Pchild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pchild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pchild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pchild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pchild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pchild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pchild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pchild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pchild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pchild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pchild has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lack of flexability during Squatting Motion.

Critiquing my own squat form, I grabbed a broom handle and my digital camera, recorded my self performing a squat.

I noticed that with out the weight I was unable to get my quads parallel with the ground, I didn't have the natural flexibility.

I see demonstrations where people have very low weight demonstrating proper form and they seem to have no problems going down. It makes me wonder if I am in risk of injuring my self using the weight to achieve full decent. I don't feel added stress or tension in the gym, forum feels right.

My forum looked fine from what I taped, i was just unable to go all the way down with out extra weight on my shoulders.

Do you feel I should work on exercises to increase my flexibility?
    Goal:
    1-1-09: 185lbs - 9%BF

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You should have someone vid you at the gym with real weight. I bet that will be telling here.

Anyhow, without knowing what your problem areas are, if you do indeed have any, it's hard to say. Check out these and see if any apply to you.

http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Inflexibilities.html
    http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Weaknesses.html
    http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Posture.html
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Pchild View Post
    Do you feel I should work on exercises to increase my flexibility?
    I can't see where becoming more flexible wouldn't be desirable.
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    You should have someone vid you at the gym with real weight. I bet that will be telling here.

Anyhow, without knowing what your problem areas are, if you do indeed have any, it's hard to say. Check out these and see if any apply to you.

http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Inflexibilities.html
    http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Weaknesses.html
    http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Posture.html
    +1! Great links!

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try changing your feet position. Try a wide stance and if that doesn't help, try a closer stance; until you get the feeling of getting all the way down (without rounding your back).

Also, try getting down without the weight and try with a bit of weight to help the stretch at the bottom.

ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lol I got the same problem. I try to squat with no weights and I almost fall when I get down to parallel. I bet even if I only used the bar weight it would be game over for me. I've learned to accept my lack of flexibility and I am content on going down to about 20 degrees to parallel.

TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Same problem here my friend. Its very hard for me to go parallel/break parallel without my lower back rounding, all the while keeping the weight on my heels.

Could be a combination of hip flexor inflexibility, lower back inflexibility or hamstring inflexibility. Possibly all three.

Dynamic stretching works great.

I would recommend hyperextensions - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...extension.html I wouldn't start with weight but maybe work up to it.

Also, check this out - http://stronglifts.com/7-dynamic-str...-hip-mobility/

scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scratchx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ElayneTrakand View Post
    lol I got the same problem. I try to squat with no weights and I almost fall when I get down to parallel. I bet even if I only used the bar weight it would be game over for me. I've learned to accept my lack of flexibility and I am content on going down to about 20 degrees to parallel.
    It's definitely something you can work on. Like I said above, try playing around with your feet position until you find a stance that you can get down with. And try sitting in the squat position for a minute or two stretching out.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ElayneTrakand View Post
    I've learned to accept my lack of flexibility and I am content on going down to about 20 degrees to parallel.
    You mean you've given up on the problem and have settled on using incorrect form. Both more dangerous, and less effective than full RoM.

Bravo.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TallKyle13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I personally am willing to put in the time in effort to do dynamic stretching and exercises that will help benefit my squat.

Its such a great exercise and 75% of people do it wrong anyways, so why would'nt you want to be more flexible and thus increase your squat potential?

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Everyone should be able to drop into a full squat without a problem. If you keep squatting to full depth (with weight) you should develop the flexibility to do this fairly quickly.

In the meantime a little stretching and hip mobility work can't hurt. Check out this routine:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...91&postcount=6
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Are you sure its a flexability issue?

If you can take a ****, you should be able to squat. If you weren't flexable enough, you'd never make it onto the toilet.

Try box squats. Get a box that parallel or slightly lower, and start sitting on it with light weight. Hell do bodyweight box squats to start off with if you have to. Just make sure you're using good form, staying tight, not ploping down on the box etc. Box squats can cure a lot of squat problems right off the bat.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Keep squatting and wear a belt. I have short hamstrings which means that I have less natural flexibility then a lot of people and when I first started I had the back rounding knees in front of feet etc. I did a combination of stretching and being on Rippetoe's helped me a lot. It's gradual though and I still have problems from time to time making sure that I get to parallel or below so when you're working on things make sure to try making it natural to go past parallel. Even if you think you are during a rep you might be but you are aren't, you're certainly deeper then if you hadn't practiced going past parallel.

Edit on the belt-I wear one as I sometimes good morning part of a rep as well which is large problem with my situation. Hopefully I'll get better flexibility in the long run but I play it safe for at least now
    Last edited by Kion; 07-23-2008 at 06:18 AM.
    New journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121476491

Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ArchDukeOfTops View Post
    Are you sure its a flexability issue?

If you can take a ****, you should be able to squat. If you weren't flexable enough, you'd never make it onto the toilet.

Try box squats. Get a box that parallel or slightly lower, and start sitting on it with light weight. Hell do bodyweight box squats to start off with if you have to. Just make sure you're using good form, staying tight, not ploping down on the box etc. Box squats can cure a lot of squat problems right off the bat.
    I dont know about you but I dont balance myself or hold myself in one position when im on the toilet. When your sitting on something that takes away almost all the pressure off your legs to hold you up.

I think it is definitely a flexibility issue. I also have this same problem when trying to squat without weight. Working on my flexibility has definitely helped though.
    ****************************G-Money******************************
    -------------------------------- Chicagoan Crew -----------------------------------
    -----------------------Da Vice President of Da Chicagoan Crew--------------------------------
    -----------=[$]MISC. FINANCE CREW[$]=- (Intern on his way to CEOinggg)---------------------

A lot of this problem can be cured by strengthening the core. The core helps hold the body upright during the squat. Be sure to hold your breath through a majority of the lift. It helps keep pressure (a good kind of pressure) on the spine via the thoracic cavity.

For the folks who can't squat with just the bar: Try putting a bit of weight on there. I find my form is all wacky if I just do the bar; it's simply too light to keep me grounded, so to speak.

Can you people sit on a curb with your feet flat on the ground? Then you can squat ATG. That is not to say you'll be able to go that low on the squats--your body will be in a slightly different position, but the theory is the same.