Thread: Sweet potatoes?

rockstar55 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rockstar55 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rockstar55 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rockstar55 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rockstar55 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rockstar55 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rockstar55 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rockstar55 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rockstar55 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rockstar55 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rockstar55 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Sweet potatoes?

Ive been using regular white potatoes as part of my cutting diet, but I would like to switch it up a bit, and I heard sweet potatoes are better for you. Anyone use them, and if so, how do you eat them? Any good recipes for sweet potatoes?

Bodybuilder For Life! Pure-Natural's Avatar
    Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pure-Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Swt. potatoes, yams are great sources of complex carbs preferred over white potatoes. I bake them & actually refrigerate & eat them cold. You can also "nuke" them. Keep it plain & simple; they have enough flavor. White potatoes are simple carbs- burn fast like white bread & white rice- can be taken post workout for a quick carb replenishment.
    "Failure is not an option!"

"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art."

"Every aspect of bodybuilding comes from hard work & dedication."

"The moment you stop striving for excellence is when you realize you have lost your momentum."

"This is our time!"

Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000)
    Here's a nice simple one:
    • Buy sweet potato (the orange ones are better IMO, though the white ones taste more like "regular" potatos, the orange ones taste more like winter squash)
    • Wash
    • Put in microwave for 10 min (less if it's a small one)
    • Slice open vertically
    • Put cottage cheese, and/or dd chives and pepper, or maple syrup if you like sweet dumpling squash w/ maple syrup, or kethcup if you like french fries, or peanut butter if you roll that way (not my personal favorite, but lots of people do that).
    • CONSUME!
    KARMA; reps for life:
    matthor-derickonfire-ozfiz-xquick-meyer23-AllGenetix, Beast, Scivation, Lando33
    girl81-2 D-spot skater-djaeger3-in10city-Emma-Leigh-bballbrett5, jaim91, imfusio
    Not on the list? Don't worry! There's still plenty of chances to achieve good karma.

longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=109002351

if cutting just split into smaller portions and store in fridge

Burn Bridges, Sink Ships fourskinsoi's Avatar
    fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use this recipe a lot. You might not like it since you're on a cut, but if you can fit the oil into your macros then it is well worth it.

1 large sweet potato
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 tbsp. hot sauce (I prefer Cholula Chili Garlic)
    1 tsp. cayenne (optional)
    1 tsp. salt

skin, wash and quarter the potato. Careful not to make the slices too thin as they will tend to burn in the oven. Add everything into a mixing bowl and stir. Put onto a cooking tray and place in the oven at 350-375 for 15 minutes. Pull out, move potatoes around to prevent burning/sticking, and place back in the oven for another 15 minutes. Very simple and delicious recipe.
    Last edited by fourskinsoi; 07-12-2008 at 11:08 PM.

the Hsp70 of BB.com TheWaffleIron's Avatar
    TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Pure-Natural View Post
    White potatoes are simple carbs- burn fast like white bread & white rice- can be taken post workout for a quick carb replenishment.
    the glycemic index is not significant. dont cut out a nutritious food like potatoes.
    Nutrition and Supp Science FAQ:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139153843&p=849049173&viewfull=1#post849049173

Skyles is a complete loser! (-2000) Skyles is a complete loser! (-2000) Skyles is a complete loser! (-2000) Skyles is a complete loser! (-2000) Skyles is a complete loser! (-2000) Skyles is a complete loser! (-2000) Skyles is a complete loser! (-2000) Skyles is a complete loser! (-2000) Skyles is a complete loser! (-2000) Skyles is a complete loser! (-2000) Skyles is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by fourskinsoi View Post
    I use this recipe a lot. You might not like it since you're on a cut, but if you can fit the oil into your macros then it is well worth it.

1 large sweet potato
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 tbsp. hot sauce (I prefer Cholula Chili Garlic)
    1 tsp. cayenne (optional)
    1 tsp. salt

skin, wash and quarter the potato. Careful not to make the slices too thin as they will tend to burn in the oven. Add everything into a mixing bowl and stir. Put onto a cooking tray and place in the oven at 350-375 for 15 minutes. Pull out, move potatoes around to prevent burning/sticking, and place back in the oven for another 15 minutes. Very simple and delicious recipe.
    Try this one, I use a similar recipe and they taste great, but I don't peel them.

mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you want regular potatoes again I'd recomend red as opposed to brown. They have better flavor and more vitamins. I can't stand sweet potatoes.

GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    my favorite carb source is sweet potatos... i can eat this and a 6oz peice of chicken as a meal daily.
    "Fear was what stood between a man and an extraordinary life, and the surest way through it was to stare it down over and over until that gaze became habit." - the Pat Tillman Story

gcool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    wash it, poke holes in it, microwave it, slice it open, put splenda, cinnamon, and fake spray butter, and mash it together. Tastes amazing.

JayPok has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JayPok has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JayPok has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JayPok has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JayPok has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JayPok has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JayPok has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JayPok has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JayPok has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JayPok has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JayPok has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by fourskinsoi View Post
    ...skin, wash and quarter the potato. ...
    Originally Posted by Skyles View Post
    ... I use a similar recipe... but I don't peel them.
    Yeah, I much prefer the skin left on. It provides a great texture and is a good source of fibre.

Anyway, not really a recipe, not really convinient - LoL - But, whenever I'm grilling myself a steak on the BBQ, I'll always cut a sweet potato into about 2-2.5cm slices, wrap them in paper towel (fit/stack as many slices in each paper towel as possible - generally four), nuke them for 2:00-2:30 minutes, then char them slightly on the BBQ (no oil needed). Simply divine.

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Another tip/trick:

- "over bake" (to a very soft consistency) a few sweet potatoes in the oven (or microwave) & leave them intact in their skins. Refrigerate. The next day when you are making a PWO shake simply open the skin & you have instant, 100% fresh, no additives sweet potato "puree" (akin to canned) to use.

Add a little nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, stevia, some vanilla extract and you have a sweet potato pie PWO shake.

Or mix it in a bowl with some FF yogurt & a vanilla protein powder with the same spices, put it in the freezer for about 45-60 minutes, top with some granola and you have crumb top sweet potato pie frozen yogurt.

Same thing but with some egg whites or Eggbeaters in a ramekin, add some leavening, bake at 350 and you have a sweet potato pie souffle that is very quilt free.
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"

Burn Bridges, Sink Ships fourskinsoi's Avatar
    fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fourskinsoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JayPok View Post
    Yeah, I much prefer the skin left on. It provides a great texture and is a good source of fibre.
    really? I'll have to try that. thanks

Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I usually hate baked sweet potatoes.
    so today i decided to make "sweet french fries", tasted damn good !

Is that bad though? i used canola oil to fry them .

RippedFibers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RippedFibers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RippedFibers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RippedFibers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RippedFibers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RippedFibers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RippedFibers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RippedFibers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RippedFibers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RippedFibers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RippedFibers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have some questions.

Is a sweet potato and a yam the same thing ?

How long does a sweet potato, or yam lol, take on a grill, when wrapped in foil?
    Pressuah- 'i bet your kitchen looks like a crack lab

[QUOTE=stevedarsh;454862701]one time my ex was peeing in a parking lot and she was f*cking spraying like a firehose and i was standing in front of her to block the view from traffic and it splattered all over my legs[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=RtodaAV;454863871]does she crush beer cans on her head also?[/QUOTE]

Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    they're not the same thing, but pretty much considered so in the US grocery stores as far as i've seen.

STEP YOUR FUNDS UP Neopragmatist's Avatar
    Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sweet potatoes are high in antioxidant beta carotene (vitamin A) and are also a good source of fiber, vitamin B-6, C, E, folate, and potassium. Plus, they are fat free and low calorie--one small sweet potato has just 55 calories. They are considered one of the healthiest foods around. A Superfood!

Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zero_fusion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nobody answered my question
    Does frying them ruin 'em or change the GI value ?

abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Zero_fusion View Post
    Nobody answered my question
    Does frying them ruin 'em or change the GI value ?
    If you like them as fries, why not try something like baking them or grilling them as sweet potato wedges drizzled with some EVOO and spices.

And frying probably doesn't "ruin them" but it probably does raise GI value as cooking potatoes does raise the GI in general. I wouldn't worry about that though because adding the fats in from the canola oil slows digestion simultaneously.
    eating out? a nutritional guide to popular restaurants and fast food!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2920231

the best ways to prepare your oatmeal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108636081