Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How much weight should I be lifting? (want to lose weight)

Hey, I am 5'10 and weigh about 235lbs. I want to lose weight, but not lose muscle mass. I heard doing 8-12 reps before complete fatigue of a type of exercise is good for losing weight, but just wanted other opinions.

Thanks

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Danzig747 View Post
    Hey, I am 5'10 and weigh about 235lbs. I want to lose weight, but not lose muscle mass. I heard doing 8-12 reps before complete fatigue of a type of exercise is good for losing weight, but just wanted other opinions.

Thanks
    Some stories simply die hard. If heavy training gives you the best growth results, it will also help retain muscle while dieting. Switching to "high reps" (define it) for the sake of it will probably result in some muscle loss.

So if you get results from heavy training, stick with it but with more intensity techniques. And let your diet and cardio take care of the body fat for the most part. But don't be afraid to include some higher rep work in order to stimulate and activate other muscle fibers and adaption mechanisms.

Nevertheless, the best is partially based on what type muscle fiber you are dominant in. Lower reps and short rest periods lead to elevated EPOC and aid in muscle retention. Higher reps AND high intensity techniques coupled with short rest periods lead to elevated exercised-induced GH release and EPOC ...

The different rep ranges and rest periods attack different muscle fiber types which if used together leads to better anaerobic & aerobic conditioning (including mitochondrial development and muscle enzyme increases, etc...), muscle retention and an increase in overall 24 energy expenditure.

Some other considerations... http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1499282 & http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danzig747 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I forgot to say I also powerwalk 3 miles everyday and every other day I lift weights.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I forgot to say I also powerwalk 3 miles everyday and every other day I lift weights.
    Doesn't change a thing.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Jeez, why didnt you say so...... In that case I would do no less that 542 reps per set.

lol smart ass

d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_shropshire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lol smart ass
    LOL. Im just messin with ya brother.

haha I know, I dont know why I posted that, maybe I am a post whore in the making

unsoberx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unsoberx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unsoberx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unsoberx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unsoberx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unsoberx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unsoberx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unsoberx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unsoberx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unsoberx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unsoberx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hello, indeed do heavy lifting even if you are starving on an empty stomach. I am dieting to lose weight, and i train heavy i lift between 2 reps (my heaviest) and 10 reps in most of my sets.

unsoberx

Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    Some stories simply die hard. If heavy training gives you the best growth results, it will also help retain muscle while dieting. Switching to "high reps" (define it) for the sake of it will probably result in some muscle loss.

So if you get results from heavy training, stick with it but with more intensity techniques. And let your diet and cardio take care of the body fat for the most part. But don't be afraid to include some higher rep work in order to stimulate and activate other muscle fibers and adaption mechanisms.

Nevertheless, the best is partially based on what type muscle fiber you are dominant in. Lower reps and short rest periods lead to elevated EPOC and aid in muscle retention. Higher reps AND high intensity techniques coupled with short rest periods lead to elevated exercised-induced GH release and EPOC ...

The different rep ranges and rest periods attack different muscle fiber types which if used together leads to better anaerobic & aerobic conditioning (including mitochondrial development and muscle enzyme increases, etc...), muscle retention and an increase in overall 24 energy expenditure.

Some other considerations... http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1499282 & http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539
    "It is nature that sets off in one class those who are chiefly intellectual, in another those who are marked by muscular strength and temperament, and in a third those who are distinguished in neither one way or the other, but show only mediocrity. The last-named represents the great majority." -The Antichrist, Sect 57

Bosatsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bosatsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    Switching to "high reps" (define it) for the sake of it will probably result in some muscle loss.

So if you get results from heavy training, stick with it but with more intensity techniques.
    I totally agree. You can't expect to keep your muscle if you don't workout to some degree of intensity as you did before.

kinged854 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kinged854 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kinged854 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kinged854 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kinged854 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kinged854 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kinged854 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kinged854 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kinged854 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kinged854 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kinged854 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    bump

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kinged854 View Post
    bump
    bump what? Get off you duff and just do it. Stop over-analyzing and trying to micromanage every little thing.

Bossdjay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bossdjay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bossdjay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bossdjay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bossdjay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bossdjay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bossdjay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bossdjay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bossdjay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bossdjay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bossdjay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Here's an idea that I'm trying out

do 1 week of all low rep HIGH intesity lifting..shooting for 4 or 5 reps max.

week 2 is 8 rep max

week 3 is 16 rep max

week 4 is back to 4 or 5

I'll be starting my first 16 rep week today. Can't wait till next week though. This seems like a good way to
    a)keep your muscles guessing and
    b)Hit different muscle fibers for different biological results.