sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Any of you get adrenal stress when you are doing heavy lifts?

For some reason when I do heavy squats, no matter how many times I do them, I get scared as hell when I do them. A culmination of adrenal stress builds up in my body. It adversely affects my lifting, I might get 1-2 shorter reps than expected.

Anyone else get this? How do you manage it?
    A hit was sent, from the President, to raid your residence /
    Because you had secret evidence, and documents /
    On how they raped the continents, and it's the prominent /
    Dominant Islamic, Asiatic Black Hebrew

- GZA "4th Chamber"

Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Some studies have found taking multi-vitamins, or just vitamin C tablets works well for dealing with adrenal stress. Sames goes for just generally eating a clean diet. Protein consumption is also important.

Also, sleep is really important in terms of adrenal stress. Your body is running on a clock, your circadian rhythm accounts for adrenal stress.

Specifically in terms of lifting heavy weights, important factors like breathing correctly are significant. As for heavy squats, you should be squatting in a squat rack for safety... If I can ask, what is it exactly that scares you?

sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Phil2008 View Post

Specifically in terms of lifting heavy weights, important factors like breathing correctly are significant. As for heavy squats, you should be squatting in a squat rack for safety... If I can ask, what is it exactly that scares you?
    No friggin clue. I feel sometimes like I am going to kill myself with the weight or something lol.

I do proper form and my best 1RM has been 395 but that is one of the lifts that totally scares the crap out of me for some reason. I've even dropped the weight before so the fear should be gone right? Wrong.

It isn't all the time I squat though, but it does come sometimes. It hit hard today. I went for 335, ended up doing 2 reps instead of 4.

- GZA "4th Chamber"

Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Could be the fact that your body is telling you that you cant lift another rep. The best way to know when you cant lift, is an internal signal sent by your body saying that you cant. You percieve it as, "nope cant lift this next one".

IF it is the weight, try lowering the weight a bit, and seeing if the results differ.

Originally Posted by Phil2008 View Post
    Could be the fact that your body is telling you that you cant lift another rep. The best way to know when you cant lift, is an internal signal sent by your body saying that you cant. You percieve it as, "nope cant lift this next one".

IF it is the weight, try lowering the weight a bit, and seeing if the results differ.
    No it just stresses me the hell out thinking I'm going to fail for some reason.

I KNOW I can do it, you know?

- GZA "4th Chamber"

Originally Posted by sword_ View Post
    No it just stresses me the hell out thinking I'm going to fail for some reason.

I KNOW I can do it, you know?
    OH right, got ya... Yeah, I know what you mean... Like you know you can do lift the weight, but the amount of weight still freaks ya out a bit... Yeah I get that too sometimes, mostly with deadlifts though...

Im not too certain on what can be done about that, I just tough it out and do what I can.

mjohnell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjohnell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjohnell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjohnell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjohnell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjohnell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjohnell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjohnell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjohnell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjohnell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjohnell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you pyramid up? I know if I just get under a weight I can only handle 3-5 reps from the get go it feels freakin heavy, but if I pyramid up it doesn't feel much heavier then the last set.

Iverson7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iverson7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iverson7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iverson7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iverson7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iverson7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iverson7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iverson7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iverson7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also try an ipod with your most psyche up songs on it.

v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000)
    I managed to drop the bar on squats pretty early on, it was one of my first days and I rounded out at the bottom, lost my balance and rolled over backwards crashing the bar hard as hell. Ever since then I have had a LOT less fear, I just get amped and ready to push the bar. Even if the standard crap pop **** is playing at Gold's.

rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I try lifting heavier than what I've been lifting normally, I find that I sweat more profusely. There is a certain 'fear' that I feel - mostly, since I've had two hernias, it's a fear that this next lift could cause another one.

But that anxiety also helps my concentration. In turn, my level of satisfaction seems to increase (as does my sense of relief if I manage to avoid injury).

So then, occasionally challenging myself to lift heavier actually makes my workouts somewhat safer, I think, because I'm really focused.

Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

I think the OP could benefit from some "physicallized visualization" exercises.

Get someplace without distractions for 5-10 minutes.
    Stand "powerful" and blast in/out several deep breaths, slowly letting the last lungful out over several seconds before resuming normal breathing.
    Mentally picture yourself in front of a crowd (naked, if that's your bag, baby)then repping out several personal bests.
    REALLY get that thought and feel in your mind, and link it to the "power stance" you are physically in and the way you just breathed.

Before your next real lift, "assume the position" and do the same breath routine, and --if you've consciously done your visualization exercises for a while-- BAM, you will find yourself mentally and physically ready to lift intensely.

And for all you kiddies thinking that visualization is some New Age Yoga BS....go ahead and laugh, but do realize that it can psych one up 1000% better than yer loud, generic metal music!

Now get off my lawn!

tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by sword_ View Post
    For some reason when I do heavy squats, no matter how many times I do them, I get scared as hell when I do them. A culmination of adrenal stress builds up in my body. It adversely affects my lifting, I might get 1-2 shorter reps than expected.

Anyone else get this? How do you manage it?
    The only time and the only lift I get like this is high reps squats. Knowing I am going to be hitting 20+ reps gives me that feeling.
    http://www.best-bodybuilding-routine.com