Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mindi911 View Post
    I think it's an excellent exercise however how much I don't know. I know one of the girls is a belly dancer. I'll try and remember their name and pm you so you can pm them.
    Are you referring to Zuebee? I'll ask her, if so. I know she likes belly dancing. Gee, I wonder if her ears are red, now. *^_^*

Thanks, Mindi!
    Back with my nose to the grindstone. Trying only fails when you stop. :)

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Komadori View Post
    Are you referring to Zuebee? I'll ask her, if so. I know she likes belly dancing. Gee, I wonder if her ears are red, now. *^_^*

Thanks, Mindi!
    It might be, I remember reading a thread in the Femm Misc (or at least I thought it was because I can't find it now) there was a girl who was asking or sharing this with us.

She seemed really enthusiastic about it.

I'm sure they probably are but it's all good stuff.
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

_VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi Mindi dear! As usual, my worldwide group of pals and I have been watching this thread and having great email chats re: diff. ab work. Quite honestly, the newest question re: belly dancer belly rolls is I believe the first one that has us scratching heads so far. Here's my pea brain thoughts... the exercise seems to hit the ab groups of the diaphragm, pelvic, and oblique groups (to use generic terms) but I am not sure what the total ratio of effort to effect result would be re:core/ab conditioning/strength. I'd really love a belly dancer or trainer who uses this exercise to weigh in on this.

At the very least, it appears to me that it would be a good exercise in helping to master muscle control, which is helpful for flexing, posing, whatever in helping to learn how to isolate certain groups.
    "None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by _VL View Post
    Hi Mindi dear! As usual, my worldwide group of pals and I have been watching this thread and having great email chats re: diff. ab work. Quite honestly, the newest question re: belly dancer belly rolls is I believe the first one that has us scratching heads so far. Here's my pea brain thoughts... the exercise seems to hit the ab groups of the diaphragm, pelvic, and oblique groups (to use generic terms) but I am not sure what the total ratio of effort to effect result would be re:core/ab conditioning/strength. I'd really love a belly dancer or trainer who uses this exercise to weigh in on this.

At the very least, it appears to me that it would be a good exercise in helping to master muscle control, which is helpful for flexing, posing, whatever in helping to learn how to isolate certain groups.
    Hey VL

Yeah this latest question had me scratching my head also, I've never been able to do a belly roll lol but it is an interesting question.

Loving your thoughts about it though.

I'm sure it would teach you how to master a lot of muscle control. I also think it would involve using all your ab muscles.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by _VL View Post

Looks like you're right on target. I found a website regarding the belly roll:
    http://www.shira.net/dear3-rolls.htm

Interesting read... though seeing a video of the belly roll as part of an exercise routine looks a lot more convoluted than the kind I do. I don't have to move my back at all to do it. In fact, I can roll my abs in a reclined position. So it might be some weird genetics put in (like being able to put your tongue into a 'u' shape), or perhaps to some it's a natural thing and others learn variations along the way? I too would love to see a belly dancing expert weigh in on this, as I'm just as curious as a bag-cat.

Hey VL

Yeah this latest question had me scratching my head also, I've never been able to do a belly roll lol but it is an interesting question.

Loving your thoughts about it though.

I'm sure it would teach you how to master a lot of muscle control. I also think it would involve using all your ab muscles.
    I think I'll do some sets, just to try it out, and I'll get back to you on how sore I am the next day. I overdid it yesterday, so I'm taking today off from weights. Going to do my bellydance dvd tonight.

xx

Thanks, girls! Owe ya reps!

Looks like you're right on target. I found a website regarding the belly roll:
    http://www.shira.net/dear3-rolls.htm

Interesting read... though seeing a video of the belly roll as part of an exercise routine looks a lot more convoluted than the kind I do. I don't have to move my back at all to do it. In fact, I can roll my abs in a reclined position. So it might be some weird genetics put in (like being able to put your tongue into a 'u' shape), or perhaps to some it's a natural thing and others learn variations along the way? I too would love to see a belly dancing expert weigh in on this, as I'm just as curious as a bag-cat.

I think I'll do some sets, just to try it out, and I'll get back to you on how sore I am the next day. I overdid it yesterday, so I'm taking today off from weights. Going to do my bellydance dvd tonight.

xx

Thanks, girls! Owe ya reps!
    Well definitely check the website out.

What did you do yesterday?

Cool can't wait to here your observations.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Well definitely check the website out.

What did you do yesterday?

Cool can't wait to here your observations.
    I did hams/calves yesterday morning, and then my workout class at night (which included step-squats, tricep squats(?), and leg lifts, amongst other body exercises and jogging in-between). I'm just going to have to move leg day to another day. I was near collapse by the end of the workout last night, and I've been pretty dang sore all day (enough to not go to the gym. ).

Home alone, too. Found out that a family friend is in the hospital. Parents are there now. I promised to make golabki (stuffed cabbage), so I'm waiting for it to finish. It'll probably be eaten tomorrow instead, considering the emergency tonight. I hope he's okay. They said he's awake, but he had collapsed and they're pretty sure it was a stroke.

I did hams/calves yesterday morning, and then my workout class at night (which included step-squats, tricep squats(?), and leg lifts, amongst other body exercises and jogging in-between). I'm just going to have to move leg day to another day. I was near collapse by the end of the workout last night, and I've been pretty dang sore all day (enough to not go to the gym. ).
    Good sounds like you are really pushing yourself.

I would try and do legs on a different day though.

So you mean tricep dips?

Home alone, too. Found out that a family friend is in the hospital. Parents are there now. I promised to make golabki (stuffed cabbage), so I'm waiting for it to finish. It'll probably be eaten tomorrow instead, considering the emergency tonight. I hope he's okay. They said he's awake, but he had collapsed and they're pretty sure it was a stroke.
    Sorry to hear about your family friend.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Thank you for making it a sticky much appreciated.
    Last edited by Mindi911; 11-13-2008 at 11:09 AM.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Woo, cool. It's a sticky now!

Good sounds like you are really pushing yourself.

I would try and do legs on a different day though.

So you mean tricep dips?

Sorry to hear about your family friend.
    I think I'm going to move to 4-day splits, though. Haven't quite gotten in the fifth day, each week that I've tried to train. There always seems to be one of the days where my body just tells me simply 'No.' Plus, now, I'm doing Sumo on Saturday, so I can't use Saturday as my backup day when that 'No' day happens. (The church gym stays open to 12 pm on Saturdays, and is closed on Sunday. Sumo practice starts at 10 am, and is on the other side of Atlanta. :/ )

So I combined a couple of split day routines, since I need tomorrow 'off' to prep for Saturday (going to do cardio tomorrow, instead). Included some ab work with crunches and added in the belly rolls.

I did 1 set of down movement rolls, 20 reps, then 1 set of upward rolls, 20 reps, then 1 set of up-down rolls, 20 reps. I really could feel the burn, and the hardest movement was focusing on upward rolls (starting from the lower abs) and having to go back to starting position for each new rep.

I'm not sure if I should try doing up-down each set, or do like I did today. I do think I'll add in another set, next time. Felt good to feel the burn there. Much more than even the weighted crunches (which did burn, too, just not as fully).

If I could describe what I do, it'd be simply put: I suck in my gut and push down. That's the easiest part of the movement. It's harder to describe how to roll up your belly... but it's prettymuch the opposite movement (and difficult to 'suck in' that part of your belly. It's an odd feeling.)

Re: tricep dip vs. tricep squat... No, it's not the dip.. I don't know why they called it a tricep squat. (Googled and didn't see anything matching...) It wasn't weighted... seemed like a normal squat to me, except you swing your arms in to clasp your hands to your chest, when you squat. Heck. I'd call that a SOLDIER squat... (remember Final Fantasy 7? LOL /geek)

I'll let you all know how sore I am in my middle tomorrow.

xx
    Last edited by Komadori; 11-13-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer about the tricep squat. *^_^*

Ok, the verdict? Not bad.

I don't have the DOMS in my abdoms. But they are sore if I try using them (i.e. roll them again) so I think it's a fair exercise. I'll experiment with them some more, change up how I do the routine to see what gets the best burn feeling, and let you know. ^^;

Hey Komadori

Awesome glad you had fun but we need to work on the DOMS

just kidding

you don't need DOMS to indicate it worked, although it's a good indication of working hard but I would doubt that something like belly dancing would do that.

I might be wrong though.

we need to get a belly dancer in here.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Rachella_24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rachella_24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rachella_24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rachella_24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rachella_24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rachella_24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rachella_24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rachella_24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rachella_24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rachella_24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rachella_24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the amazing post! I love working my abs and Im excited to get to use the exercises you have supplied!
    "The vision of a champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, and to the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching"

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    This is a really interesting thread, good set of movements and stuff. One thing, in regards to decline benches and stuff, while changing the angle generally makes it harder, it's probably good to specify for which part of the RoM. The more you elevate your lower body for the crunch/situp, the harder it makes it at the top. At the bottom though, I'm not sure but it might make it easier? When you're lying flat prone on a level floor, you're completely perpendicular to gravity so that should be the hardest. Basically, whenever you're parallel to the ground, that's the hardest part in the RoM. So hanging upside down, it would be hardest when you make an L, and with a flat situp, the hardest part is right at the bottom when you lift off the ground.

Just thought of another exercise for your abs and was wondering if anyone has tried them?

Windshield wipers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CBJRg_67Xc

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

davissh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In doing so many abs will it make your stomach appear as if you have a belly.

Originally Posted by davissh View Post
    In doing so many abs will it make your stomach appear as if you have a belly.
    you what?

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

nessbrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Awesome!!

Thank you sooooo much for posting that!! I wanted some ab ideas to hit all areas without aggravating my back injury and there are some great choices there!!!

One thing though..... All the gyms I go to in Australia (I travel a fair bit, so I have been to quiet a few!) seem to have removed the decline bench.... I asked around a few gyms and the common answer for it seems to be that there were a ton of people were using it for decline bench, without a spot, and dropping the barbells on their faces... so OH&S laws strike again.... and stupidity.

So, no decline bench sit ups (soooo not happy as I love using it for roman twists!! Even though I can't do twisting movements for a while anyway.)

Has that happened anywhere else??? Or does anyone have other explanations?

Originally Posted by nessbrown View Post
    Thank you sooooo much for posting that!! I wanted some ab ideas to hit all areas without aggravating my back injury and there are some great choices there!!!

One thing though..... All the gyms I go to in Australia (I travel a fair bit, so I have been to quiet a few!) seem to have removed the decline bench.... I asked around a few gyms and the common answer for it seems to be that there were a ton of people were using it for decline bench, without a spot, and dropping the barbells on their faces... so OH&S laws strike again.... and stupidity.

So, no decline bench sit ups (soooo not happy as I love using it for roman twists!! Even though I can't do twisting movements for a while anyway.)

Has that happened anywhere else??? Or does anyone have other explanations?
    I've never heard of a gym having taking away all the decline benches. Are you looking for something you use in it's place?

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

nessbrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've never heard of a gym having taking away all the decline benches. Are you looking for something you use in it's place?
    I have been thinking through ideas, tried one which worked horribly (hanging the wrong way on the back extension bench..... nothing else seems to be appropriate.

But yeah, its weird that only the gyms I've been to have removed the benches!! LOL

liang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great thread! Although I can't stop looking past the first guys ginormous EVERYTHING to get the exercise.

marybrooks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

This looks awesome - I will definitely try it!!!
    Mary

Pass The Refridgerator kudostojen's Avatar
    kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000)
    i've been looking for some tips on how to work my abs a little harder.

Great post. Thanks

"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."
    Ivan Turgenev

If You Can't Stand Behind Our Troops, Feel Free To Stand in Front of Them ..

Location: Stuck In The Suburbs, Sacramento, California, United States Virgin Islands
    CollegeMisc is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CollegeMisc is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CollegeMisc is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CollegeMisc is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CollegeMisc is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CollegeMisc is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CollegeMisc is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CollegeMisc is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CollegeMisc is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CollegeMisc is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CollegeMisc is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    win thread

fitopia is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitopia is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitopia is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitopia is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitopia is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitopia is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitopia is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitopia is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitopia is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitopia is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitopia is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Great sticky!! Thanks.
    My transformation log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115239961

pre-exhausted leg press PR - 3x12x390

TennisGeek is just really nice. (+1000) TennisGeek is just really nice. (+1000) TennisGeek is just really nice. (+1000) TennisGeek is just really nice. (+1000) TennisGeek is just really nice. (+1000) TennisGeek is just really nice. (+1000) TennisGeek is just really nice. (+1000) TennisGeek is just really nice. (+1000) TennisGeek is just really nice. (+1000) TennisGeek is just really nice. (+1000) TennisGeek is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are truly committed to building you best midsection ever, then you can't rely on just the basic crunch. You will need a three-pronged attack that devotes equal time to each portion of the abdominal musculature; the upper area, lower area and obliques, which lie on either side, with a variety of effective exercises.

Start your training off right or break out of your workout rut with the help of the comprehensive booklet of the best ab exercises. It's divided into four sections, allowing you to focus your efforts on one area of the abdominals at a time or train more than one area simultaneously with combination exercises.

Each move listed within a section has a scale of difficulty that signifies whether it's best for beginners, intermediates or advanced trainees; some are good choices for than one ability level.

Beginners should choose the easier options first; once you can complete 15 to 20 reps with good form, advance to a more difficult exercise.

Make sure you train each area of your abdominals in your workout, switching which area you start each time. If you are new to the gym or abdominal training then begin with one set for each area; upper, lower and obliques. Intermediates can perform 2 to 3 sets of one exercise each for the three different areas; advanced lifters might do 2 to 3 sets of two exercises for each area.

oh wow...thanks!

Shadix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great workouts.
    Thanks for posting

sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Big thanks and little reps.

Is the abs13... file missing?

Originally Posted by sni2pal View Post
    Big thanks and little reps.

Is the abs13... file missing?
    which one?

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The files go abs1 through abs28, but there is no abs13. Just wondering.