beckylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dumbbell flyes - Isolation or Compound

Hi there,

Can someone clear this up for me, I've been trying to follow a workout routine following the 4 day split that I read about on the site. As ive been doing it for a couple of months I try and roatate the exercises so that I can change things up a bit, so that means every few weeks I exchange a compound for a different compound and Isolation for a different Isolation, I get all the exercises from the exercise database.

Today I was reading this article here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamesk4.htm
    and it called Dumbbell Flyes an Isolation exercise, however in the exercise database it is listed as compound. Anyone want to clear this up for me?

Regards,
    Becky

eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Well technically every chest exercise is a compound due to the fact that whenever you do a chest exercise its stimulating each part of the chest to a different degree.
    Flyes compared to incline / decline / normal stimulate less of the chest but still stimulate more than 1.
    The voice in your head brings you to tears.
    When you look in the mirror and your happy...You've lost.

Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Regarding flyes, I usually tend to think of them as an isolation movement. I do them at the end of my chest days.
    "Shut up and lift!"
    "Eat big to get big."
    "Deadlift and grow."
    'Train, Eat, Sleep."
    "Knowledge is power."
    "What does not kill you, will make you stronger."

Ergo sum fortissimus.

skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by eupharies View Post
    Well technically every chest exercise is a compound due to the fact that whenever you do a chest exercise its stimulating each part of the chest to a different degree.
    Uhhhhh, no.

Flys would be considered an isolation, but not for the reasons you state.

ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by beckylee View Post
    and it called Dumbbell Flyes an Isolation exercise, however in the exercise database it is listed as compound. Anyone want to clear this up for me?

Regards,
    Becky

DB flys are definitely an isolation exercise. Also, if you have access to a cable machine (at a local gym), try cable crossovers in place of DB flys. They are far more beneficial.
    "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

"You've got more definition than a dictionary." -me

Current Ignore List (for consideration's sake :D ): Ancients, ImproperOne, A-GAME

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A compound lift, by definition, is one that stresses more than one body part. For example, bench press stresses chest, tris and shoulders, the squat stresses quads, hams, glutes, etc.

An isolation lift, by definition, stresses only one body part. For example: curls stress the bicep, leg extensions the quads.

General rule of thumb: If you are moving more than one joint, it is a compound lift.

So, in my opinion, flyes are isolation since you are really only moving around the shoulder.
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

beckylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I appreciate all of your input, thank you!

thebm is not very helpful. (-500) thebm is not very helpful. (-500) thebm is not very helpful. (-500) thebm is not very helpful. (-500) thebm is not very helpful. (-500) thebm is not very helpful. (-500) thebm is not very helpful. (-500) thebm is not very helpful. (-500) thebm is not very helpful. (-500) thebm is not very helpful. (-500) thebm is not very helpful. (-500)
    Flyes compared to incline / decline / normal stimulate less of the chest but still stimulate more than 1.
    wrong

Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    A compound lift, by definition, is one that stresses more than one body part. For example, bench press stresses chest, tris and shoulders, the squat stresses quads, hams, glutes, etc.

An isolation lift, by definition, stresses only one body part. For example: curls stress the bicep, leg extensions the quads.

General rule of thumb: If you are moving more than one joint, it is a compound lift.

So, in my opinion, flyes are isolation since you are really only moving around the shoulder.
    wrong

a compound exercise is defined as an exercises that involves the movement of more than 1 joint. you could also say that a compound is any exercise that works more than 1 muscle, since obviously it takes more than 1 muscle to move 2 or more joints at once, but that's not how it's actually defined. The technical definition is that it's an exercise which involves movement in more than 1 joint.

with flys, the shoulder is the only joint that should be moving, so it's an isolation

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Seems it was all cleared up above me.

Compound = More than one joint moving (if done properly)
    Isolation = one joint moving (again..if done properly...I've seen guys move two joints on barbell curl; that is neither here nor there).

Flyes should only have movement at the shoulder, which makes it an isolation.
    Last edited by chazzy1864; 07-14-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eupharies has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I stand corrected
    The voice in your head brings you to tears.
    When you look in the mirror and your happy...You've lost.