Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rosesred98 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face I want to get certified as a PT, need advice.

So I decided i want to get certified as a PT, so far I have it down to my three choices. Any advice before I do this??? Can someone give me some feedback? which one is the best one?

ACE- ( not too pricy, i like that, also widely known)
    AFPA - (because i can use my GI Bill and be reimbursed)
    ISSA- (rated #1, but it's too expensive)

The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The_Animal_79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Id like to know this as well!

Yeah I figured I'd ask here and hopefully get some feedback.

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The first 2 questions i always ask is "what made you think about PT", and "why do you want to be a PT"

I ask because i see many PT's who are in the business for the wrong reasons. They are in it to make money, and those that are in it for that reason, always end up failing.

As far as which cert is the best of the 3. Either of the 3 will work. Honestly it doesn't matter. Just find out from the gym you plan on training at - which certs do they accept. They will have a list of 20+, and you can pick. Every website says "we are #1", a great marketing tool. There is no best certification

Good Luck

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Dont really like any of those certs.
    Why not go for ACSM, NSCA, or NSAM. These three are concidered the best in the industry? Your G.I. bill might cover ACSM, and NSCA since they hold college reconition.

upwd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) upwd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) upwd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) upwd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) upwd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) upwd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) upwd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) upwd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) upwd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) upwd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) upwd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Issa Is Worthless

ISSA is not accepted at over 1/2 the gyms in the usa, its home study option with online exam makes it not creditable. Go with ACSM, NSCA.
    baileys, 24hr fitness, golds gym, NYSC all take them
    -marc

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by upwd View Post
    ISSA is not accepted at over 1/2 the gyms in the usa, its home study option with online exam makes it not creditable. Go with ACSM, NSCA.
    baileys, 24hr fitness, golds gym, NYSC all take them
    -marc
    Worthless huh? So i guess if i'm ACSM or NSCA certified, i will be a better trainer than if i was ISSA certified?

It shocks me how trainers believe the cert makes the trainer. I know plenty of trainers and have seen plenty of trainers in my 15 years in the fitness industry, with ACSM, NSCA, NASM, heck even ISSA etc..., some even have degrees, who are horrible, bounce from gym to gym, complaining about pay. They brag about what certs they have, and they automatically have convinced themselves that they are worthy.

There are plenty of people who just workout in general that are better trainers, not even certified vs those that are certified

Funny ****
    Last edited by MVP; 07-15-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Originally Posted by rosesred98 View Post
    So I decided i want to get certified as a PT, so far I have it down to my three choices. Any advice before I do this??? Can someone give me some feedback? which one is the best one?

Rosesred98 - Again, any of the 3 will do. Just because you have a certain certification does not make you a better than the next trainer with a different cert. Having a so called recognized cert, does not lead to success

Success in the PT Industry comes from your passion to change peoples lives. No certification or degree will ever do that. Clients pay you to change their lives. They do not pay you to know who your certified through. Your portfolio will be the most valuable tool, which leads to your success in the industry. Not your certification. You show a potential client your portfolio, then you just gained a new client. Showing a potential client what certification you have means nothing to them.

Just find out what gym you plan on training at, and see what certs they accept. They'll have a big list. Pick any one of them and begin working on your portfolio
    Last edited by MVP; 07-15-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Whats good for lower abs? kserajuddin's Avatar
    kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MVP View Post

I ask because i see many PT's who are in the business for the wrong reasons. They are in it to make money, and those that are in it for that reason, always end up failing.

Good Luck
    I agree - they think it's easy money -

Really it's about giving - how much are you willing to give, and how much do you have to give - those two questions are more important than in any other career -

The good news is when you give to this career, it'll give you back -

Yeah, good luck - keep your head up and stay focused -
    "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - either Confucius or the Dalai Lama - I get them confused -

thanks everyone I appreciate your imput.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Rosesred98: If you wish to work with college athletes or other education based programs you will need ACSM, NSCA, or NASM. MVP is wrong about the certs. A good cert is iceing on the cake, it dos two things first it is a mental victory you tested your knowledge and won,second the client will know you put the time and effort into getting a quality cert not some fly by night one that anyone has a chance at passing.
    if I was to quess I would say MVP tool one of the major certs and failed badly.

Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    Rosesred98: If you wish to work with college athletes or other education based programs you will need ACSM, NSCA, or NASM. MVP is wrong about the certs. A good cert is iceing on the cake, it dos two things first it is a mental victory you tested your knowledge and won,second the client will know you put the time and effort into getting a quality cert not some fly by night one that anyone has a chance at passing.
    if I was to quess I would say MVP tool one of the major certs and failed badly.
    So you are saying that the cert makes the trainer? So i guess i better pursue another career? I better sell my PT Studio i've had over the past 3 years, tell all 63 clients that come to my studio along with my 2 great trainers, that it's over, because im not successful? I better cancel my plan to open up my 2nd studio in early 09, because im not successful? Heck, i might as well retire and give up, because i have not been sold on the so called best certifications. FYI, i have held certs with the Coopers Inst., ACE, AFAA, and NCCPT. I am now only ISSA and NESTA certified, looking at getting a Crossfit cert as well, but according to your theory, i must be doing something wrong and im unqualified, and these certs most likely suck to you

There are plenty of trainers in this business who have NASM, ACSM, NSCA who flat out suck as trainers, but you somehow are convinced that just because an individual holds one of the 3 certs you mentioned, they are a better trainer than anyone else? What makes you honestly believe that? Heck, i know 1 trainer in San Diego who use to work with me who is ACE only certified. I better tell him to sell his studio as well, because he's not successful or yet qualified.

You obviously believe that a certification, which is just a piece of paper with your name on it triumphs a portfolio?

Again - the client is paying you for results. The client does not pay you to know who your certified through. Showing a potential client what cert you have means nothing to them. They can care less. On the other hand, you show them your portfolio of all your clients before/after pics etc.., it's a done deal. This is what they care about. This is what they are paying for - RESULTS

You fail to realize that a cert does not make you a better trainer than anyone else. You will be successful in this business if you have the desire, the passion, the love to make a positive impact on someones lifestyle. Making them feel better, perform better, and look better, is what it's all about. Anyone who thinks otherwise fails!

So explain to me how i am wrong and what i am doing wrong, because you have convinced yourself that you are right
    Last edited by MVP; 07-16-2008 at 11:28 AM.

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    I guess we can all agree that the different certs have different focuses in discipline. We can also agree that some certs have varying levels of competencies to ACTUAL experience. I think what I'm trying to say is that why not ask someone with 2 different certs to enlighten us with what THEY think....

It's kind of like pigeon-holing, no?

/debate
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

Nick I have the ACSM fitness instructor, and the NSCA cscs and a B.S in kinesiology.
    I would not recommend the fitness instructor cert for a personal trainer it is heavy on fitness testing and very heavy on things like VO2 maxs calculations, mostly stuff you would use in a lab or a evaluation sight.
    The NSCA cscs is for training athletes mostly a lot of program design around enhancing performance. that is why I recommend the ACSM pt and the NSCA cpt or NASM.
    I have stated many time that I realize this makes me predudice, but the question is what does all this give me over on the job experiance.
    I can deal with special populations. I know what to do and not do with diabetics, heart patients, the disabled,morbidly obease and injured clients.
    I can deal with medical emergency situations with competency.
    I know how to evaluate science based lituricure, I understand pysiology, anatomy and how the things we do effect it and can use that knowledge to help clients outside of the muscle mags articles.
    I know how to biomechanicly evaluate a excercise or peice of equipment and tell weather or not one should use it.
    Can one learn all of this on the job "yes" but what is missing is the hand me down life leasons a teacher can give.
    When is the last time most people had the ability to see a human body and touch it and see how the fascias,tendons, ligaments, and muscles are truly conected?
    I don't mean to rant and I think you and mydamself are a rare exseption to my rule that personal traines should get a upper education and a good cert.
    I would still Encurage the two of you to enroll in a good kines program.

FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am training at 24 right now. They are heavily into the NASM stuff. I am ISSA certified and the two are VERY, VERY different. NASM has their own developed method which I would consider a bit more "cookie cutter" only because its what you see at every commercial gym. This includes a lot of stability, reactive and core stuff. So you will see people hoping on the bosu, or balancing on it, crunches on the ball etc. I am starting to like these mainly because i love to go through a different client workout and see what things work and what things I can change. However, NASM seems to me has developed a program that has 'sales' in mind thus the overhead squat assessment. I personally like the assessment because it gives me something to work with right out of the gate. However, considering that most people I see don't know how to do a proper squat its really there to help me promote the sale of sessions.
    Now, the ISSA is personally my favorite. They have more of the ol' school approach. This, to me is more of a hands on thing that involves the trainer in more with their client. You have your basic compound lifts that you teach everybody, which is what I believe in. This doesn't mean that you should teach the obese lady a squat if she can't do it, but putting her on a bench (this also depends, but for argument sake lets just go with it) is not a bad thing. Looking at commercial gyms, how often would you see an overweight person at the bench press?? Exactly my point. So, ISSA in my opinion is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. You can get certified by cheating on it, but if you actually study it, you will come out of the gate ready to discuss any issues that people have.

In my opinion having NASM and ISSA together can make you a well rounded trainer with a vast knowledge of the basics as well as the 'up to date' stuff that most clients like to do (because everyone else does it).

If you want to become a personal trainer, I would suggest you study and study. Read things on the net, read things weherever you can get them (if you have a cert you will be aware of the things that might not be correct as well). The more facts and 'trivial' stuff you know the more clients you will able to impress and let them know that you actually know your stuff. Knowledge in this bussiness is VERY important.

Hopefully that helped a bit.
    I learn 24/7. I don't pretend to know everything, and I LOVE lifting weights.

ISSA certified
    NASM- in progress
    ACE in progress

Why lie, I wanna look like Arnold in his prime.

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    Carl: great post.

I have been studying the ACE manual as of late, and I am shocked to see how often they reference the ACSM body in the ACE manual. I see after reading it they really only care about health screening, and not so much about training routine, or strength training guidelines.

It bothers me that ACE is getting so much credit. It's more like a bureaucrate's cert than a trainer's cert.
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

michael_james has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael_james has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael_james has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael_james has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael_james has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael_james has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael_james has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael_james has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael_james has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael_james has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael_james has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im taking my ACSM CPT test tomorrow morning. the basic study material they provide is excellent for risk stratification/fitness evaluation, cardiovascular and respiratory anatomy, metabolic calculations, and some clinical applications.

what it doesnt have are any sort of programs. it sparingly touches on what could really be in a fitness program. it stresses (an understatement) cardio exercise far far more than strength training. its kind of ridiculous, actually.

it seems to me if you dont have a history of personal fitness and a wide knowledge base for exercises, you could study your ass off, pass the test, and still not how know to do your job.

just my take. well see how it is a few months from now.

timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    24hr is all about NASM too now? I thought it was just Bally's..wow

To me, NASM is not as great as everyone says. I think everybody considers it a top certification because all the Bally's trainers are NASM, and i guess 24hr is the same as well now. I workout at Bally's and it's a requirement for their trainers to be NASM certified, and some of them have degrees. All the trainers do the same things with all their clients, as already stated cookie cutter workouts. Not impressed at all

I am ISSA certified, and independent. I am doing very well for myself. I dont think that just getting a cert, pass the test and think you know it all. Personal Training is a continuous learning process, and you'll learn more thru trial and error, and reading, than just getting a certification. Sure, a certification will get you a training position at any gym, but it doesn't guarantee you will be a better trainer, have more clients, or make more money than any other trainer in the gym
    Last edited by timperry; 07-16-2008 at 02:22 PM.

gino10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Worthless huh? So i guess if i'm ACSM or NSCA certified, i will be a better trainer than if i was ISSA certified?

It shocks me how trainers believe the cert makes the trainer. I know plenty of trainers and have seen plenty of trainers in my 15 years in the fitness industry, with ACSM, NSCA, NASM, heck even ISSA etc..., some even have degrees, who are horrible, bounce from gym to gym, complaining about pay. They brag about what certs they have, and they automatically have convinced themselves that they are worthy.

There are plenty of people who just workout in general that are better trainers, not even certified vs those that are certified

Funny ****
    I may not have 15 years of experience, but I?ve come across my share of individual, without and some with those home study certificates and it's scary. The crap that they spewed was mind boggling. You can seriously injure someone, if you don't know what you?re doing. It's not the certificated you should be concerned about, but the quality of the content. My suggestion is do some more research, and don't be shy to ask allot of questions.

kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by timperry View Post
    I am ISSA certified, and independent. I am doing very well for myself. I dont think that just getting a cert, pass the test and think you know it all. Personal Training is a continuous learning process, and you'll learn more thru trial and error, and reading, than just getting a certification. Sure, a certification will get you a training position at any gym, but it doesn't guarantee you will be a better trainer, have more clients, or make more money than any other trainer in the gym
    Wow, really well put - from a fellow independent, I can tell you really understand this game -
    "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - either Confucius or the Dalai Lama - I get them confused -

Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rosesred98 View Post

Thank u rosesred98 for posting such thread.

Guys, what if I wanna get certified as a PT for myself, not for business or money. So, what do you suggest guys?? also, if Distance Learning is an option it would be preferred.

thanks.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Fitness_Lover View Post
    Thank u rosesred98 for posting such thread.

Guys, what if I wanna get certified as a PT for myself, not for business or money. So, what do you suggest guys?? also, if Distance Learning is an option it would be preferred.

thanks.
    Sam question here I was looking at the AFPA because is relaitely cheap and they have a PT/nutrition for sport program.. wich is what I am really interested in
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitness_Lover has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    Sam question here I was looking at the AFPA because is relaitely cheap and they have a PT/nutrition for sport program.. wich is what I am really interested in
    I had a quick look at the AFPA and it seems interesting. At least they have Distance Learning. So I might consider it....

iCY will become famous soon enough. (+50) iCY will become famous soon enough. (+50) iCY will become famous soon enough. (+50) iCY will become famous soon enough. (+50) iCY will become famous soon enough. (+50) iCY will become famous soon enough. (+50) iCY will become famous soon enough. (+50) iCY will become famous soon enough. (+50) iCY will become famous soon enough. (+50) iCY will become famous soon enough. (+50) iCY will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The first 2 questions i always ask is "what made you think about PT", and "why do you want to be a PT"

As far as which cert is the best of the 3. Either of the 3 will work. Honestly it doesn't matter. Just find out from the gym you plan on training at - which certs do they accept. They will have a list of 20+, and you can pick. Every website says "we are #1", a great marketing tool. There is no best certification

Good Luck
    heh why is it that I hear this statement in EVERY field? "people who are in it for the money are in it for the wrong reasons"

it isnt necessarily a guarantee of failure.
    https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEzMDA1MzU5OQ

Its great for iphone/android/multiple PC users! Also by using the referral, you start off with a bigger storage capacity also! its WIN WIN!

Originally Posted by iCY View Post
    heh why is it that I hear this statement in EVERY field? "people who are in it for the money are in it for the wrong reasons"

It's just the wrong mind-set to have - when we think money we're thinking someone constantly trying to sell, constantly growing the business, imposing quotas, advertising aggressively, having rigid rules, etc.

But if all of that isn't built on a strong foundation of the desire to give extraordinary value, it's doomed to fail -

I was a pushy sales and business oriented trainer once - now I'm a relaxed, relationship and leadership oriented trainer and I make a lot more money, and actually enjoy what I do and it brings me a lot more satisfaction -

Sure you can be in it for the money, but you've got to realize what comes first, and that's how much you have to give - I read this in some book yesterday and it made a lot of sense, that how much your business makes is a scorecard of how much good you do for the world -

I could see a money first attitude working in some other fields like real estate or investing, but that can't really be the case in training -

timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by iCY View Post

It's true. Personal Training is a lifestyle. Some see it as just a job. Personal Training to me, is something i love to do. I don't see it as a job, or work.

rjthomp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjthomp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjthomp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjthomp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjthomp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjthomp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjthomp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjthomp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjthomp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm trying to figure out what might be the best certification option that provides the most comprehensive information to be the best trainer as possible...not just looking for which one certain gyms might accept or be able to make the most money with is. Any ideas which option might provide the most knowledge?

Originally Posted by rjthomp View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what might be the best certification option that provides the most comprehensive information to be the best trainer as possible...not just looking for which one certain gyms might accept or be able to make the most money with is. Any ideas which option might provide the most knowledge?
    No cert is going to make you the best trainer possible. Your passion to help change peoples lives is what will make you the best trainer possible

Buffet of Manliness! Mighty_Metcalf's Avatar
    Mighty_Metcalf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mighty_Metcalf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mighty_Metcalf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mighty_Metcalf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mighty_Metcalf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mighty_Metcalf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mighty_Metcalf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mighty_Metcalf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mighty_Metcalf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mighty_Metcalf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mighty_Metcalf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So you are saying that the cert makes the trainer? So i guess i better pursue another career? I better sell my PT Studio i've had over the past 3 years, tell all 63 clients that come to my studio along with my 2 great trainers, that it's over, because im not successful? I better cancel my plan to open up my 2nd studio in early 09, because im not successful? Heck, i might as well retire and give up, because i have not been sold on the so called best certifications. FYI, i have held certs with the Coopers Inst., ACE, AFAA, and NCCPT. I am now only ISSA and NESTA certified, looking at getting a Crossfit cert as well, but according to your theory, i must be doing something wrong and im unqualified, and these certs most likely suck to you

There are plenty of trainers in this business who have NASM, ACSM, NSCA who flat out suck as trainers, but you somehow are convinced that just because an individual holds one of the 3 certs you mentioned, they are a better trainer than anyone else? What makes you honestly believe that? Heck, i know 1 trainer in San Diego who use to work with me who is ACE only certified. I better tell him to sell his studio as well, because he's not successful or yet qualified.

You obviously believe that a certification, which is just a piece of paper with your name on it triumphs a portfolio?

Again - the client is paying you for results. The client does not pay you to know who your certified through. Showing a potential client what cert you have means nothing to them. They can care less. On the other hand, you show them your portfolio of all your clients before/after pics etc.., it's a done deal. This is what they care about. This is what they are paying for - RESULTS

You fail to realize that a cert does not make you a better trainer than anyone else. You will be successful in this business if you have the desire, the passion, the love to make a positive impact on someones lifestyle. Making them feel better, perform better, and look better, is what it's all about. Anyone who thinks otherwise fails!

So explain to me how i am wrong and what i am doing wrong, because you have convinced yourself that you are right
    Rosesred98 - Again, any of the 3 will do. Just because you have a certain certification does not make you a better than the next trainer with a different cert. Having a so called recognized cert, does not lead to success

Success in the PT Industry comes from your passion to change peoples lives. No certification or degree will ever do that. Clients pay you to change their lives. They do not pay you to know who your certified through. Your portfolio will be the most valuable tool, which leads to your success in the industry. Not your certification. You show a potential client your portfolio, then you just gained a new client. Showing a potential client what certification you have means nothing to them.

Just find out what gym you plan on training at, and see what certs they accept. They'll have a big list. Pick any one of them and begin working on your portfolio
    I completely agree the client wants to know from your personal success with helping others and yourself. I'm not certified as of yet, my gym requires nasm which I think is way to cookie cutter and I don't believe in all the stupid stand on a ball balancing bullsh-t either. I will get this though since its what they require but I also want ISSA as this is the one I've always anticipated having. To me and to most others your certificate is just a stupid piece of paper that any body with some time and effort can pass, having one doesn't make you a good trainer just allows you the job. A good trainer is going to constantly try to better himself and his knowledge and seek to get his clients the results they're looking for and I feel most importantly look the part it really erks me to see fat personal trainers or twiggy the pt guy who obviously doesn't know jack just naturally is lean show others how to live a life style. This isn't just training to me but showing someone on how to live the lifestyle that will get them the body they want!

Most personal trainers I personally wouldn't take advice from because I look better than every one of them at my gym and I'm not "certified" however, I've spent the past 10 years living the lifestyle and can guarantee I know more than the majority of them. To me it just looks so rediculous to have some overweight personal trainer trying to coach someone on how they can look better when they themselves need to reassess how they look.

Isn't part of personal training looking the part? Heck just looking the part is half the battle of getting the clientel I think. They see how you look and assume you know what your talking about and doing. I cant count how many times I've given advice simply because they see how I look yet again, I'm not "certified" I don't have the piece of paper. You think the average Joe Personal Trainer gets asked for advice where he goes, NO! Because most of the time they don't live the lifestyle and dont look the part, nobody knows they workout just looking at them.....This isn't everyone mind you! Just seems to be more often than not. I think its funny sometimes when I go to a gym out of town and its thier "policy" that you talk to one of thier trainers first before they let you catch a workout, then pencil neck shows up and makes me laugh!!!

Sorry for the rant, just bugs me that there are so many pt's out there that think they're hot stuff 'cause they have a friggen piece of paper! I'd wipe my butt with half of their certs. cause they really know jack about the sport.

Edit: Now I'll admit I dont 'Always' look the part when bulking offseason but you get my point
    Last edited by Mighty_Metcalf; 07-28-2008 at 10:27 PM.
    ~~~~~What would Strahan lift?~~~~

******MAKE RESULTS NOT EXCUSES!******

Originally Posted by Mighty_Metcalf View Post
    I completely agree the client wants to know from your personal success with helping others and yourself. I'm not certified as of yet, my gym requires nasm which I think is way to cookie cutter and I don't believe in all the stupid stand on a ball balancing bullsh-t either. I will get this though since its what they require but I also want ISSA as this is the one I've always anticipated having. To me and to most others your certificate is just a stupid piece of paper that any body with some time and effort can pass, having one doesn't make you a good trainer just allows you the job. A good trainer is going to constantly try to better himself and his knowledge and seek to get his clients the results they're looking for and I feel most importantly look the part it really erks me to see fat personal trainers or twiggy the pt guy who obviously doesn't know jack just naturally is lean show others how to live a life style. This isn't just training to me but showing someone on how to live the lifestyle that will get them the body they want!

Most personal trainers I personally wouldn't take advice from because I look better than every one of them at my gym and I'm not "certified" however, I've spent the past 10 years living the lifestyle and can guarantee I know more than the majority of them. To me it just looks so rediculous to have some overweight personal trainer trying to coach someone on how they can look better when they themselves need to reassess how they look.

Isn't part of personal training looking the part? Heck just looking the part is half the battle of getting the clientel I think. They see how you look and assume you know what your talking about and doing. I cant count how many times I've given advice simply because they see how I look yet again, I'm not "certified" I don't have the piece of paper. You think the average Joe Personal Trainer gets asked for advice where he goes, NO! Because most of the time they don't live the lifestyle and dont look the part, nobody knows they workout just looking at them.....This isn't everyone mind you! Just seems to be more often than not. I think its funny sometimes when I go to a gym out of town and its thier "policy" that you talk to one of thier trainers first before they let you catch a workout, then pencil neck shows up and makes me laugh!!!

Sorry for the rant, just bugs me that there are so many pt's out there that think they're hot stuff 'cause they have a friggen piece of paper! I'd wipe my butt with half of their certs. cause they really know jack about the sport.

Edit: Now I'll admit I dont 'Always' look the part when bulking offseason but you get my point
    True