maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Dave Palumbo keto diet

Anyone following this diet? I've been reading his thread on MD's website, and have been following the diet since Tuesday (about 5 days now) and been having some headaches and light-headed feelings.

I was wondering if any other women have had trouble with this diet, or have any suggestions of what I should do to keep it from happening.

Here's the basics of the diet:

Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
    Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
    Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter
    Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
    Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
    Meal 6 6 whole eggs

here's the link to the forum http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...t=2915&page=10
    but you have to be logged in to read it..

thanks!
    *whatever you are, be a good one*

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by maryeliz View Post
    Anyone following this diet? I've been reading his thread on MD's website, and have been following the diet since Tuesday (about 5 days now) and been having some headaches and light-headed feelings.

I was wondering if any other women have had trouble with this diet, or have any suggestions of what I should do to keep it from happening.

Here's the basics of the diet:

Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
    Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
    Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter
    Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
    Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
    Meal 6 6 whole eggs

here's the link to the forum http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...t=2915&page=10
    but you have to be logged in to read it..

thanks!
    I'm doing the Anabolic Diet right now and went the 12 day induction phase route. The first week was probably the roughest so far as just feeling WEIRD went. I was fortunate that I didn't experience any headaches.

Dehydration can cause headaches and low-carb diets have a bit of a diuretic effect. I did notice that my body went through A LOT of water at first. I normally drink a gallon a day and the first day may have exceeded a gallon and a half (quit counting past my gallon jug). I'm a HUGE coffee drinker and actually had to quit with the coffee for a couple of weeks because it was making me feel bad. If your liquid intake includes anything other than water, you might want to consider backing off of it for a while.

I'm entering my fourth week on AD. Currently my normal gallon of water is doing me fine and I can drink coffee again but I'm not as excited about it as I used to be. LOL

How do you feel after you have your whey protein? Any worse? You may be more sensitive to what they use to flavor it if you're feeling a bit off. The idea of sweets was really nauseating to me when I first started AD. My first carb up day (which was totally clean) actually made me feel sick! I was fine with it this week, though.

And...fiber...if your getting kinda backed up that can cause all kinds of problems that might not seem related to digestion (including headaches and overall muscle tension) as well. Can you supplement with psyllium husks or anything like that on Palumbo?
    Last edited by Amanda76; 07-19-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Official Fitness Fanatic trainwithrae's Avatar
    trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have used Palumbo's diet, it's great for competitors and I think the approach definitely works...... Long term? i don't personally think so. If you actually enjoy food then it might not work for you, it didn't for me. If I was doing a pre contest diet then yes but for maintenance it's not for me. Do you plan to do this long term as a lifestyle?
    MuscleTech Sponsored Athlete
    Want your best body?
    www.trainwithrae.com

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by trainwithrae View Post
    I have used Palumbo's diet, it's great for competitors and I think the approach definitely works...... Long term? i don't personally think so. If you actually enjoy food then it might not work for you, it didn't for me. If I was doing a pre contest diet then yes but for maintenance it's not for me. Do you plan to do this long term as a lifestyle?

I have to agree with this. I do have g/f's that have used Palumbo's diet for competing and it does work...but long term I don't think it's the best choice. I train with Layne Norton and I know there are articles/radio interviews with him and Palumbo debating this type of diet. I've never been a fan of keto diets...even before I started working with Layne.

maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50) maryeliz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks so much for the help ladies!!

Originally Posted by Amanda76 View Post
    Dehydration can cause headaches and low-carb diets have a bit of a diuretic effect.
    I think it probably does have something to do with dehydration... I've been trying to drink a lot of water, but I've got a busy desk job with a bathroom WAY down the hall - going to the bathroom every 1/2 hour isn't exactly helping the productivity of my day! But I am drinking a lot, no matter how annoying it is - like 160 oz/day, is that enough?

How do you feel after you have your whey protein? Any worse? You may be more sensitive to what they use to flavor it if you're feeling a bit off.
    I'm not taking whey - I'm trying to do it with all "real meals" and no shakes.. but I think I'm going to cave and start taking whey!

And...fiber...if your getting kinda backed up that can cause all kinds of problems that might not seem related to digestion (including headaches and overall muscle tension) as well. Can you supplement with psyllium husks or anything like that on Palumbo?
    I think I'm getting plenty of fiber - I take "women's one-a-day" multivitamin, and eat a lot of spinach. Palumbo encourages fiber supplements with this diet if you don't get it in the food - my understanding is the carbs you get that are really fiber don't count against you

Originally Posted by trainwithrae View Post
    I don't think I want to use it as a lifestyle - I'm trying to kickstart some weightloss, and will probably stick with this diet for a month, maybe more if its going really well. I'm not prepping for any shows or anything like that, just trying to lose some bf and not lose muscle

do you have any more info on Palumbo for women when you used it in the past? I'm having trouble finding info specifically for women.

Thanks!

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks so much for the help ladies!!

I think it probably does have something to do with dehydration... I've been trying to drink a lot of water, but I've got a busy desk job with a bathroom WAY down the hall - going to the bathroom every 1/2 hour isn't exactly helping the productivity of my day! But I am drinking a lot, no matter how annoying it is - like 160 oz/day, is that enough?
    160 oz should be more than enough (that's over a gallon), if that's actually what you're drinking every day and not what you're TRYING to drink.

I'm not taking whey - I'm trying to do it with all "real meals" and no shakes.. but I think I'm going to cave and start taking whey!
    I was just going by the diet you posted...you'll need to watch the carbs in your whey, I'd imagine.

I think I'm getting plenty of fiber - I take "women's one-a-day" multivitamin, and eat a lot of spinach. Palumbo encourages fiber supplements with this diet if you don't get it in the food - my understanding is the carbs you get that are really fiber don't count against you
    The average BAG of spinach only has 6 grams of fiber in it. You should be shooting for getting at least 25 grams of fiber per day. If spinach is your only real source of fiber, you'd need to eat 4 bags of it a day to meet that. Are you tracking your diet anywhere so you can check things like this easily?

It took me about a week before I quit feeling weird...the second half of the induction phase went a bit more smoothly. You might be on the verge of having things turn around.

I gotta say Rae and Kimm make some excellent points. AD is a bit different than Palumbo (AD is based around more fat consumption and is a CKD), but I have an idea about what you're going through. I'm not digging the lack of carbs much, myself...but I have yet to form a final impression. Definitely not anything I'd go out and recommend people try based on my experiences at this point.

160 oz should be more than enough (that's over a gallon), if that's actually what you're drinking every day and not what you're TRYING to drink.
    It is - I make myself drink a bottle first thing in the am, and a bottle at night, and then I drink a full bottle with every meal, plus one more mid afternoon - couldn't do it without crystal light!

The average BAG of spinach only has 6 grams of fiber in it. You should be shooting for getting at least 25 grams of fiber per day. If spinach is your only real source of fiber, you'd need to eat 4 bags of it a day to meet that. Are you tracking your diet anywhere so you can check things like this easily?
    well, just went to go check how much fiber was in my multivitamin... and its not in there!! So yes, I agree I'm not getting nearly enough. I wish I could eat more veggies, but I'm having trouble figuring out which ones have too high carbs - any suggestions on veggies that are ok, or on good fiber supps?

I am tracking my diet in a little notebook I carry around with me - I'd be glad to post it so far if you want to read it and offer advice

It took me about a week before I quit feeling weird...the second half of the induction phase went a bit more smoothly. You might be on the verge of having things turn around.
    yeah - yesterday I actually felt pretty normal, so I think I've crossed the turn around point! yipeee!!

Eddie220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a quick question. I'm just starting this diet, would 8-9g of sugar be acceptable with this program? I could not find PB without sugar so mine has 1g, protien 1g per serving and almonds have 1g per serving.