gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calorie intake and burning fat - how does it work?

Hi All,

I've got a question about calorie burning. I'm a 21 yo old male with around a 1800 calorie a day diet. I go to the gym and burn at least 1000 calories every day.

My question is, is that 1800 calories going to be burnt by my body as it needs the energy in those calories, and then the 1000 calories I burn at the gym, will that burn fat?

Or do I need to burn at least 1800 calories at the gym before i start loosing weight?

Thanks in advance.

Location: Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No, to lose weight you need to use more calories than your body needs for maintance, not more calories than you take in. Everyones maintance is difference.
    - NOTICE: Not all posts represent my own opinion. I enjoy playing devil's advocate.

gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz_ny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DinoT1985 View Post
    No, to lose weight you need to use more calories than your body needs for maintance, not more calories than you take in. Everyones maintance is difference.
    So does that mean I need to burn at least 1800 calories at the gym?

forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    no, you burn calories outside the gym - sleeping, day to day operation etc.

research BMR and BMR caclulators

Originally Posted by forcasa View Post
    no, you burn calories outside the gym - sleeping, day to day operation etc.

research BMR and BMR caclulators
    Woohoo!

So I'm burning an extra 1000 calories of fat?

BiGGz28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiGGz28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiGGz28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiGGz28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiGGz28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiGGz28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiGGz28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiGGz28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiGGz28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bro
    you have 1000 cal workouts?

either you're lying or you're an animal
    thiago alves
    future champ

Location: Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gaz_ny View Post
    So does that mean I need to burn at least 1800 calories at the gym?
    No because thats more than calories you take in.

Example, lets say a 200lb guy's maintenance is 2500 calories. To lose weight, his total calories at the end of the day has to be say 2000. That includes diet and how much he burns off with cardio and just by living. Then, when he gets to say 180lbs, his maintenance of calories decreases, so he may now need to have 1600 calories a day to burn fat.
    - NOTICE: Not all posts represent my own opinion. I enjoy playing devil's advocate.

Originally Posted by BiGGz28 View Post
    bro
    you have 1000 cal workouts?

either you're lying or you're an animal
    I'm dead set. I spend around 2.5 hours at the gym each night doing cardio. People think I have anhorexia

Originally Posted by DinoT1985 View Post
    No because thats more than calories you take in.

Example, lets say a 200lb guy's maintenance is 2500 calories. To lose weight, his total calories at the end of the day has to be say 2000. That includes diet and how much he burns off with cardio and just by living. Then, when he gets to say 180lbs, his maintenance of calories decreases, so he may now need to have 1600 calories a day to burn fat.
    So further to my previous comment, that extra 1000 calories will be burning pure fat?

Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    People think I have anhorexia?
    and you want to lose more weight?
    **disclaimer** the above is only opinion. it contains no capitalization, too much punctuation and (most likely) includes spelling errors.

Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    People think I have anhorexia?
    double post
    **disclaimer** the above is only opinion. it contains no capitalization, too much punctuation and (most likely) includes spelling errors.

ballin085 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm dead set. I spend around 2.5 hours at the gym each night doing cardio. People think I have anhorexia

So further to my previous comment, that extra 1000 calories will be burning pure fat?
    In a perfect world, but some muscle will be burned for fuel as well

forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    not pure fat, combination of fat muscle and various other bodily functions.

aelephant is just really nice. (+1000) aelephant is just really nice. (+1000) aelephant is just really nice. (+1000) aelephant is just really nice. (+1000) aelephant is just really nice. (+1000) aelephant is just really nice. (+1000) aelephant is just really nice. (+1000) aelephant is just really nice. (+1000) aelephant is just really nice. (+1000) aelephant is just really nice. (+1000) aelephant is just really nice. (+1000)
    According to http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ 1800 calories is the bare minimum that ANY adult male should consume on a daily basis. You probably should eat a bit more than that if you are active and want to maintain any amount of muscle mass. I'm losing pretty consistently on 2500 calories with 250g of protein a day to maintain muscle.

Originally Posted by aelephant View Post
    According to http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ 1800 calories is the bare minimum that ANY adult male should consume on a daily basis. You probably should eat a bit more than that if you are active and want to maintain any amount of muscle mass. I'm losing pretty consistently on 2500 calories with 250g of protein a day to maintain muscle.
    i bulk on 2500 cals.

wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50)

You shouldn't work out more than 90 mins.

Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Bronkko View Post
    i bulk on 2500 cals.
    ...LOL, me too.

I'm sorry. :/
    KARMA; reps for life:
    matthor-derickonfire-ozfiz-xquick-meyer23-AllGenetix, Beast, Scivation, Lando33
    girl81-2 D-spot skater-djaeger3-in10city-Emma-Leigh-bballbrett5, jaim91, imfusio
    Not on the list? Don't worry! There's still plenty of chances to achieve good karma.

Originally Posted by Spottydog View Post
    ...LOL, me too.

I'm sorry. :/
    dont be. im glad thats all it takes. im cheap.
    Last edited by Bronkko; 07-04-2008 at 06:24 AM.

Originally Posted by wizi View Post
    You shouldn't work out more than 90 mins.
    Why is that?

wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50) wizi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why is that?
    I am sorry about this, i was reading the NASM book and they say that we shouldnt work out more than 90 minutes BUT it seems like i can't find this information in the book. Again, sorry for giving the information that i am not sure about.