charlesviper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm Fit -- and I'd Like to Start Working Out

This summer I'm working out for the first time. I can lift quite a lot, I've been getting a lot of exercise all my life, and I love sports. I'm 17, 6'3", 167lb, and I never realized that almost every guy at school worked out [guys I could easily beat up, outrun, outlift, etc]. Maybe it's just my pride, but I've decided to start working out.

I'm on the "scrawny" side, I have a very high metabolism, and I'm more of a "runner" than a "lifter".

Anyway.

I'm not planning on getting crazy fit or anything, but I'd like a DAILY routine that will help -- not hurt. I know lifting weights or going crazy every day will hurt your body rather than help it, but my goal is NOT to get jacked "over summer". It's more of a lifestyle change, I'm aware of the dangers of extreme exercise.

I'd like to hear from you guys if this would be a good daily exercise.

1) A 3KM daily run or two.
    2) Fifteen minutes of jump roping a day.
    3) Around fifty to a hundred pushups.
    4) Around two hundred crunches.
    5) 20lb x 20 reps, flys and presses

---

My weekpoints are my pectorals and pullups. Would these five things, every day, give me a leaner body? Or would I see a bigger advantage doing it every other day? Are there any other exercises that would benefit this program?

I have a lot of free time every day [I chose not to get a job this summer], and I would like to devote an hour or two every day to exercise.

. . .

Eating. I'm a good cook, and I get a fair amount of protein -- probably about 70 grams from the meals I cook / my parents cook. In addition to this, I'll eat a power bar "Protein Plus" before and after running, for a total of ~120 grams of protein a day. I also get a good dose of carbohydrates, fat, fiber, etc -- a well rounded diet. I drink three or four Vitamin Waters a day, SOLELY FOR THE TASTE, and about a liter of tap water a day on top of that.

---

If I could focus on two things this summer, it'd be Vertical Leap and Pectoral Muscles. Should I stop cardio exercise like running or jump roping to realize these goals? Or can I do both and still get good results?
    Last edited by charlesviper; 07-04-2008 at 03:14 PM.

jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jermag27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Read this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2281631

When you have a question, search the forum first. Chances are, someone had already answered it. You are right about the lifestyle change, but the biggest mistake "beginners" make is designing their own workouts without any experience in what works. Good luck to you, but please use this forum to educate yourself.

IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jermag27 View Post
    Read this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2281631

When you have a question, search the forum first. Chances are, someone had already answered it. You are right about the lifestyle change, but the biggest mistake "beginners" make is designing their own workouts without any experience in what works. Good luck to you, but please use this forum to educate yourself.
    Solid advice.

OP: Specifically, read this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Then read the one that jermag posted, it will probably answer a lot of your questions.

So your main goals are vertical jump, chest mass and pullup numbers. This is good, you should never just "work out"- quantifiable and measurable goals are the key to good progress. Simple answers:

1. Vertical Jump: You need to strength train your lower body (running is not strength training!)
    2. Chest mass: You need to strength train pressing exercises.
    3. Pullups: You need to do pullups (how simple is that?)

Starting Strength (the routine supplied in the link) will accomplish these goals and a lot more.

The main issue you'll probably have as a skinny guy is eating enough calories; but you say you're a cook, that's definitely a good thing . 1st step is to drop the Vitamin Water, believe it or not it's no better than soda! If you're drinking for the taste, replace it with something like Propel or Crystal Light.

As far as calories go, the Nutrition forum will help with that.

There's some answers for starters, shoot away with any more you have.
    IG: @toadkillerdog

charlesviper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay, so running isn't strength training. If I'd still like to keep running every day, could I make running strength training some how? Running with two ten pound weights, etc? Or is running always going to be counter productive?

What about jump roping?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No.

Strength training usually involves doing a movement for between 1 and 15 repetititons. Think how many 'repetitions' are involved in running even a short distance. You would probably screw your joints too.

Running isn't counter productive, many BBers do a lot of cardio. It won't increase your squat tho...

shookers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shookers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shookers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shookers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You need to eat about double what you eat now. 120grams of protein is -nothing- especially only 70 from real food.

Aim for 4000 calories/day and do rippetoes. Running is almost worthless at achieving the goals you've set out.