used to joke about switching metabolisms.

**Edit Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be expensive to bulk up. OATS are your best friend. I'll be writing my article later hopefully.
    Last edited by Liquid_diet; 07-26-2008 at 10:04 PM.

aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000)
    What Is The Best Workout For An Ectomorph?

For the week of: 7/22-7/28

Ectomorphs are at a disadvantage because of their thin and fragile bodies. And unfortunately, they struggle to add size to that frame. Although it's another obstacle in the way, an ectomorph can achieve their dream physique with some hard work and dedication.

Ectomorphs constantly have to deal with the fact that they are too skinny, and no matter how much food they eat, they can't gain any weight. It's difficult to deal with especially if they are surrounded by bigger people and begin to have self-esteem issues.

What is the best workout for an ectomorph? Be specific.

Most ectomorphs have a difficult time gaining weight. For most the solution to this is doing high weight, low rep programs with lots of compound movements.

I have a few strong beliefs when it comes to making routines for ectomorphs:
    1. Use mainly compound exercises
    2. Use high weight, low reps
    3. Follow full body workouts or upper/lower splits
    4. More is not better--try to limit your exercise selection to as few as neccessary.

Here are two routines following these principles:

Routine 1
    Mark Rippetoe's Starting strength routine (Full body workouts)

-This routine was created by legendary strength coach Mark Rippetoe. It was created with skinny beginners in mind, but almost all trainees that use this routine see great results

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Power cleans

You train on 3 nonconsecutive days per week.

So week 1 might look like:
    Monday - Workout A
    Wednesday - Workout B
    Friday - Workout A

Week 2:
    Monday - Workout B
    Wednesday - Workout A
    Friday - Workout B

Routine 2
    This is Push/Pull routine created by myself

Push
    Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Military Press 3x5
    Dips 3x8

Pull
    Deadlift 3x3
    Barbell Rows 3x5
    Pullups 3x8
    Barbell curls 3x8

Week 1
    Day 1:Push
    Day 3:Pull
    Day 5:Push

Week 2
    Day 1:Pull
    Day 3:Push
    Day 5:Pull

I will also recommend one other routine that does not follow the above guidelines, but when followed correctly can yeild terrific results.

Workout 3
    The 20 Rep Squats and Milk routine
    Squat: 1x20
    Pullovers: 1x20
    Stiff-legged deadlift: 1x15
    Dips: 2x10
    Bent row: 2x10

The success in this routine comes from two places:
    1. The squats. You take a weight which would normally be your 10 rep working weight, and attempt to do 20 reps, taking as many breaths are neccessary inbetween reps. The trainee should attempt to add 10 lbs to their squat each workout
    2. The milk. As you see from the name of the workout, milk is a big part. The trainee should attempt to drink 1 gallon of milk per day. This will provide plenty of calories and protein to aid in weight gain. NOTE: Some people may not be able to handle 1 gallon of milk per day and should build up to this ammount.

Ectomorphs workouts differ by being aimed more towards mass and strength. An ectomorphs workout should build a strength base and pack on a lot of muscle. A mesomorphs workout could be aimed towards different things based on the trainees goal--trimming off a little fat, gaining some extra mass, gaining strength, or whatever their goal is. A mesomorphs workout should be aimed towards fat loss and gaining overall healthiness.

Here are some tips and foods for diet, which is the most important part of gaining weight.

Eat at least these group food items.

a) Milk Group: milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream.
    b) Meat Group: meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dried beans and peas, nuts.
    c) Vegetable Group: fresh, frozen, canned, juiced vegetables.
    d) Fruit Group: Fresh, frozen, canned, dried, juiced fruits.
    e) Grain Group: Cereals, breads, rolls, pasta, muffins, pancakes, grits, rice.

Alcohol can also be taken in small sips, perhaps before meals, as it may help improve your appetite. Alcohol must be taken after your doctor?s permission only. If you like oily food then try adding some vegetable oil or vegetable margarine to your food, particularly to mashed pulses, salads and potatoes. Go for fried foods if you love eating it.

Avoid Caffeine and Nicotine
    Caffeine and nicotine are good stimulants and help to increase the metabolism of our body. Avoid having these stimulants in excess quantity to help your body retain maximum nutritional value from what you eat.

Eat Late
    Having snacks at bedtime may help to gain weight, as long as it does not interfere with sleep. To gain optimal nutritional value from the food you have eaten you must relax after having meal.

Eat Frequently
    If you have food just for one or two times than it slows down the weight gain since it makes you feel that your stomach is full. Go for smaller meals and snacks throughout the day since it increases the food intake of our body.

Here are some specific foods to help gain weight:
    Whole or 2% milk
    Cheese
    Burgers
    Oatmeal
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches
    bagels
    chicken
    steak
    fish
    nuts
    olive oil
    oats
    beans
    peas
    potatos
    bannanas
    protein shakes

Thanks for reading, hopefully you will incorporate one of these routines and gain some weight.

Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Here's Mine!

Although I'm not a true ectomorph, I still struggle for every pound I manage to gain

Good luck everyone!
    Attached Files

Wow, not too many entries this week...

aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000)
    only 4 entries including me, so better chance of winning

one of them, no offense to get beefy, is just a huge blob

i havent read them all yet, but he should have fixed it up a little so it isnt so sore for the eye

(nice sympathy story too . i just got a parking ticket at the gym today and i pay for gas so i feel you)

good luck everybody

ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i'm attempting to gain more muscle. i'm 5'5 and weigh 125. i have a pretty hectic schedule at work, since i work graves. i have a really fast metabolism and consume almost 200 dollars in groceries a month and i live on my own. here is my schedule (i could've been more specific if had my app out but i'm kind of in a hurry). i end up doing my lifting like so:

ex: bicep curl

60x15
    55x18
    50x20
    45x25
    40x30

....how long should i wait to change increase in intensity? and also, am i doing pyramids right for gaining? or is this the way to "tone"...because i'm looking to gain mass/muscle, not tone
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    tue: chest, shoulders, *biceps: if i have extra energy
    wed: Biceps, triceps
    thu:legs, abs*extra triceps: if enough energy
    fri: free training (training of my choice, includes tkd, sparring, cardio and random new excersises)

*rest and eat
    *rest and eat

other activities: paintballing on sundays, and drumming

J-Beck is on a distinguished road. (+10) J-Beck is on a distinguished road. (+10) J-Beck is on a distinguished road. (+10) J-Beck is on a distinguished road. (+10) J-Beck is on a distinguished road. (+10) J-Beck is on a distinguished road. (+10) J-Beck is on a distinguished road. (+10) J-Beck is on a distinguished road. (+10) J-Beck is on a distinguished road. (+10) J-Beck is on a distinguished road. (+10) J-Beck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 2.0Tsunami View Post
    High Weight, low rep using compound movements, no cardio if trying to gain weight.

Diet: Eat as clean and as much as you can stomach.
    Agreed. Try to eat as much as possible.

suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The Best Workout For An Ectomorph?

These tips are very useful for ectomorph. My friend's relative is struggling with this. I will pass this to him. Best to get advice from the experts.

JackNbone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JackNbone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JackNbone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JackNbone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JackNbone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JackNbone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great info**************

good4you2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

work out for a ectomorph

i think we can all agree different people respond differently to number of reps and type of exercise and sequence of sets, so you should do what u think is the best for you in that respect.
    i personally have found that the 8 - 15 rep range works best for me but thats something everyone needs to figure out for themeslves.

i split my work outs into 3 days
    and take 1 - 2 days rest inbetween.

1 shoulders + arms.
    2 chest + back
    3 legs + core

each day has 3 phases.

each phase consists of doing 3 complete sets for each bodypart trained on the day
    for example 3x shoulder press then 3x tricep push-downs then 3x bicep curls. after each phase the exercises change. phase 1 and 2 use compund / heavy weight exercises and phase 3 is more focusing on isolation.

1st phase - is all about trying to get a good pump and to warm up, i always stop the reps knowing that i have about 2 or 3 left in me.

2nd phase - i try and plan my 3 sets so that im hitting my lifting peak on the 2nd and 3rd set. thats really what my aim is to do, to just have a brilliant 2nd n 3rd set, so although my 1st set is good, i make sure im not asking too much of my muscles.

by this time the pump should be at its peak along with your optimal strenght, which moves onto phase 3.

3rd phase - i do isolated movements as aposed to the first 2 which are more compound based exercises. i do isolated so that i can use the pump that i have to really nail into my muscles that they need to grow.

I think its important for ectomorphs like myself to not go into the gym and aim for max out lifts 1st exercise they do, instead treat your workout like a well thought out plan thats goal is to work up to getting the best pump and to do heaviest lifts and then once achieving that focusing on that muscle group with some isolated movements really drive it home.

Origommi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What Is The Best Workout For An Ectomorph?

What is the best workout for an ectomorph?

Being a Ectomorph does not mean going to the gym and being afraid to hit the weights,

If you are an ectomorph and just started bodybuilding

Figure out your 1RM for all the workouts you plan on doing...
    all lifts should be done at 80% of your 1RM to see the most Gains
    and Do the More Tasking workouts first

Monday:legs, delts and traps ( 3 sets of 12 10 8 Reps @ 80% of 1RM )
    -squat
    -Deadlifts
    -leg press
    -calf raise
    -military press
    -upright rows
    -lateral raises
    -heavy shrugs

Wednesday: back and bi's ( 3 sets of 12 10 8 Reps @ 80% of 1RM )
    -deadlifts
    -bentover barbell rows
    -seated rows
    -hammer curls
    -ez-bar curls

Friday: chest and tri's ( 3 sets of 12 10 8 Reps @ 80% of 1RM )
    -dips
    -incline bb bench
    -dumbell flat bench
    -incline hammer press
    -skull crushers

Being a Ectomorph has advantages and disadvantages...the advantage is that your skinny, the disadvantage is that you have to work harder to get big like everyone else .

Ectomorphs workouts differ because genetically they typically have higher levels of muscular and cardiovascular endurance but not muscular strength. so their workouts are typical Geared toward a strength regiment and less on the weight loss side of things like Mesomorphs and Endomorphs.

Being an Ectomorph means you are skinny and you can eat what you want, and in this day and age good foods are Opinionated, But what foods you eat can make you or break you, Diet is the MOST critical Part of Gaining Muscle.
    Ectomorphs should consume 2-3 gr of proteins per pound of their weight and protien intake should account for 30% of Daily Calories . Carbs should amount to 50% and fats – 20% of daily calories. In order for their muscle mass to grow, since ectomorphs burn so many calories it is important to over compensate with your diet rather than not compensate at all.
    Make sure you are consuming high quality Proteins , clean carbohydrates and fats. Ectomorphs Normal Calorie intake ranges from 2500 - 3000 a day.
    Calorie content is significantly important for each body type. Ectomorphs should eat each 2.5-3 hours. If you have a very busy schedule you’d better use some supplements, sports drinks and different sports bars. If you have enough time then take some food and drinks with you in order not to be hungry for a long time. if your busy and comes to supplements, it’s better to take two protein shakes or two carbohydrate-protein shakes a day.
    ectomorphs can also add creatine to there diet to increase energy levels and improve muscle adaptation. Last but not least
    They shouldn’t be afraid to go too far with carbohydrates: in practice, if they eat a large amount carbohydrates before a training session it can significantly reduce catabolism (destructive processes) during power training; and eating this kind of food after a training session results in positive anabolic (recovery process and growth) effect.
    Last edited by Origommi; 07-16-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo

Noli illegitimi carborund enderwiggin65's Avatar
    enderwiggin65 is just really nice. (+1000) enderwiggin65 is just really nice. (+1000) enderwiggin65 is just really nice. (+1000) enderwiggin65 is just really nice. (+1000) enderwiggin65 is just really nice. (+1000) enderwiggin65 is just really nice. (+1000) enderwiggin65 is just really nice. (+1000) enderwiggin65 is just really nice. (+1000) enderwiggin65 is just really nice. (+1000) enderwiggin65 is just really nice. (+1000) enderwiggin65 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up Great answers everyone

Thanks for all the great answers. I'll pass this on to my nephew who should find it very helpful.

lrhl123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Ectomorph

Ectomorphs focusing on gaining weight and mass should be focused on classic mass builders (as already stated from many before). While breaking down into split bodypart training works well, usually ectomorphs have decent seperation and muscle tone due to high metabolism. Focus should be on heavy lifting, not over-complicating things, and bringing in calories. Example program below:

Day1: Legs

Squats (Low or High Bar)* 5 sets x 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 3
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 3 sets 8-10 reps
    BB Lunges: 3 sets 10-12 reps
    Glute-Ham Raises or Lying Leg Curls: 3 sets 12-15 reps (burnout or dropset the final set)
    Leg Extension (same as above)
    Calf Work: Smith Machine Platform Calf raises, Calf Machine

Day 2: Chest/Triceps

Flat Bench Press: 4 sets: 5, 5, 5, 3
    Incline Barbell Bench: 3 sets 5, 5, 5
    Weighted/BW Dips: 4 sets max weight/max reps
    Flat/Incline DB Press: 3 sets 10-15 reps
    Tricep Ladder or Smith Machine: 4 sets x near max reps
    Overhead DB Tricep Ext or Skullcrusher: 3 sets 8-12 reps

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Shoulders/Traps

Standing Overhead BB Press: 4 sets 5,5,5,3
    Seated DB Overhead Press: 4 sets 8, 8, 8, 6-8
    DB Lateral Raise: 3-4 sets 10-15 reps
    Seated Behind the Neck BB Shoulder Press: 3 sets 8-12 reps (light weight behind the neck can be dangerous if proper form is not followed)
    BB Shrugs: 5 sets 8-12 controlled reps
    DB Shrugs: 3 sets max weight/max reps
    superset with
    45lb plate shrugs in each hand 15-20 reps

Day 5: Back

Deadlifts** (Conventional Stance): 5-6 sets of 3-5 reps
    Barbell Rows: 4 sets of 6-8 reps
    Single Arm DB Rows 4 sets of 6-10 reps
    Lat Pulldown or Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets 10-15 reps
    Back Hyperextensions: 3-4 sets weighted 12-20 reps
    BB Bicep Curls: 4 sets 6-10 reps
    Bicep Ladder on Smith Machine: 4 sets x near max
    superset with
    variation of db/cable curls

*Regarding low vs high bar squats, many people debate over the benefits of one of the other my thinking is simple, find whats best and is most comfortable. If your squat turns out posterior chain dominant work your quads more during accessory, if it is more quad dominant work pc more during accessories. But one rule above all SQUAT AS DEEP AS POSSIBLE.

**proper form is key make sure you maintain good form or have someone around you all the time that knows good form to catch you on it. Heavy deadlifting hits the lower back, erectors and pc like nothing else can but it can also put you on the bench quickly too, so where a belt, get some chalk and pull!

*** I did not include pullups for a reason. I believe the best gains are from doing pullups frequently (at least 3-4 times a week). For an ectomorph, or anyone really, looking to gain back size quickly you should hammer out pullups regularly. Ive had my best results with 3x a week 5-6 sets max reps, and then move on to weighted when you want to switch it up.

How does it differ?

There are a few things that dont change; you need drive, hard work, motivation, and dedication. Other than that the one thing is less glamour work. You will gain the most mass/strength training the muscles you dont see in the mirror, and in the long run these gains will make your "beach muscles" that much more appealing. It is very important to keep a record of your compound lifts and try to improve on them every session, even if its 5lbs or one more rep. Also ectomorphs should take it easy on excessive cardio.

Quality Foods for an ectomorph.

Theres nothing I can say on here that would be groundbreaking. Obviously good fats, lean meats and extra calories. One good tip I can suggest is try to drink at least 3/4 gallon of milk a day, if not a whole gallon. And make sure you get in slow digesting protein at night, like milk or cottage cheese.

Toxo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Toxo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Toxo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Toxo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Toxo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Toxo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Toxo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Toxo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Toxo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Toxo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Toxo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for posting this.. Was in need of this

Registered User TylerDurdenecto's Avatar
    TylerDurdenecto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ever thought about trying the workout Brad Pitt did for fight club? He's an ecto, probably some meso to, and he had the body of a greek god

art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Toxo View Post
    Thanks for posting this.. Was in need of this
    yes, thank you.

jaysteal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by moosh View Post
    Being a ecto/meso I know about putting on size. The best workout for an ecto would be reps from 8-12, and 3 exercises with 2 sets each, stick to compounds until you pack on some mass, then worry about defining. Try to rest as little as possible between sets, about 30 sec so your muscle are more under tension, and try to complete your workout as fast as possible, so you can have all the other time to rest.

Ecto workouts differ from the other 2 types because you have to cut the time in half so your burning the least calories possible. Other than your nutritional needs there's not really a more different approach to training.

Good foods for an ecto would be, bagels, pasta, steak, beef, eggs, a good weightgainer, and other healthy calorie dense foods. Ectos can cheat more than the other body types, but make sure to have limits. Get in at least 4,500 min to 6,000 calories per day, with at least 600 calories per meal. 6 to 9 meals per day if your really serious and don't forget 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight per day. Drink the gainer shakes between meals and before bed, get a scale it'll motivate you to eat more. Good luck with your gains.
    good post bro

MyBodyIsReadyX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the post

dhooverCM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TylerDurdenecto View Post
    Ever thought about trying the workout Brad Pitt did for fight club? He's an ecto, probably some meso to, and he had the body of a greek god
    sure did