Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500)

Incline or flat dumbbell press?

I just changed my workout from doing ~240 pushups to ~240 dumbbell presses. The heaviest weights I currently own are 45s so I'm doing 12 sets with 20 reps/set. So my question is, which is more beneficial, incline or flat dumbbell presses?

skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Both. However, doing 12 sets of 20 reps is useless unless you are specifically going for endurance only. And even then, 12 sets of one exercise? Why?
    If that's all the weight you have and can't get more, I'd suggest flys.

Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by skarotum View Post
    Both. However, doing 12 sets of 20 reps is useless unless you are specifically going for endurance only. And even then 12 sets of one exercise? Why?
    If that's all the weight you have and can't get more, I'd suggest flys.
    I'm giving pushups a rest and I am experimenting with other chest exercises. I am open to suggestions.

My resistance machine has bench pressing straps, should I be doing both?

skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What are your goals? What is your schedule like? What exercises do you do?

Seriously, doing tons of sets with tons of reps won't build any muscle. Any gains you could have gotten from that are already expended.

Originally Posted by skarotum View Post
    What are your goals? What is your schedule like? What exercises do you do?

Seriously, doing tons of sets with tons of reps won't build any muscle. Any gains you could have gotten from that are already expended.
    For the past couple months I have been doing just pushups, and have seen good muscle gains.

My current goal is to build muscle. The chest/back workout I was doing up until now is:

-------------------
    standard pushups
    resistance lateral pulldowns (with hand straps instead of bar)
    military pushups
    resistance lateral pulldowns
    wide fly pushups
    resistance lateral pulldowns

decline pushups
    resistance back flies
    diamond pushups
    resistance back flies
    dive bomber pushups
    resistance back flies

*Then everything repeated
    ------------------

I'll probably be checking out some workouts posted on these forums, but if anyone has some good ones they can refer me to, I would appreciate it.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kevin376 View Post
    I just changed my workout from doing ~240 pushups to ~240 dumbbell presses. The heaviest weights I currently own are 45s so I'm doing 12 sets with 20 reps/set. So my question is, which is more beneficial, incline or flat dumbbell presses?
    Why not do 6 incline, and 6 flat?
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.