Sluggeaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sluggeaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sluggeaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sluggeaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sluggeaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sluggeaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sluggeaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sluggeaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sluggeaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sluggeaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sluggeaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Should I modify a proven routine?

I know the usual answer is absolutely not. I wouldn't recommend it either, but here's my particular situation.

after 6 months of the body for life routine and diet, then 1 year on the Max-OT program.. with satisfactory results on both, I have, over the last few months found stagnation with Max-OT, and have searched for a new routine.

I've researched numerous programs in the "workout programs" section, then went to the journals section in numerous forums, including this one, and picked out the guys who look the most like how I want to look.. The most frequent one I found was the Madcow/Starr 5x5 program, and today was the first day of my new program (filling a journal in as well on this forum, journal secton).

My arms.. bi's tri's and forarms have always been by and far the hardest darn areas to make any progress on, and this new routine works them a fair bit less than the Max/OT program did.. I absolutely don't want to loose what little i've gained on my arms. So, should I go ahead and modify it now, and add in some of the exercises that have been working for me, or stick to the proven method? The 5x5 program is already a pretty aggressive program with squats 3x a week instead of my old 1x a week, and after the first day of it.. whew, it was one hell of a workout!
    "the greatest part of an adventure isn't being at the destination, it's the journey to get there."

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I'd give the 5x5 a fair shot, as written. The beauty of Starr's program is that it's ready-made. Just plug in your lifting stats, and you're on your way.
    I wouldn't change it; it's worked for countless trainees in the past, and will do so for countless more in the future.
    Stay with it for 6-8 weeks; you won't shrink in that time, even if the program was no good. As you've already found out after one session, it ain't for the weak of heart. Good luck.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So now you've experienced the Golden Rule of Bodybuilding: Everything works & nothing works forever.

There are dozens of routines written by dozens of qualified people out there. My personal perspective on the subject is that you can make any routine work. It isn't the exercise or the organization of a routine that builds muscle. It's something that comes from within yourself that makes you go the extra yard. Hit one more rep. Add another 10 lbs. to the bar. Be consistent. You make it happen! So how do we keep this game enjoyable over a life time and continue to improve? This is my take. I found the aspects I like, the one's I don't and experiment with everything in between. I don't like performing high reps (15+). I feel I perform best in the 6-8 catagory. I don't like extreme volume because I lose concentration ability after 75 minutes of lifting. So on and so forth. I wound up loving and using to death the training method called "Abbreviated Training Methods" by Stuart McRoberts. He is the author of several books such as Brawn & Beyond Brawn. He also publishes "Hardgainer". After the 1993 Mr. O and seeing Dorian Yates, I read Heavyduty by Mentzer. Then I incorporated the heavyduty methods to my abbreviated training style. I found not the reason I lift, but how I like best to lift. One suggestion I have for you is to limit your future routines to six weeks for awhile and do some experimenting. As long as you are giving 100% to every workout, you have nothing to lose. New routines / experiments seem to bring out the freshness in us. We're ready to attack and conquer a new goal. And learn from it!
    Wish you the best
    oldfart

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Never modify anything that works well!

That's why we're still using sun dials and cap-and-ball muskets.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoscoPico will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No.

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Sluggeaux View Post
    I know the usual answer is absolutely not. I wouldn't recommend it either, but here's my particular situation.

after 6 months of the body for life routine and diet, then 1 year on the Max-OT program.. with satisfactory results on both, I have, over the last few months found stagnation with Max-OT, and have searched for a new routine.

I've researched numerous programs in the "workout programs" section, then went to the journals section in numerous forums, including this one, and picked out the guys who look the most like how I want to look.. The most frequent one I found was the Madcow/Starr 5x5 program, and today was the first day of my new program (filling a journal in as well on this forum, journal secton).

My arms.. bi's tri's and forarms have always been by and far the hardest darn areas to make any progress on, and this new routine works them a fair bit less than the Max/OT program did.. I absolutely don't want to loose what little i've gained on my arms. So, should I go ahead and modify it now, and add in some of the exercises that have been working for me, or stick to the proven method? The 5x5 program is already a pretty aggressive program with squats 3x a week instead of my old 1x a week, and after the first day of it.. whew, it was one hell of a workout!
    I'd only consider changing it up if you plateau or otherwise get to a point where you don't feel that you're making consistent gains.

greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Maybe

As all have said before me. Use what works until it doesn't work then move on. The 5x5 has never failed to give me week to week gains. The 4x10 has never failed to provide pump. But others have not found that to be true. What works for you is like clothing; may fit/work for others like you but there are others still it just won't help.