gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unusual shoulder pain with chest workout (not posted before)

Hi all,

I'm having some difficulty when I do chest work outs. Whenever i bench press my, shoulders (in particular the front middle of the shoulder, it feels where the joint interlocks with the arm) get really painful and I must bail halfway through the reps.

This has only happened once before, and my PT advised me to have 2 weeks not doing chest workouts. I had two weeks off came back and although I could do the bench press the shoulder pain was still there. I then went to a physio he said there was nothing wrong, and just gave me some daily excercises to stretch the shoulder. Today the pain came back and I could not even bench press with weights, my PT had to take the weights off and we just trained with the bar.

I'm 20 years old, have never played contact sports, have never broken a bone in my body, and have no record of damage to the shoulder.

I did however, before this problem occured, take creatine (the Green Bulge). Now it has finished and I have had two weeks of no creatine. I have BSN No Explode at home and haven't taken it because my PT said that taking creatine when your body is not as developed is good to build muscle but can place strain on the joints of your bones. Is this true. Should I go back on the creatine?

If anyone could provide any insight or help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    gaz_ny

Please note: I only do chest workouts under the supervision of my PT, so my technique should be fine

headhuntr is on a distinguished road. (+10) headhuntr is on a distinguished road. (+10) headhuntr is on a distinguished road. (+10) headhuntr is on a distinguished road. (+10) headhuntr is on a distinguished road. (+10) headhuntr is on a distinguished road. (+10) headhuntr is on a distinguished road. (+10) headhuntr is on a distinguished road. (+10) headhuntr is on a distinguished road. (+10) headhuntr is on a distinguished road. (+10) headhuntr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Reading your post until the last line I would have suggested checking your form since that's where most people experience more of a shoulder workout during bench press than they should be. There are quite a few posts about this and a few articles on the website explaining proper bench press form. If you trust your PT and he knows what he's doing, then this shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure you're properly warming up before your lifts and maybe spend a little extra time stretching and warming up your shoulders than you usually would. Some parts on people are stiffer than others and require more attention. I have a couple of spots that I need to warm up and stretch quite a bit more than others.

As for the creating question, I'm not too sure about that. I've done quite a bit of research on creatine, but have not come accross such situations so far. Maybe post in the supplements or nutrition area and see what they have to say?

Good luck!

gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by headhuntr View Post
    Reading your post until the last line I would have suggested checking your form since that's where most people experience more of a shoulder workout during bench press than they should be. There are quite a few posts about this and a few articles on the website explaining proper bench press form. If you trust your PT and he knows what he's doing, then this shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure you're properly warming up before your lifts and maybe spend a little extra time stretching and warming up your shoulders than you usually would. Some parts on people are stiffer than others and require more attention. I have a couple of spots that I need to warm up and stretch quite a bit more than others.

As for the creating question, I'm not too sure about that. I've done quite a bit of research on creatine, but have not come accross such situations so far. Maybe post in the supplements or nutrition area and see what they have to say?

Good luck!
    Thanks for your help.

After further research it appears that I am having a rotator cuff issue. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff) On the wikipedia link, there are excercises that are the exact ones that my physio taught me to do. Does anyone know how long it would take to do these excercises and for my rotator cuff to become normal?