skoolbus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question about Cardio Exercise and Keeping Muscle

Check it! I'm trying to cut some fat, about 10-15 lbs. I also have muscle, and I want it to show more. The question is this... I don't want to lose muscle from doing crazy cardio. Could you please post the heart rate you'd like to hit when running/biking and for how long you perform your cardio.

Thanks much!

Making Change Happen flywheel99's Avatar
    flywheel99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) flywheel99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) flywheel99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) flywheel99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) flywheel99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) flywheel99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) flywheel99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) flywheel99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) flywheel99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) flywheel99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) flywheel99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    not sure on my heart rate (my HR monitor has been on the fritz) but I've been doing a running/lifting plan the last couple years. i know, every says not to do this, but i enjoy both.

i have a ten miler coming up and a 1/2 marathon in sept. i lift 3-4 days per week.

skoolbus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Found it!

Thanks for the info flywheel.

After about an hour of Googlin' I found this out. You should never do cardio on the same days as weight training (unless lifting light). Reason? Because (from what I read) the blood will circulate elsewhere instead of straight to the muscle you just worked, since that muscle (or group) needs recovery. It is suggested to separate cardio and lifting days. They suggest 3 times a week, 20 minutes to burn fat, and going beyond that (burning glycogen) your body will attack you muscle. Not so sure about that statement.

Some crazy stuff I just read, Will Smith, for the movie I am Legend. He ran 5 miles a day for 6 days of the week, for many months. Then he did high-intensity lifting to keep his muscle tone. They didn't say how many hours he separated his work-outs, I'm guessing by a lot.
    But, that's from the internet, and I've read a lot of bogus ****.