borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Carbs before and after working out

Hey so first off id like to say my diet is not too bad. I only eat carbs before and after i workout and nothing else. My protein is throughout the whole day though i lack it before i workout. So in the morning i have a cup of uncooked oatmeal. Since i am not working out until around 1, does this basically convert to fat? And the same goes for dinner, which i eat is usual around 5, if i were to have alot of rice, does most of that convert to fat since it isnt being used? I actually try to avoid fruit, but i tend to eat it before i workout.

Can someone please tell me if this is alright? I am on a bulk and yes i've gotten more strength, size but have gained some excess fat and i beleive it is due to this excess carbs that i eat during the day

Cogsmitter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cogsmitter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cogsmitter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cogsmitter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cogsmitter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cogsmitter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cogsmitter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cogsmitter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cogsmitter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cogsmitter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cogsmitter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by borcic0 View Post
    Hey so first off id like to say my diet is not too bad. I only eat carbs before and after i workout and nothing else. My protein is throughout the whole day though i lack it before i workout. So in the morning i have a cup of uncooked oatmeal. Since i am not working out until around 1, does this basically convert to fat? And the same goes for dinner, which i eat is usual around 5, if i were to have alot of rice, does most of that convert to fat since it isnt being used? I actually try to avoid fruit, but i tend to eat it before i workout.

Can someone please tell me if this is alright? I am on a bulk and yes i've gotten more strength, size but have gained some excess fat and i beleive it is due to this excess carbs that i eat during the day
    Hey there,

Well, first off we might need some more information on your diet such as your maintenance caloric intake. You can use the calculator to find that here. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa64.htm

Second we might need a list of the meals that you are eating throughout the day and the total caloric value of the meals for the day including the Protein/Carbs/Fats

Also get a round about figure of your BF% (Body Fat). Which I think by your height and weight that it is probably fairly low. But you can find that out here. http://www.healthcentral.com/cholest...3.html?ic=4004

My protein is throughout the whole day though i lack it before i workout.
    It is very important to get some protein in before a workout along with some complex carbs such as Oats. Although if you are eating say Chicken Brest/Fish something like that maybe an hour or so before working out, that is pretty much your Pre Workout meal. But a good substitute for that would be a Pre Workout Shake containing Whey Powder/Water and drink that 15 minutes Prior to the workout. Also include some complex carbs(Slow Digesting) for a good workout with enough energy to complete it.

So in the morning i have a cup of uncooked oatmeal. Since i am not working out until around 1, does this basically convert to fat?
    No, when your body is fasting overnight for the 8 hours sleeping your glycogen stores are pretty much depleted. So eating the Oats in the morning will replenish those stores before they are turned to fat.. So you are safe with eating Oats in the morning without the worry of fat gain. I would also suggest that you eat some Protein with your Oats in the morning such as 1-2 whole eggs and 3-4 egg whites. But if you are waking up at say 7 am I hope you are getting in at least one more meal in before workout at 1 pm.

And the same goes for dinner, which i eat is usual around 5, if i were to have alot of rice, does most of that convert to fat since it isnt being used?
    Well this is kind of a tricky question to answer. If you are working out at 1 pm I am assuming you are not eating until dinner at 5 pm. This may be a bad thing if you are trying to get some muscle gains going or keep from losing any muscle depending on the type of workout you are doing. But by the time you get done working out and eat dinner at 5 the protein synthesis has slowed down dramatically. And you may possibly be taking some glycogen from your muscles for energy because you have depleted your liver from it during your workout.. and that is bad. You again should be taking in another Protein Shake/Water with some simple carbs(Fast Digesting) such as a rice cake, this will create a fast insulin release in the blood and will rush the protein and glycogen into the muscle and extend the protein synthesis and slow down protein breakdown. That is why we have our Pre/PWO Shakes. The rice you are eating at 5 pm is most likely restoring your glycogen in your liver and in your muscles but you have possibly missed the window to prevent protein breakdown and lost some muscle. So it is important to get in those simple carbs PWO to prevent this from happening.

actually try to avoid fruit, but i tend to eat it before i workout.
    Fruit is kind of in a debate weather or not to eat it and when to eat it because of its fructose content. Yet fruit has very good and important anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals in them. You will need to find out the GI(Glycemic Index) of the fruit if you are eating it before/after a workout.
    You will want a fruit that has a LOW GI Pre-Workout and a High GI Fruit PWO such as Watermelon. But eat fruit because it is good for you.. most fruit is slow digesting and the fructose wont bother you all that much.

Like I said we will need your meal plan and macros on those meals to see if it is ok, and if you are on a bulk your carb intake will be pretty high.. around 400-500+ grams of carbs.

So get us that information and we will be able to further help you with your diet.
    Last edited by Cogsmitter; 07-13-2008 at 09:08 AM.

borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) borcic0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Wouldnt i want to cut down the amount of carbs to reduce the amount of body fat? Though i am on a bulk i eat around close to 40 grams of fat a day and im not sure if thats too much or too little, but i eat only around 250-300 carbs, will i see muscle gain at all!?

BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Carbs don't make you fat, protein doesn't make you fat, fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat. Your diet could be 100% carbs and as long as you don't eat over maintenance you will not gain weight.

Eat carbs pre AND post. You can even sip a carb-based shake during if you want. The workout window is one where carbs shouldn't be feared.