mortimer19999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation should i change before cutting

hey, this last two week i was in maintenance (2400 cal), dropped my calories intake from 2900 to 2400, cause i was planing to start cutting the next week (tomorrow), the problem is i feel like ****, i didn't drop my cal bellow maintenance yet, and i feel already so exhausted, after some research i did, i found that i'm over training, why ? well, because i lost strength, muscle, i feel cold, no appetites,i feel depressed and i'm getting angry with everybody, soreness for 3-4 days, decrease of enthusiasm, motivation, don't wan't to train anymore (but still), and during this week, i had the flu, headache, diarrhea, and the worst, mouth ulcers ( to much pain when eating), some people advice me to take 1 week off from the gym, but i just took 1 week off 3 week ago, other says cutting workout volume, so can someone give me some advice, i don't know if i should take weeks off or what, help please.

here's the things i do, i train 5 day a week in row, (split 5on/2off), cardio 2 x 20min liss and 20min hiit, my nutrition regimen is simple, sweet potatoes,green beans, turkey, chicken, olive oil, oatmeal and eggs, i have one healthy free meal, my supplement are whey,creatin , multivitamin, fish oil, i sleep 7h30min each night

Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Reduce volume (not intensity) to compensate for reduced energy,recovery etc. when cutting if necessary. If you took a week off 3 weeks ago it shouldn't be necessary with a deload yet.

First thing you can do is drop the hiit and replace it with LISS, HIIT (if done right) can be extremely taxing on the system.

If the 5 day split is proving too hard, then going for a 3 day full body routine should be plenty enough to maintain strength and mass during the deficit.
    My story going from obese to fit while battling daily chronic headaches:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155566013&p=1104734533#post1104734533

Summer shred 2015. -final updated posted Sept. 19.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167135911

Originally Posted by Znik View Post
    Reduce volume (not intensity) to compensate for reduced energy,recovery etc. when cutting if necessary. If you took a week off 3 weeks ago it shouldn't be necessary with a deload yet.

First thing you can do is drop the hiit and replace it with LISS, HIIT (if done right) can be extremely taxing on the system.

If the 5 day split is proving too hard, then going for a 3 day full body routine should be plenty enough to maintain strength and mass during the deficit.
    I'm afraid of changing my routine or reducing the volume, someone tell me that i will lose muscle if I change anything when cutting, it's that true ??

Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mortimer19999 View Post
    I'm afraid of changing my routine or reducing the volume, someone tell me that i will lose muscle if I change anything when cutting, it's that true ??
    No it's not. Some studies have shown that just 1 set of normal intensity is enough to maintain strength and mass. Obviously you want a few more to be on the safe side, but changing routine won't cause muscle or strength loss (beyond potential normal loss from a deficit). Primary factors during a cut is ensuring enough recovery, protein/fat intake and lifting with the same intensity (same amount of weight on the bar as pre-cut) volume can be adjusted to compensate for any potential negative factor from a deficit.

With those factors in check muscle loss is minimal to none, muscle loss is vastly exaggerated.

Personally I always swap over to a 3x full body routine when I do my cuts, since I tend to rapid cuts of 2-2.5lbs/week I have no chance to keep up with my normal routine and recovery. Never noticed any muscle loss nor any substantial strength loss.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155566013&p=1104734533#post1104734533

No it's not. Some studies have shown that just 1 set of normal intensity is enough to maintain strength and mass. Obviously you want a few more to be on the safe side, but changing routine won't cause muscle or strength loss (beyond potential normal loss from a deficit). Primary factors during a cut is ensuring enough recovery, protein/fat intake and lifting with the same intensity (same amount of weight on the bar as pre-cut) volume can be adjusted to compensate for any potential negative factor from a deficit.

With those factors in check muscle loss is minimal to none, muscle loss is vastly exaggerated.

Personally I always swap over to a 3x full body routine when I do my cuts, since I tend to rapid cuts of 2-2.5lbs/week I have no chance to keep up with my normal routine and recovery. Never noticed any muscle loss nor any substantial strength loss.
    I want to try the 3 day full body, but isn't 3 day full body good for beginner who have good recovery and can train with more frequency ? Wich routine do you think will work for me, a proven one, I'm working out for 2 years now, thanks

Originally Posted by mortimer19999 View Post
    I want to try the 3 day full body, but isn't 3 day full body good for beginner who have good recovery and can train with more frequency ? Wich routine do you think will work for me, a proven one, I'm working out for 2 years now, thanks
    Personally I do a modified version of ICF novice 5x5 and adjust exercises according to recovery (add or remove depending on how the muscle groups feel)

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Barbell Shrug 3x8
    Skullcrusher 3x8
    Chins 3x5-8
    Good Morning 2x10

Workout B
    Deadlift 5x5
    Squat 1x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    One Arm Rows 5x5
    Close Grip Bench Press 3x8
    Straight Bar Curl 3x8
    Face pulls 3x10

And cycle those, with abs , foam rolling and mobility work on rest days.

Personally I have never had any problems with recovery doing that, but if you do a 3 day split (PPL) on a 7-8 day cycle depending on recovery. Which would be something like this:
    Tom Mutaffis 3-Day Split:

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps)
    - Deadlift (3-5 sets of 3-5 reps)
    - Chins or Wide Grip Pulldowns (3-4 sets of 5-8 reps)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets of 8-10 reps)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12 reps)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets of 10 reps)
    - Hammer Curls (2 sets of 10 reps)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets of 5-8 reps)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets of 8-10 reps)
    - Dips (2 sets of max reps)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets of 6-10 reps)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets of 8-12 reps)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets of 8-12 reps)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets of 15-25 reps)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 drop set of 20-30 total reps)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (3 sets of 5-8 reps)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (3 sets of 6-10 reps)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets of 10 reps/leg)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets of 10-25 reps/set)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets of 10-15 reps)

Cycle Deadlifts every second week if recovery is poor.

Program can also be used as a PPL rest PPL (7 day cycle) or PPL rest rest PPL (8 day cycle)
    depending on time and/or recovery.

The important thing is finding a program that allows you to lift with same intensity and hit everything directly at least once a week.

Personally I do a modified version of ICF novice 5x5 and adjust exercises according to recovery (add or remove depending on how the muscle groups feel)

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Barbell Shrug 3x8
    Skullcrusher 3x8
    Chins 3x5-8
    Good Morning 2x10

Workout B
    Deadlift 5x5
    Squat 1x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    One Arm Rows 5x5
    Close Grip Bench Press 3x8
    Straight Bar Curl 3x8
    Face pulls 3x10

And cycle those, with abs , foam rolling and mobility work on rest days.

Personally I have never had any problems with recovery doing that, but if you do a 3 day split (PPL) on a 7-8 day cycle depending on recovery. Which would be something like this:
    Tom Mutaffis 3-Day Split:

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps)
    - Deadlift (3-5 sets of 3-5 reps)
    - Chins or Wide Grip Pulldowns (3-4 sets of 5-8 reps)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets of 8-10 reps)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12 reps)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets of 10 reps)
    - Hammer Curls (2 sets of 10 reps)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets of 5-8 reps)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets of 8-10 reps)
    - Dips (2 sets of max reps)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets of 6-10 reps)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets of 8-12 reps)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets of 8-12 reps)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets of 15-25 reps)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 drop set of 20-30 total reps)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (3 sets of 5-8 reps)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (3 sets of 6-10 reps)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets of 10 reps/leg)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets of 10-25 reps/set)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets of 10-15 reps)

Cycle Deadlifts every second week if recovery is poor.

Program can also be used as a PPL rest PPL (7 day cycle) or PPL rest rest PPL (8 day cycle)
    depending on time and/or recovery.

The important thing is finding a program that allows you to lift with same intensity and hit everything directly at least once a week.
    Thanks, what do you think of an upper lower routine ?