ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Since you can only build 1-2 pounds of muscle per month....

Since you can only build 1-2 pounds of muscle per month wouldn't it be better to eat the correct amount of calories to only gain 1-2 pounds per month, not including water weight, on a bulk? And if you lift heavy during that time can you be guaranteed that the 1-2 pounds will be all muscle? Here is an article I was reading regarding this subject: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1268956 . The article talks about how you should try to stay at 10% BF year round and you will be bulking year round instead of spending time on cutting which is time spent not bulking. Thoughts?

Mod Hated My Prev Title b.spencer's Avatar
    b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ElayneTrakand View Post
    Since you can only build 1-2 pounds of muscle per month wouldn't it be better to eat the correct amount of calories to only gain 1-2 pounds per month, not including water weight, on a bulk? And if you lift heavy during that time can you be guaranteed that the 1-2 pounds will be all muscle? Here is an article I was reading regarding this subject: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1268956 . The article talks about how you should try to stay at 10% BF year round and you will be bulking year round instead of spending time on cutting which is time spent not bulking. Thoughts?
    I personally try to stick to clean bulking, I have seen great results with it, even losing fat mass as I gain lean mass (drop in both BF% and absolute fat weight). It does take longer to get "big" but I have time. Other guys swear by faster gains, and some use other means to gain more than that amount of muscle. But, to each his own.
    "You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They'll race behind you. They will stumble; they will fall. But, in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders." Jor-El
    ---
    Kris Gethin's Body By Design, pg. 43/44 (Yes, that s me)

Rocky025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocky025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocky025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocky025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocky025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocky025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocky025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocky025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocky025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocky025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocky025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yup..i read that in February...now im fixing my problem of my huge bulk which was not the best! 20lbs muscle + 10lbs fat lol!

i plan to cut to 8% BF then clean bulk gaining 1lbs a month and never gain that unnecessary fat!

and that article is the best BB article ever...tells the truth!
    Weight: 174lbs
    Bodyfat: 16.25% :(
    Stomach: 33"
    Waist: 33.5"

Incline Press: 155lbs
    Squat: 210lbs
    Shoulder Press: 105lbs
    Bi Curl BB: 60lbs
    Chins: ?
    Vert: ?

ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by b.spencer View Post
    I personally try to stick to clean bulking, I have seen great results with it, even losing fat mass as I gain lean mass (drop in both BF% and absolute fat weight). It does take longer to get "big" but I have time. Other guys swear by faster gains, and some use other means to gain more than that amount of muscle. But, to each his own.
    This isn't a question of clean bulking or not.

Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I totally agree with that article. Some people might have an "easy" time losing fat but I don't.
    So, once I'm done with my cut I'm going on a really slow bulk, possibly a keto bulk, and try to stay at the same level of leaness.
    I never quite understood people who use the word "bulk" to justify extreme over eating.. (this does not really apply to hard gainers who need an insane amount of calories)
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***
    *** Scandinavian Misc Crew ***

"Everything you do, every single decision you make, either takes you a step closer or a step further from your goal. You either grow or you regress; nothing stands still."

thastartof is on a distinguished road. (+10) thastartof is on a distinguished road. (+10) thastartof is on a distinguished road. (+10) thastartof is on a distinguished road. (+10) thastartof is on a distinguished road. (+10) thastartof is on a distinguished road. (+10) thastartof is on a distinguished road. (+10) thastartof is on a distinguished road. (+10) thastartof is on a distinguished road. (+10) thastartof is on a distinguished road. (+10) thastartof is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bulking is an excuse to overeat for a while before you go back to clean eating. To most clean eating is another word for "diet" in which its not. Ive actually noticed that now that im eating clean i can actually eat much more and still cut fat at a fast rate.
    Eat Healthy, Exercise Daily, Die anyways

But if you only gain 1 or 2 pounds not including water weight, will it be guaranteed to be all muscle? I can understand if you gain 10 pounds per month you are more likely to have gained 1 or 2 pounds of muscle even if you also gained 8 or 9 pounds of fat.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don't know if it was covered or not but a lot of guys take in WAY too much protein thinking that it will build muscle faster. It just turns into fat like anythig else that's eaten in excess of what your body needs.

tw
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

RSJRV99RSJRV99RSJRV99RSJR rsjrv99's Avatar
    rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try getting 4000+ calories eating clean, it's pretty damn hard in my opinion. I mean, it's completely possible, just eating a little dirty and gaining some more fat is much easier, especially for me since I don't have the time to cook 6 clean meals every day! But as long as you don't go overboard with eating dirty then there shouldn't be a problem. big muscle 19 on his bulk gained lots of fat, but when he cut down you can tell it was well worth it! Bladen also had this logic, but for many reasons i'm not going to use him as a very good example.
    "ive seen you around a few times. something is wrong with you. srs." -Joshua91

Originally Posted by rsjrv99 View Post
    Try getting 4000+ calories eating clean, it's pretty damn hard in my opinion. I mean, it's completely possible, just eating a little dirty and gaining some more fat is much easier, especially for me since I don't have the time to cook 6 clean meals every day! But as long as you don't go overboard with eating dirty then there shouldn't be a problem. big muscle 19 on his bulk gained lots of fat, but when he cut down you can tell it was well worth it! Bladen also had this logic, but for many reasons i'm not going to use him as a very good example.
    Again this thread and this article is not about eating clean or not. The article is just saying don't over eat because you can't gain that much muscle any ways.

rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rsjrv99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Again this thread and this article is not about eating clean or not. The article is just saying don't over eat because you can't gain that much muscle any ways.
    But would you rather overeat and gain the maximum amount of muscle possible with some fat gain, or undereat and not gain as much muscle as you could have?

Ninja School Graduate Breakology's Avatar
    Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50) Breakology will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try getting 4000+ calories eating clean, it's pretty damn hard in my opinion.
    You ain't lieing there brah! I normally eat 4800-5200 calories a day, I try to stay clean as possible, but sometimes I have to mix it up.
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

But would you rather overeat and gain the maximum amount of muscle possible with some fat gain, or undereat and not gain as much muscle as you could have?
    That's the entire point - do you need to gain fat in order to maximize muscle gain?

Phreek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phreek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phreek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phreek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phreek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phreek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phreek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phreek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phreek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phreek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phreek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That's the entire point - do you need to gain fat in order to maximize muscle gain?
    A reasonable amount. I wouldn't let myself gain more than 4-5% bf in an 8-9 month bulk.

I don't get it - does fat help you lift heavier weights or something?

Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000)
    But if you only gain 1 or 2 pounds not including water weight, will it be guaranteed to be all muscle? I can understand if you gain 10 pounds per month you are more likely to have gained 1 or 2 pounds of muscle even if you also gained 8 or 9 pounds of fat.

1 to 2 lb a month is for people who are already at a high level of training, not everyone is at that level. A noob only shooting for 1-2 lb a month is missing out. Say if you gain 1lb a week and at the end of 4 weeks you've gained 3 lb of muscle and 1 lb of fat (ideal.. ) that would only be an ever so slight body fat increase, like a fraction of a percent for someone my size.

Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are gaining weight (well eating at a calorie surplus to be precise) some will always be muscle (even if you don't lift) and some will be fat.

the slower you gain, while lifting, the less will be fat, but then you limit the amount of muscle you can gain.

So it depends on your goals. For any one person there will be a point of diminishing returns where most of the extra weight gained will be fat. It's not an all-or-nothing deal, but a spectrum of muscle vs. fat gain. Finding the balance for you and your goals is the key.

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    that was an awsome article.

After dieting for 12 months to get lean, I'm finally, after 7+ years of lifting, done with bulking and gaining bodyfat.

The article really somes it up best, if you keep your bodyfat around 10% year round, you only end up having to diet for 1 month out of the year, leaving you 11 months of muslce building, which leads to more muscle with less time off dieting in a caloric deficit.

The point made in the article is that you aren't gaining more muscle just because you're eating a **** load of food because a natural lifter can only add so much to begin with.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

Got lots of mixed opinions here....hmmm what to do what to do.

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)
    After I trim up and get a cut 6 pack, theres no way I want to go back to being fat again. I would probably keep everything the same (training, cardio) and add 500 clean calories to my diet, mostly protein. Slow and steady, just like cutting. That's how I plan on doing it at least.

The Arabic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Arabic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Arabic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Arabic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Arabic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Arabic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Arabic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Arabic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Arabic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Arabic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Arabic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by b.spencer View Post
    I don't believe it one bit. Why are people out there on 12-15 week bulks are not expecting only to gain 4lbs of muscle (muscle weighs more than fat). Come on now don't believe everything out there. Say for instance the abs zapper thing - I sit in a chair while current is pumped into my abs which in turn tighten them.. Did you buy that? Then why even buy/consider this?

It's hard for even athletes to gain a 1lb of muscle a week but in 2 weeks how is that not possible? If you lift heavy for a week or so and go back to those lifts the later why can you do more? minus the steroids ha you've gained some control, some core, some muscle. May not be a pound but it's something.

Article fails in my book.
    The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way.?
    R.K.

scubyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scubyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scubyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scubyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scubyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scubyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scubyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scubyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scubyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scubyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scubyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I think a distinction should be made between those just starting out and those who have been at it for years.

Those just starting out can expect to gain many pounds of muscle a month, just how many is up for debate, genetics, diet, exercise, and rest. However, if you're pretty muscular already, chances are you'd be limited to just a couple of pounds a month, as your body is used to the exercises, the food intake, and it's just that much more difficult to make the extra tissue.

The perfect analogy is like that of a car. It doesn't take much work for a car to get to 50 mph, but it takes a bit to get to 100 mph. Over 200 mph, however, it takes A LOT more work for every single MPH over, due to aerodynamics and other interesting things.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking then

jonazz is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonazz is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonazz is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonazz is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonazz is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonazz is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonazz is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonazz is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonazz is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonazz is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonazz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    love that article repped.

mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mike_d View Post
    After I trim up and get a cut 6 pack, theres no way I want to go back to being fat again. I would probably keep everything the same (training, cardio) and add 500 clean calories to my diet, mostly protein. Slow and steady, just like cutting. That's how I plan on doing it at least.
    You say that now but after the six pack then what? You will find different motivation I would suspect. Plus...who wants just a six pack - you need a big chest and some guns to go with it. Just sayin...

"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping." - Schwarzenegger

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by The Arabic View Post
    I don't believe it one bit. Why are people out there on 12-15 week bulks are not expecting only to gain 4lbs of muscle (muscle weighs more than fat). Come on now don't believe everything out there. Say for instance the abs zapper thing - I sit in a chair while current is pumped into my abs which in turn tighten them.. Did you buy that? Then why even buy/consider this?

It's hard for even athletes to gain a 1lb of muscle a week but in 2 weeks how is that not possible? If you lift heavy for a week or so and go back to those lifts the later why can you do more? minus the steroids ha you've gained some control, some core, some muscle. May not be a pound but it's something.

Article fails in my book.
    I read your post twice and I'm not following you. I think the article is good, and you have a different opinion which is fine. . . . I'm just not following the logic of your post??
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

Originally Posted by ArchDukeOfTops View Post
    I read your post twice and I'm not following you. I think the article is good, and you have a different opinion which is fine. . . . I'm just not following the logic of your post??
    Yeah it sounds like he is agreeing with the article and then calling it BS.

AllGainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Aesthetics are one thing being big is another. If you want your arms as big as the average mans chest. Eat like a champ, however, if you want a 32 inch waste and not be a professional body builder watch how much you eat daily. I agree with the article. Staying lean and making gains beats losing energy and ability from cutting.

It is best to walk down and $&#% them all.