johnquast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnquast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnquast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working complementary muscle groups: on the same day or on different days

Hey guys, total newb here (at least to the forums). I've been training for about 10 months and have seen some solid gains.

My question is this - the general format of my workout routines has been to work complimentary muscle groups (say, chest and back or biceps and triceps) on the same day. So for example a chest/back day would look like this:

Bench - 3x6
    High Row - 3x8
    Incline D Bell Press - 3x8
    Low Row - 3x8
    Military Press - 3x8
    working to failure or near failure on the last set.

An arm day might look like this:
    Barbell curls - 3x8
    Overhead Tri-extentions - 3x8
    Preacher Curls - 3x8
    Tri-Press Downs - 3x8
    Hammer Curls - 3x8

So my question is - I see a lot of workout programs in M&F or Men's Fitness that have the muscle groups split up - Chest and Biceps one day, Back and Quads another, Tris and Calves another.

What have some experienced guys seen in terms of the pros and cons of splitting those complimentary muscle groups vs. doing them on the same day? Am I missing out on gains by keeping them together or does it not matter so much?

Any feedback appreciated, I apologize if I missed something in searching, I didn't find a thread that addressed this question.

saiyanj1n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) saiyanj1n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) saiyanj1n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) saiyanj1n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    if you're asking these kinds of questions, you dont need to worry about it. you're at a point where it doesnt matter. just lift the weights.
    God damn I'm gay

johnquast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnquast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnquast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by saiyanj1n View Post
    if you're asking these kinds of questions, you dont need to worry about it. you're at a point where it doesnt matter. just lift the weights.
    I get what you are saying, but I'm trying to make the most of my time in the gym. I realize I'm not nearly at the level of most of you guys on here.

Am I better off asking questions like this in a different forum with less hardcore lifters, if so can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for all the help. I'll try a different site/forum.

awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by johnquast View Post
    Hey guys, total newb here (at least to the forums). I've been training for about 10 months and have seen some solid gains.

So my question is - I see a lot of workout programs in M&F or Men's Fitness that have the muscle groups split up - Chest and Biceps one day, Back and Quads another, Tris and Calves another.

What have some experienced guys seen in terms of the pros and cons of splitting those complimentary muscle groups vs. doing them on the same day? Am I missing out on gains by keeping them together or does it not matter so much?

Any feedback appreciated, I apologize if I missed something in searching, I didn't find a thread that addressed this question.

It's just a matter of WHERE you want to put your energy. Though it is always good to focus on ONE major muscle group per workout, and give it all you got, you should see results. There are pros and cons to both. *Sorry for such a bonehead reply (^the guy above^), that was a very brawn over brain reply. There are pro's on this site that will give you great advice, I promise.
    Im not a pro, I am studying personal training and am a nutrition major. Plus I am a nerd and the time I am not in the gym I am studying.
    Hope this helps.
    .gainingweight.info/should-you-train-opposite-or-complementary-muscle-groups-together/

screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) screwedgenetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    3 day splits, upper/lower, fullbody... all will work if you are consistent. Which one works best is an argument that may never end. The w/o that will give you the best gains or fastest gains is still going to require alot of time so choose a quality routine that you enjoy, and just keep doing it.

Here are some really helpful links from this site for new lifters. Just reading the first 2-3 pages will teach you alot. They helped me

GST
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121353501
    SS
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131379243
    Allpro
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    How to deadlift
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=112127931
    How to squat
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=132962543
    How to eat
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981