movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Filling out the obliques (and semi rant about genetics)

I've had it with my wide hips. They look completely ridiculous in proportion to the rest of my body. I'm genetically lucky in that I have naturally wide shoulders and clavicle bones, from the bottom of my neck to my navel my body looks ok, and fit, but it's totally ruined with my giant flaring hips. I look foolish when I try to tuck in my shirt and I'm very self conscious about it because the rest of my physique is OK when I have clothes on. I need lots of work to fill out my pecs still but I want to start integrating some oblique work into my routine to try and fill in my obliques so it can look a a bit more sharp.

My bone structure is very wide, so I look a bit chubby and blocky even at low BF.

I would like to try and fill out my obliques so my body looks more parallel.

I doubt I'll ever have a nice V shape since I don't have the genetics for it. I would have to pack on crazy amount of muscle to fill out my wide frame and I just don't think that's possible for me at my age (nearly 27) and without steroids. I had some bad habits when i was younger so I have semi low natural T levels for my age. No way around that except for steroids and they fall within the "normal range" so nobody will give me T shots.

Here, I've included a few pics to demonstrate my frustrations.

I look decent in my arms and upper shoulders. I don't have a ton of mass but I'm working on that still.

This pic isn't the best to demonstrate my trouble. They look smaller in this pic than they normally do (angle of the camera), but you can see how it totally ruins things for me.

From the side I look ok. I have a blocky bone structure so I'd look even blockier with bigger muscles.

totally sucks though. I train regularly and very hard, at that, and I really feel like I don't have much to be proud of at this point.

Anyone have any advice on how I could fill out my obliques quickly so that I can look a bit more sharp?
    Last edited by Partholon; 07-11-2008 at 11:36 PM.

BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Partholon View Post
    I've had it with my wide hips. They look completely ridiculous in proportion to the rest of my body. I'm genetically lucky in that I have naturally wide shoulders and clavicle bones, from the bottom of my neck to my navel my body looks ok, and fit, but it's totally ruined with my giant flaring hips. I look foolish when I try to tuck in my shirt and I'm very self conscious about it because the rest of my physique is OK when I have clothes on. I need lots of work to fill out my pecs still but I want to start integrating some oblique work into my routine to try and fill in my obliques so it can look a bit less deformed.

My bone structure is very wide, so I look a bit chubby and blocky even at low BF.

I doubt I'll ever have a nice V shape since I don't have the genetics for it. I would have to pack on crazy amount of muscle to fill out my wide frame and I just don't think that's possible for me at my age (nearly 27) and without steroids.

I look decent in my arms and upper shoulders. I don't have a ton of mass but I'm working on that still.

This pic isn't the best to demonstrate my trouble. They look smaller in this pic than they normally do (angle of the camera), but you can see how it totally ruins things for me.

From the side I look ok. I have a blocky bone structure so I'd look even blockier with bigger muscles.

This totally sucks though. I train regularly and very hard, at that, and I really feel like I don't have much to be proud of at this point.

Anyone have any advice on how I could fill out my obliques quickly so that I can look a bit more sharp?
    what are you talking about! your hips dont appesr wide..i hate to sound like broken record but bf% has alot to do with it..you realy do have youth on your side,im 40 and im a fat ass[compared to you] the obliques do frame the rectus so training them is good..there is alot of different thoughts on how to train them and what you can expect from that type of training...personaly when i train my abs i mainly do trunk flexon and spinal flexon...watching my calorie intake is what i do...i try to eat all the mac. and keep the proper % i think i might not be eating enough calories,its hard to eat enough!i have not weighed myself but i can feel a difference in clothing!...for 27 i think your right on track!!
    musclebuilding the way god intended it........naturally

movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10) movingforward is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I appreciate the advice and encouragement.

Anyone else have any advice?

2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    theres nothing worng with your hips. You just need to fill out your upper body more.

Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For effective ab and oblique exercises, check out this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=109120801

(scroll down a bit and view the images)

erutter11 is just really nice. (+1000) erutter11 is just really nice. (+1000) erutter11 is just really nice. (+1000) erutter11 is just really nice. (+1000) erutter11 is just really nice. (+1000) erutter11 is just really nice. (+1000) erutter11 is just really nice. (+1000) erutter11 is just really nice. (+1000) erutter11 is just really nice. (+1000) erutter11 is just really nice. (+1000) erutter11 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I appreciate the advice and encouragement.

Anyone else have any advice?
    I know its only one exercise, but during my ab workouts, I feel like one of the most effective exercises is the Oblique Bicycle Crunch.

It's hard to explain, but easy to grasp. Your left elbow goes to your right knee and right elbow to left knee. Between such movements, you extend your legs out and nearly to the floor, thus the bicycle description in the name.

I do them in 4x40, and really focus on making the extension and holding it at the top, then driving my legs near the floor. Gives them a good burn!
    Last edited by erutter11; 07-12-2008 at 08:13 PM.

2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2uantuM is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Obliques are only gonna make him seem wider at the waist. Not that there is anything wrong with that, really.

Well, my main problem, aside from the width, is that I have a lot of fat distribution around that area. I only weigh 170lbs right now (which I think is too low for my height). I keep feeling like I want to cut, rather than bulk, but I guess it's for the best, even with the fat in that area, to keep bulking. I'm skinny-fat, which is a difficult spot to be in. It seems like it's fairly easy for me to burn fat doing HIIT every other day but I'm having a difficult time trying to find a balance so I won't get too fat. My face is already fatter than I would like and I still don't have enough muscle to fill my frame.

SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im glad I found this thread as I was beginning to think I was the only guy to suffer from wide hips :P Ive always hated having bony hips and dispite low body fat and fairly good ab definition I still dont have enough oblique mass to pad out and give the \/ shape. Guess ill have to start trying all those exercises and see what happens. Cheers.

Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I've had it with my wide hips. They look completely ridiculous in proportion to the rest of my body. I'm genetically lucky in that I have naturally wide shoulders and clavicle bones, from the bottom of my neck to my navel my body looks ok, and fit, but it's totally ruined with my giant flaring hips. I look foolish when I try to tuck in my shirt and I'm very self conscious about it because the rest of my physique is OK when I have clothes on. I need lots of work to fill out my pecs still but I want to start integrating some oblique work into my routine to try and fill in my obliques so it can look a a bit more sharp.

I doubt I'll ever have a nice V shape since I don't have the genetics for it. I would have to pack on crazy amount of muscle to fill out my wide frame and I just don't think that's possible for me at my age (nearly 27) and without steroids. I had some bad habits when i was younger so I have semi low natural T levels for my age. No way around that except for steroids and they fall within the "normal range" so nobody will give me T shots.

totally sucks though. I train regularly and very hard, at that, and I really feel like I don't have much to be proud of at this point.

Hey man, I got the same problem mine were way worse(yours aren't that bad) but now i've found the key, side planks or bridges and you hold it for a minute and a half and thats one set and do three sets, then the second exercise is side stretches with dumbells, these really work and when done with weight can fill in the awkward grooves where you feel should be filled in so you don't look "pear shaped" in the middy sect.(not that you do).
    Hope this helps
    "I do it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't"

"Bigger than yesterday, smaller than tomorrow"

=Tank=

Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unit3Tank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Also, genetics concerning the mid section I believe is bs, thats what everyone who doesn't have the determination to fix their middy say. Keep going mate you'll get there.
    "I do it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't"

"Bigger than yesterday, smaller than tomorrow"

=Tank=

Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Sorry I don't have any physique advice for what seems to be troubling you, but I must warn you...be careful when you duel the Star Wars Kid as he has mad lightsaber skillz.

what do you mean by that?

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wtf am I reading here, dudes worried about wide hips? What, are you giving birth?
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

I don't like the indentation it makes when I'm nude/tuck in my shirt. Makes me look effeminate.

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lose the baby fat and you'll get the v-shape you desire.
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

So should I cut?

Eat clean, lift heavy, be patient and let your body do the rest.

delete this. Responding to zzgo's post but it's not even worth it.
    Last edited by Partholon; 07-13-2008 at 09:17 PM.

SwoleNation1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by movingforward View Post
    delete this. Responding to zzgo's post but it's not even worth it.
    I noticed it's been a while since you posted anything on this. Were you ever able to find anything to help? I'm pretty much in the same boat. 6'2 170ish lbs 11%bf wide shoulders, skinny waist, but have wide hips. I am going to start incorporating obliques into my workouts but that's all I can think of.