snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Debating an issue

I'm sitting here right now listenting to the girl that sits behind me talk to somebody on the phone about some diet that she's doing. She's a good kid, I've worked with her for a couple years, and we're buddies.

I'm debating whether or not I should give her some tips on nutrition. One of the things I heard her talking about was reducing fats. Really feel Like I should tell her that she wants more fats then carbs, as they burn better then carbs for energy.

I hate to offer unsolicited advice, though.

RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I will be blunt. What makes you think you know what you are talking about in regards to nutrition?

Don't offer advice if you have not been asked.

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Trust me, she wont listen anywhey.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
    I will be blunt. What makes you think you know what you are talking about in regards to nutrition?

Don't offer advice if you have not been asked.
    well, considering what I've been able to do this year, coupled with all I've read and learned, I think I have a good foundation. I do a LOT of research before I add anything to my routines. To be blunt in response, what makes you think I DON'T know what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post

you're right, which is what will keep me from doing it.

RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    well, considering what I've been able to do this year, coupled with all I've read and learned, I think I have a good foundation. I do a LOT of research before I add anything to my routines. To be blunt in response, what makes you think I DON'T know what I'm talking about.

Exactly my point. That is probably what the lady will be thinking and responding to you.

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I generally don't give advice unless asked.

Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
    That is probably what the lady will be thinking and responding to you.
    Not that I'm going to...but for the sake of argument...

I've worked with this girl for over 2 years. She knows what kind of transformation I've made, and we talk about nutrition on a somewhat frequent basis. Plus, we're pretty tight. It wouldn't be the same thing as approaching a total stranger and offering advice.

But, like I said...I'm not going to.

greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Yes...offer wisdom which is knowledge with experience.

I think it is difficult to offer wisdom to anyone. Whether they listen or not is up to them. Offer what you have and let it go after that. You did your part.
    I think educating everyone or at least presenting "new ideas" is paramount to any change in behavior whether they listen or not.

Just beware..."Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds" Albert Einstein

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not that I'm going to...but for the sake of argument...

I've worked with this girl for over 2 years. She knows what kind of transformation I've made, and we talk about nutrition on a somewhat frequent basis. Plus, we're pretty tight. It wouldn't be the same thing as approaching a total stranger and offering advice.

But, like I said...I'm not going to.
    If you know her that well offer your opinion. Don't preach, don't debate, just offer her your opinion on what worked so well for you. Then it's up to her to take your advise or not. It's not like your offering this advise to a total stranger, and like you said she has seen your transformation so that should at least make her think.
    I'm a sad little man

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post

Lifter's slip ^ ?
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Originally Posted by dbx View Post

Lifter's slip ^ ?

nice catch there hoss!

Omaha101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Omaha101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Omaha101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Omaha101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Omaha101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Omaha101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Omaha101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Omaha101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Omaha101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Omaha101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Omaha101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    To be blunt in response, what makes you think I DON'T know what I'm talking about.
    I found myself in a similar situation over the weekend (see the "horrible cleansing program" thread).

My answer was that in my current state of fitness, I am not a good ambassador for ANY diet/exercise program. I've learned a lot over the last month or so, and my own transformation is beginning to be noticed, but that does not mean that I am going to be perceived as credible by others.

At least not yet.

My opinion is that at some point, by virtue of the example I have set, I will become an ambassador for fitness. If people elect to seek my advice, I will gladly provide it. But I think you have to earn the right to do that, and I'm just not there yet.

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd wait to be asked.

JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've helped several people I know make some real changes with just basic advice - not heavy lifting and packing on loads of muscle like we do, just improving their overal health you know? I usually wait for them to get on to topic

"I'm a bit fat these days" or
    "You're in good shape - wish I could do that"

something along those lines and then rather offering advice there and then I say something like "If you'd like me to show you a few things that might help, let me know"

Leave it at that - if they are truly interested in your views they'll come to you and that's also a good indication that they are likely to follow something through.

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Ok the day is over and we hav not heard anything from you as of late...

So did you say anything. Tell the truth.

I have gots to know.

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) slackdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm sitting here right now listenting to the girl that sits behind me talk to somebody on the phone about some diet that she's doing. She's a good kid, I've worked with her for a couple years, and we're buddies.

I'm debating whether or not I should give her some tips on nutrition. One of the things I heard her talking about was reducing fats. Really feel Like I should tell her that she wants more fats then carbs, as they burn better then carbs for energy.

I hate to offer unsolicited advice, though.

I guess I need an education. I try to get around 30% of good fats in my diet but where did you get the info that fats were better for energy than carbs?

I've done quite a few endurance type events, 100 mile cycling rides and ran a couple half marathons and I have never seen anyone forgo carbs for fats. Pasta is the number one meal for Tour De France riders. Bagels and bananas are the usual foods I see at the longer runs.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What she does may work for her. What you do may work for you.

Don't offer anything counter to her ideas until it comes up in conversation, and only say what works FOR YOU, not WHAT IS RIGHT.

When she complains that her way is failing in some way or another, there's your "in" to perhaps offer her some of your knowledge.
    Time To Re-Schedule