Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)

8 Reasons You're Not Seeing Results In The Gym.

This article is for the members at the gym I PT

8 REASONS YOU'RE NOT SEEING RESULTS AT THE GYM
    By Julian Gaylor, Fitness Consultant

If you are finding that you are not getting the results that you would like, maybe it's due to one (or more) of the reasons below.

1. You don't have a specific goal
    We all go to the gym for a reason. Common reasons include 'To lose weight', 'To get fitter/stronger' or 'To build more muscle'. If you are serious about getting results, these goals are not specific enough. Give yourself a deadline. For example, if your aim is to change your body weight, make it specific by saying 'I want to gain/lose 5 kgs in the next 6 weeks'.

2. You don't keep a training journal
    A training journal is your roadmap to results. If you don't keep one, you don't know where you're going or how fast you are getting there. A training journal can be a program sheet written up by a trainer or your own gym diary. You need to fill this out every session. Write down what exercises you did, how many sets, reps and the weight lifted. For cardio sessions, depending on the machine you use, write down the time, speed, distance, incline or resistance. Because you are documenting your sessions, you know exactly what you have done in each workout and therefore, can try and improve each session.

3. You undo all your good work by not eating well
    So many people sweat it out in the gym and give it their all but then go and sabotage themselves by eating badly. The most common problem is with those trying lose weight. If you come to the gym and work hard, but then leave the gym only to continue on with your poor diet, sure the exercise might help a little but if you are still making poor nutritional choices and eating WAY too much, chances are your weight will stay the same or even continue to rise! The worst part is, not only do some people not change their diet, but because they are working so hard in the gym they feel the need to reward themselves with a little treat in the form of fast food, chocolate, cake, alcohol etc. Chances are this little treat is a calorie bomb which has more calories than they actually burn in the gym (possibly in the whole week!) which more than counteracts all the hard work they do in the gym.

4. You're doing the same workout you were doing 2 months ago
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result- It?s an old adage that's been beaten to death but is still relevant. You may not realise it but our bodies are smart and lazy machines. If you do the same exercises repeatedly, the body will find the most efficient way of completing them. This is bad news because it means when our bodies become more efficient it will be harder to lose weight or gain muscle, strength, and cardiovascular fitness. Keep your body guessing by starting a new program or even doing your program in the opposite order. If you do 30mins on the treadmill, do 25mins at a higher speed or use a different machine altogether!

5. You are not consistent with your training
    It?s not about what you do SOME of the time, it?s what you do MOST of the time. Missing a rare session here and there is ok but when you start to miss sessions every week, you are seriously hindering your ability to make progress. Let?s do some quick math here- There's twenty-four hours in a day, yes? Ok, so if there?s seven days in a week that's a total of one hundred and sixty-eight hours. Still following? Good. Doing three- one hour session a week is a whopping 1.78% of your whole week. Is that too much to spare?

6. You?re exercising too much
    Here?s the opposite of #5 They say too much of a good thing can be bad for you. Exercise is no different. Training too hard, too often can actually hinder your ability to make progress. When training in the gym, you put your body under a lot of stress (good stress). When weightlifting you actually damage your muscles and make micro-tears in them. When you are resting, the muscles repair and rebuild bigger and stronger so in actual fact, you don't get bigger and stronger in the gym, you get bigger and stronger when you are resting. This means if you don't rest enough, you don't give your muscles enough time to repair and recover which leaves you prone to injury and can make you smaller and weaker! Even when you train different body parts each day, it still taxes your body as a whole so it still needs time to recover.

The same can be said for cardio training. When putting in a hard cardio session, it taxes your whole body. Among other things, your immune system becomes suppressed as all your bodies resources are trying to help you recover from the intense exercise. This really isn't a big problem as your body returns to its normal state after time but if you continually put your body under intense stress and don't allow for sufficient recovery time, you will gradually run yourself into the ground and exercise will become less productive and less enjoyable! I even take a whole week off from training every 8- 12 weeks. I actually find i come back more motivated and stronger as I've let my body fuller rest and recover!

7. You're not pushing yourself hard enough
    As with everything in life, if you want to truly succeed you need to get out of your comfort zone. It's no different in the gym. If you want to see results, you must challenge your body and give it a reason to change! Now with that said, I don't want you to train so hard that you are at the point of literal exhaustion. That's just dangerous and actually has adverse effects on your body. With that said, chances are when you think you are working your hardest, you are actually nowhere near your maximum potential. The reason you think you couldn't possibly put anymore effort in is because you?ve never tried to! Next time you are exercising, put the treadmill up an extra 0.5km/h or go for another 30 seconds. When weight training and you think you're done try squeezing another one or two reps out. Dig deep! You might surprise yourself.

8. You're weightlifting with your ego, not your brain.
    Ever notice that the biggest guys in the gym or those with the best muscle tone don't lift the heaviest weights? That?s because they lift smart and target the right muscles. In general, most people who lift weights do so with the intention of improving their lean muscle mass. Unfortunately, it is an all too frequent occurrence that people let their ego get in the way and get caught up in worrying more about the amount of weight they are lifting rather than the technique they use. When lifting with bad technique you usually bring other muscles into the movement which then takes all the stress of the desired muscles. For example, if someone is doing a bicep curl with too much weight, they will usually swing their upper body and bring the shoulders into the movement. This means that the muscles in the back and the deltoids (shoulder muscles) are doing a lot of the work rather than the biceps.

You'll get better results lifting a lighter weight with good form that really targets the desired muscles than a heavier weight with bad form. Remember- it's not how much you lift, it's how much you look like you can lift!

-By Julian Gaylor

CureCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CureCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CureCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CureCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CureCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CureCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CureCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CureCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CureCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CureCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CureCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Excellent Post!
    Owner: www.acpartshouse.com
    Working on my ISSA Cert

**People deserve a Second Chance, but never a third.

Ac3oS is not very helpful. (-500) Ac3oS is not very helpful. (-500) Ac3oS is not very helpful. (-500) Ac3oS is not very helpful. (-500) Ac3oS is not very helpful. (-500) Ac3oS is not very helpful. (-500) Ac3oS is not very helpful. (-500) Ac3oS is not very helpful. (-500) Ac3oS is not very helpful. (-500) Ac3oS is not very helpful. (-500) Ac3oS is not very helpful. (-500)
    Reps! Excellent post!

jonzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonzz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    very informative..thank you!

fitprobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitprobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitprobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitprobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitprobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitprobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitprobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitprobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitprobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitprobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitprobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yep, yep, yep.... Nice job of hitting the nail right on the head.
    ~~
    Tom Bomar CSCS
    http://fitprobiz.com

statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very nice!

Related to 8), is that I always see a lot of people who focus almost exclusively on partials who seem to have no muscle.

They can move tons of weight, but gees, what good is that for a 3 inch ROM?
    http://www.statisticool.com/weightedexercise.htm

jipp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jipp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jipp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jipp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jipp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jipp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jipp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jipp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jipp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jipp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jipp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    very informative! thanks!

Skreddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skreddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skreddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skreddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skreddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skreddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skreddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skreddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skreddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skreddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skreddy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    would love to see more articles about things not to do
    I dig weights

VirusTi is on a distinguished road. (+10) VirusTi is on a distinguished road. (+10) VirusTi is on a distinguished road. (+10) VirusTi is on a distinguished road. (+10) VirusTi is on a distinguished road. (+10) VirusTi is on a distinguished road. (+10) VirusTi is on a distinguished road. (+10) VirusTi is on a distinguished road. (+10) VirusTi is on a distinguished road. (+10) VirusTi is on a distinguished road. (+10) VirusTi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    awesome

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good article, except the title has a grammatical error, which makes the whole thing look bad.
    Time To Re-Schedule

Micah123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Micah123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Micah123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Micah123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Micah123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Micah123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Micah123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Micah123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Micah123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Micah123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Micah123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great article Jules, look forward to seeing more in the future

Zeus's OTHER Son... CapnPowerMonger's Avatar
    CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I especially like the take a week off approach. I think a week off is great to allow the body to fully recover. Every couple of months is great. Im going to disneyworld first week of sept, and i wont be training at all. Recovery week.
    "Nil Desperandum"

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." - Seneca

joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    excellent post...my problems have always been number 2 and number 4....I'm so un scientific about how I go about my training, I never write anything down therefore can't record progress or lack thereof......also changing routines is something I should do more often( usually stay with an exercise tilll I hit a complete wall in it.) I'm learning little by little...lol...anyways.... great post !

joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CapnPowerMonger View Post
    I especially like the take a week off approach. I think a week off is great to allow the body to fully recover. Every couple of months is great. Im going to disneyworld first week of sept, and i wont be training at all. Recovery week.

I have a question about recovery time, I do weight training every other day (not the same body parts) and cardio the days I don't do weights, I also take one full day a week off(usually sunday or saturday), is this enough for recovery or Am i cheating myself ????

Zeus's OTHER Son... CapnPowerMonger's Avatar
    CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by joenj07087 View Post
    I have a question about recovery time, I do weight training every other day (not the same body parts) and cardio the days I don't do weights, I also take one full day a week off(usually sunday or saturday), is this enough for recovery or Am i cheating myself ????
    I workout 4 days a week, each bodypart once a week if that helps. Thats 3 days off. I may do cardio on those days, i just play it by ear. I think what you are doing sounds fine, but you might want to take at least 2 full days off a week (excepting cardio). Also everyone is different so find out what works for you.
    "Nil Desperandum"

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." - Seneca

toathis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toathis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toathis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toathis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toathis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toathis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toathis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toathis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toathis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toathis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toathis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    thank you

aspenwhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) aspenwhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) aspenwhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) aspenwhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) aspenwhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) aspenwhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) aspenwhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) aspenwhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) aspenwhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) aspenwhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) aspenwhite will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    good post thanks

gtg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gtg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gtg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gtg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gtg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gtg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gtg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gtg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gtg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gtg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gtg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    thank you

Fitness-Freak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for this info. I need to give some of this info to my teammates cause they complain a lot on how they dont get better.
    Aaron "The Kid" Ransom
    NPC Bodybuilder, Fitness Model & Competitive Sprinter

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also the Greek." Romans 1:16

Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Excellent post. I have a question on overtraining. I do a LOT in a day, normally 4 sessions, 3 of cardio and one of lifting. Sundays off. I did some extensive research on overtraining, and I am suffering from not one of the symptoms. I noticed that I have been getting stronger, and faster, and I have more gas in the tank, but I am not getting bigger. I have been on this program for almost 6 months. Do you have any tips/advice? I want to put on some mass, but I don't want to lose anything that I've worked so hard for in the cardio department.
    -"I can't fix stupid, but I can try to sweat it out of you"
    -'Go BIG or go HOME'
    -"...Forever shall I strive to maintain the tremendous reputation of those who have gone before me..."

Tr0ublesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tr0ublesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tr0ublesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tr0ublesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tr0ublesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tr0ublesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tr0ublesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tr0ublesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tr0ublesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tr0ublesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tr0ublesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just wish some of my friends would read and understand this. They complain about not being able to see their abs and use too much machines. Then they are too stubborn to change their diet. Hella beer and carbs at night etc
    I refuse to be a role model, I set goals take control drink out my own bottles.

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bigzperson View Post
    Excellent post. I have a question on overtraining. I do a LOT in a day, normally 4 sessions, 3 of cardio and one of lifting. Sundays off. I did some extensive research on overtraining, and I am suffering from not one of the symptoms. I noticed that I have been getting stronger, and faster, and I have more gas in the tank, but I am not getting bigger. I have been on this program for almost 6 months. Do you have any tips/advice? I want to put on some mass, but I don't want to lose anything that I've worked so hard for in the cardio department.
    probably need to eat more.

PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Arnold talked about #7 a lot. I actually have a quote around here from him that really motivates me. Something about you have to push past the pain threshold every workout, because that's what's stopping you from progressing. Pushing through the pain to make your body capable of doing more reps next time is what separates champions from the rest.

Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bigzperson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jules_d1 View Post
    probably need to eat more.
    Eating is limited to the three times a day the chow hall is open. Would you recommend more protein intake? I take anywhere from 160g-200g of protein a day?
    Thanks
    -"I can't fix stupid, but I can try to sweat it out of you"
    -'Go BIG or go HOME'
    -"...Forever shall I strive to maintain the tremendous reputation of those who have gone before me..."

Benelli3022 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benelli3022 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benelli3022 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benelli3022 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benelli3022 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benelli3022 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benelli3022 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benelli3022 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    reps man, good ****

NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Great post! I'm guilty of #6 for sure, time for me to cut back and give myself time to rest and heal.
    “Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out.” Anton Chekhov

"10% of life, is what happens to you--90% is how you respond to it."

"I know that I know nothing"--Socrates

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good post! #3 should be in bold!! I don't care how hard you train or what your cardio looks like...if your eating is off you might as well take the rest of your plan and throw it out the window...

precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im doing everything contrary to that... Im seeing TREMENDOUS RESULTS.... patience and perseverance is the key

godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jules_d1 View Post
    This article is for the members at the gym I PT

8 REASONS YOU'RE NOT SEEING RESULTS AT THE GYM
    By Julian Gaylor, Fitness Consultant

If you are finding that you are not getting the results that you would like, maybe it's due to one (or more) of the reasons below.

1. You don't have a specific goal
    We all go to the gym for a reason. Common reasons include 'To lose weight', 'To get fitter/stronger' or 'To build more muscle'. If you are serious about getting results, these goals are not specific enough. Give yourself a deadline. For example, if your aim is to change your body weight, make it specific by saying 'I want to gain/lose 5 kgs in the next 6 weeks'.

2. You don't keep a training journal
    A training journal is your roadmap to results. If you don't keep one, you don't know where you're going or how fast you are getting there. A training journal can be a program sheet written up by a trainer or your own gym diary. You need to fill this out every session. Write down what exercises you did, how many sets, reps and the weight lifted. For cardio sessions, depending on the machine you use, write down the time, speed, distance, incline or resistance. Because you are documenting your sessions, you know exactly what you have done in each workout and therefore, can try and improve each session.

3. You undo all your good work by not eating well
    So many people sweat it out in the gym and give it their all but then go and sabotage themselves by eating badly. The most common problem is with those trying lose weight. If you come to the gym and work hard, but then leave the gym only to continue on with your poor diet, sure the exercise might help a little but if you are still making poor nutritional choices and eating WAY too much, chances are your weight will stay the same or even continue to rise! The worst part is, not only do some people not change their diet, but because they are working so hard in the gym they feel the need to reward themselves with a little treat in the form of fast food, chocolate, cake, alcohol etc. Chances are this little treat is a calorie bomb which has more calories than they actually burn in the gym (possibly in the whole week!) which more than counteracts all the hard work they do in the gym.

4. You're doing the same workout you were doing 2 months ago
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result- It?s an old adage that's been beaten to death but is still relevant. You may not realise it but our bodies are smart and lazy machines. If you do the same exercises repeatedly, the body will find the most efficient way of completing them. This is bad news because it means when our bodies become more efficient it will be harder to lose weight or gain muscle, strength, and cardiovascular fitness. Keep your body guessing by starting a new program or even doing your program in the opposite order. If you do 30mins on the treadmill, do 25mins at a higher speed or use a different machine altogether!

5. You are not consistent with your training
    It?s not about what you do SOME of the time, it?s what you do MOST of the time. Missing a rare session here and there is ok but when you start to miss sessions every week, you are seriously hindering your ability to make progress. Let?s do some quick math here- There's twenty-four hours in a day, yes? Ok, so if there?s seven days in a week that's a total of one hundred and sixty-eight hours. Still following? Good. Doing three- one hour session a week is a whopping 1.78% of your whole week. Is that too much to spare?

6. You?re exercising too much
    Here?s the opposite of #5 They say too much of a good thing can be bad for you. Exercise is no different. Training too hard, too often can actually hinder your ability to make progress. When training in the gym, you put your body under a lot of stress (good stress). When weightlifting you actually damage your muscles and make micro-tears in them. When you are resting, the muscles repair and rebuild bigger and stronger so in actual fact, you don't get bigger and stronger in the gym, you get bigger and stronger when you are resting. This means if you don't rest enough, you don't give your muscles enough time to repair and recover which leaves you prone to injury and can make you smaller and weaker! Even when you train different body parts each day, it still taxes your body as a whole so it still needs time to recover.

The same can be said for cardio training. When putting in a hard cardio session, it taxes your whole body. Among other things, your immune system becomes suppressed as all your bodies resources are trying to help you recover from the intense exercise. This really isn't a big problem as your body returns to its normal state after time but if you continually put your body under intense stress and don't allow for sufficient recovery time, you will gradually run yourself into the ground and exercise will become less productive and less enjoyable! I even take a whole week off from training every 8- 12 weeks. I actually find i come back more motivated and stronger as I've let my body fuller rest and recover!

7. You're not pushing yourself hard enough
    As with everything in life, if you want to truly succeed you need to get out of your comfort zone. It's no different in the gym. If you want to see results, you must challenge your body and give it a reason to change! Now with that said, I don't want you to train so hard that you are at the point of literal exhaustion. That's just dangerous and actually has adverse effects on your body. With that said, chances are when you think you are working your hardest, you are actually nowhere near your maximum potential. The reason you think you couldn't possibly put anymore effort in is because you?ve never tried to! Next time you are exercising, put the treadmill up an extra 0.5km/h or go for another 30 seconds. When weight training and you think you're done try squeezing another one or two reps out. Dig deep! You might surprise yourself.

8. You're weightlifting with your ego, not your brain.
    Ever notice that the biggest guys in the gym or those with the best muscle tone don't lift the heaviest weights? That?s because they lift smart and target the right muscles. In general, most people who lift weights do so with the intention of improving their lean muscle mass. Unfortunately, it is an all too frequent occurrence that people let their ego get in the way and get caught up in worrying more about the amount of weight they are lifting rather than the technique they use. When lifting with bad technique you usually bring other muscles into the movement which then takes all the stress of the desired muscles. For example, if someone is doing a bicep curl with too much weight, they will usually swing their upper body and bring the shoulders into the movement. This means that the muscles in the back and the deltoids (shoulder muscles) are doing a lot of the work rather than the biceps.

You'll get better results lifting a lighter weight with good form that really targets the desired muscles than a heavier weight with bad form. Remember- it's not how much you lift, it's how much you look like you can lift!

-By Julian Gaylor
    rizzzepped for the excellent post!
    You Have To Sacrifice What You Are, For What You Will Become.

I rep back!

National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certified - 10 years

Follow me on Social Media:

Instagram: @Understarmor
    ********: Paul Starnes Fitness

jon8105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jon8105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jon8105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jon8105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jon8105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jon8105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jon8105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jon8105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jon8105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Excellent information, thanks for the post.