goldylocs37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goldylocs37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking for answers!

Hello:

I am new to this site but definitely not new to diet, nutrition, and exercise. I am not a body builder but am looking for weight loss (12-20 lbs.), muscle definition, and getting a better shape and I do attend weight classes quite frequently.

I have done a lot of research and am somewhat confused on protein intake. Some of the information on the Internet sites indicate 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and others talk about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. This could really make a difference in my protein intake when I'm interested in losing. The plan I have been following (obtained from M&F & BB.com) for the last eight days, is 20 grams of whey preworkout, then 40-60 grams of whey postworkout along with 40 grams or so of fast-digesting carbs. I forgot to mention the other 20 grams of protein and fast-digesting carbs suggested upon waking first thing in the morning. I have been trying to maintain 1600 calories and eating five to six meals daily. I find it very difficult to maintain 1600 calories following this plan. And what if I work out twice daily on occasion? Does that mean I follow the protein pre & post w/carbs then too? That will not all fit within 1600 daily calories. I don't think I would lose any weight; I would be weigh/whey over(lol)!

I have been following this program for the last eight days; however, I don't want to waste my time only to gain. And I certainly don't want to be following tips for a 180 lb. man (which I'm not). I have been consuming about 150-175 grams of protein daily for eight days (while keeping a log), that includes the whey shakes; keeping my carbs down, trying to follow 50/30/20 or 40/40/20. I have never tracked protein before (but I have everything else), so I thought I would try this.

I am 5'6 and weigh 142. My workout schedule basically consists of the following. Let me clarify that the cardio is very sweat intensive and the weights are as heavy as I can do while maintaining proper form:

Monday: Step class (1 hr.); weights, full body (1 hr.) - (back to back)
    Tuesday: Weights (1 hr.), full body;
    Wednesday: Step (6:00 a.m. - 1 hr.); Step (4:30 p.m. - 1 hr.)
    Thurday: Weights, full body, (1 hr.)
    Saturday: Step (a.m - 1 hr.); Weights, full body, (a.m. - 1 hr.) - back to back
    Sunday: Weights, full body - 1 hr.

Sorry for all the history, but I am new to the protein thing and any and all input and direction is appreciated. BTW, I think this is a good web site with great information!

britonarius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) britonarius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) britonarius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) britonarius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) britonarius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) britonarius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) britonarius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) britonarius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) britonarius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) britonarius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) britonarius has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The protein is too much - 1 gram per lean mass body weight is the usual formula. I can't see the body fat mass index - i am presuming that [ no offence ] it is around 20% or more. At a weight of 142 - that is around 28lbs or more. We need to subtract this from the weight - so max. protein is around 114 grams daily.
    With the second daily workout - i personally would not follow the pre and post protein work out plan on the second occasion. The 40/40/20 split is more suitable - you don't mention if you have any weight loss or body shape change during the 8 days of this.
    Within the realms of reason - nothing is impossible.
    IMMORTALITY IS A STATE OF MIND
    Like the Mighty Welsh Dragon that fortifies my blood - SURRENDER IS NOT AN OPTION.

Viperpwr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viperpwr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viperpwr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viperpwr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viperpwr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viperpwr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viperpwr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viperpwr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viperpwr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viperpwr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viperpwr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When it comes to weight loss, dont let the scale fool you. As you build strength you will build muscle on your body. It weighs more than fat. The more muscle you have on your body the quicker your body will burn the fat off. Let your clothes tell the story. As your pants get looser you know your on track.

I think your protein intake is fine as long as its lean protein. I never got fat off off too much protein. Make sure your hydrating.............water water water. Your body will not burn off fat if your not drinking enough water. No meals late at night either.

Good luck, and keep up the good work.
    Universal products at the moment....

FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by goldylocs37 View Post
    Hello:

I am new to this site but definitely not new to diet, nutrition, and exercise. I am not a body builder but am looking for weight loss (12-20 lbs.), muscle definition, and getting a better shape and I do attend weight classes quite frequently.

I have done a lot of research and am somewhat confused on protein intake. Some of the information on the Internet sites indicate 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and others talk about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. This could really make a difference in my protein intake when I'm interested in losing. The plan I have been following (obtained from M&F & BB.com) for the last eight days, is 20 grams of whey preworkout, then 40-60 grams of whey postworkout along with 40 grams or so of fast-digesting carbs. I forgot to mention the other 20 grams of protein and fast-digesting carbs suggested upon waking first thing in the morning. I have been trying to maintain 1600 calories and eating five to six meals daily. I find it very difficult to maintain 1600 calories following this plan. And what if I work out twice daily on occasion? Does that mean I follow the protein pre & post w/carbs then too? That will not all fit within 1600 daily calories. I don't think I would lose any weight; I would be weigh/whey over(lol)!

I have been following this program for the last eight days; however, I don't want to waste my time only to gain. And I certainly don't want to be following tips for a 180 lb. man (which I'm not). I have been consuming about 150-175 grams of protein daily for eight days (while keeping a log), that includes the whey shakes; keeping my carbs down, trying to follow 50/30/20 or 40/40/20. I have never tracked protein before (but I have everything else), so I thought I would try this.

I am 5'6 and weigh 142. My workout schedule basically consists of the following. Let me clarify that the cardio is very sweat intensive and the weights are as heavy as I can do while maintaining proper form:

Monday: Step class (1 hr.); weights, full body (1 hr.) - (back to back)
    Tuesday: Weights (1 hr.), full body;
    Wednesday: Step (6:00 a.m. - 1 hr.); Step (4:30 p.m. - 1 hr.)
    Thurday: Weights, full body, (1 hr.)
    Saturday: Step (a.m - 1 hr.); Weights, full body, (a.m. - 1 hr.) - back to back
    Sunday: Weights, full body - 1 hr.

Sorry for all the history, but I am new to the protein thing and any and all input and direction is appreciated. BTW, I think this is a good web site with great information!

Designed specifically for women......

http://www.scivationbooks.com/12weeks.htm

greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Yup...

Originally Posted by Viperpwr View Post
    When it comes to weight loss, dont let the scale fool you. As you build strength you will build muscle on your body. It weighs more than fat. The more muscle you have on your body the quicker your body will burn the fat off. Let your clothes tell the story. As your pants get looser you know your on track.

I think your protein intake is fine as long as its lean protein. I never got fat off off too much protein. Make sure your hydrating.............water water water. Your body will not burn off fat if your not drinking enough water. No meals late at night either.

Good luck, and keep up the good work.
    What Viperpwr said and more. Forget the scale and add the tape measure and body fat calipers. The protein calc before that was the only "accurate" one I have seen mentioned before. 1 gram or protein per pound of muscle in your body(now you see why it takes time to body build without steroids.) It is all about keeping the bioavailability of protein at saturation levels without pecipitating it to change into fat after it has been broken apart. Hydration is important especially with any protein supplementation. However, I would disagree with No night time meals. If you are sore or lifted weights that day take a protein supplement that is mostly casein so it will be slowly digested overnight. Repair happens while you sleep. Having the protein available for "repairs" is paramount. See why naps during the day work wonders?