Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Low carb and exercise hmmmmmm........

FYI ..............

Effect of Low-Carbohydrate-Ketogenic Diet on Metabolic and Hormonal Responses to Graded Exercise in Men

Reference:
    Langfort, J., Pilis, W., Zarzeczny, R., et al., "Effect of Low-Carbohydrate-Ketogenic Diet on Metabolic and Hormonal Responses to Graded Exercise in Men," Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, 47(2), 1996, pages 361-371.

Summary:
    This study evaluated the effect a ketogenic diet had on the exercise capacity of eight healthy men. Subjects were placed in either a mixed diet group or a ketogenic group. The ketogenic diet consisted of 50% of calories derived from fat, 45% from protein and 5% from carbohydrate. After three days on the diet, subjects performed an exercise test in which they worked out at varying intensities. In comparison to subjects on the mixed diet, those on the ketogenic diet displayed increased maximal oxygen consumption (the amount of oxygen taken in by the lungs per minute, which is an excellent predictor of overall fitness). Moreover, the ketogenic subjects showed a decreased respiratory exchange ratio, meaning more fat was burned for energy. Finally, the ketogenic group showed a shift in the lactate threshold toward higher exercise loads. When the amount of lactate in the blood reaches a certain level at a certain intensity, performance is impaired; this point occurred after a longer duration of time at a higher intensity level of exercise. Blood lactic acid levels before and after exercise as well as blood pH were also lower. The ketogenic diet also lowered insulin concentration. The authors concluded that a short-term ketogenic diet does not impair, but in fact increases, aerobic exercise capacity, as indicated by an elevated maximal oxygen consumption and elevated lactate threshold.

Commentary:
    Carbohydrate controlled nutrition can improve athletic performance.

Any thoughts...............

blatopilot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds about right to me......I have a very hard time with extended workouts while in ketosis. I have to keep them short and intense, but they are better work-outs than on a carb based diet. I feel calm, and focused, I never thought about the "oxygen consumption" part, I'll have to pay attention to that next time.

I love how official studies trail what many already know, we just need validation!
    Fear less, hope more;
    Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more;
    Hate less, love more;
    And all good things are yours.

MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50) MushMouth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Interesting. Check this one out
    http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/3/345

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by MushMouth
    Interesting. Check this one out
    http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/3/345
    Excellent MushMouth

Even though this somewhat shows the other side of the tape, I think it's a great reference and much can be learned from it.

After reading that, it explains how and why my 40/35/25 or 40/40/20 macronutrient ratio's I follow during most of the summer have served me quite well. Especially in the endurance and performance areas of my activity and training.

This is the type of discussion I'm trying to start. A multi facited look at the issue raised. I know much of this has been debated in the past, but we could all learn from a rehashing of this issue and others like it.

PEACE

dekka213 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dekka213 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dekka213 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dekka213 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dekka213 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dekka213 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dekka213 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dekka213 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dekka213 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dekka213 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dekka213 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

keto

sounds like much of the info cited has been researched before and espoused by the likes of low carb advocate rob faigin..author of....natural hormonal enhancement.....in using his macronutrient cycling plan....low carb, protein adequate, fat adequate.....ive noticed a definite increase in my lactate threshold as well as aerobic and anaerobic capacity......while preparing my partner for the copa brazillian jiujitsu tourney as well as caged combat...our super intense grappling/striking sessions seem to have yielded greater adaptation to the elevated stress.........we do protein 1.5gr per lb of lbm....carbs <50gr.......fat..usually greater than 80grams..and closer too 100/120grams....one of our partners recently fought a carlson gracie jiujitsu black belt..marcus venecius....at caged combat....he smoked him on conditioning...and he's been low carbing in for about 8 months......only problem weve faced thus far is bulking on low carbs....it seems the energy requirements for mixed martial arts training plus mass gain would be quite high.....any recomendations on specific low carb bulking protocol......macronutrient ratios ,etc.....would be welcomed....

I would recommend pretty standard keto ratio's of.....

55-60/35-40/5-10
    Fat/protein/carbs

Protein intake being a minimum or .8 grams per lb and does not need to exceed 1.5 grams per lb IMO. (1 gr per lb as a rule of thumb)

For the type of training you mention, I would also recommend that that person really experiment with how many High GI carbs he or she can take in their PW shake with out losing ketosis. Take in as much as possible IMO, but make sure a solid keto is maintained.

Also a mid week carb-up (1 meal, all carbs, like pasta) works wonders for many.

PEACE

bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Chi_town
    For the type of training you mention, I would also recommend that that person really experiment with how many High GI carbs he or she can take in their PW shake with out losing ketosis. Take in as much as possible IMO, but make sure a solid keto is maintained.
    Great point Chi. I am experimenting with how many grams of dextrose I can take with whey PW, right now. Again, great point and I think everyone on keto should do this.

pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Chi_town
    I would recommend pretty standard keto ratio's of.....

55-60/35-40/5-10
    Fat/protein/carbs

woah, this is per meal?

bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No, daily ratios.