newbieT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newbieT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dumbbell advice needed - Getting into Position

Im having trouble getting the dumbbells into position for my incline bench.

I'm doing sets of 5.
    Last workout, I did 85lbs, here's how I did it.
    1. Sat on the edge of the bench, dumbbells on my knees.
    2. "kick" the Right one up towards my shoulder, Kick the left one immediately after...As they are raising upward, I fall back onto the bench
    The momentum allows the dumbbells/elbows to get to "shoulder height", in other words, Im lying flat, my arms/elbows are out to the side, and the dumbbells are in the ready position.

But when I went to 90lbs, I couldn't get the dumbbells up.
    Here's what I tried:
    1. My technique described above, but when I kicked it up and fell backwards, my elbows basically didnt move much and ended up next to my side (so the dbs are around waist height), and I couldnt get the dbs/elbows up to shoulder height when I was flat on my back. Tried this twice then decided to get help.
    2. I asked someone to lift one dumbbell and hand it to me after I laid backwards.
    But as soon as I kicked the right dumbbell up and started to fall backwards, I almost fell off the bench, since I only had weight on one side! (90lb is over half my weight)
    So I tried holding one dumbbell with both hands and kick it up towards my head and then fall backwards, but as soon as I let go with my left hand, I started falling off the side of the bench again! lol.
    I gave up and went back down to the 85s.
    I dont understand why I can get the 85s into position, but can't even get close with the 90s.
    Maybe it was that day...I'm trying again on tuesday so...

Any ideas?
    Maybe ask 2 people to spot me? Each one holds a dumbbell next to me and I grab them when my arms are in the ready position?
    So any other technique I can try?

Thanks
    Last edited by newbieT; 06-29-2008 at 08:44 PM.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Practice kicking them together.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

d15bt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If i were you id just ask 2 people. Incline is hard to get the weights up to position and harder to get the first rep. I'd have no problem helping you!

Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Stand up and put the DB's in front of your knee's, then sit down with them on your knee's, kick both legs back at the same time keeping the DB's close together and resting on your chest.

eric717192 is a complete loser! (-2000) eric717192 is a complete loser! (-2000) eric717192 is a complete loser! (-2000) eric717192 is a complete loser! (-2000) eric717192 is a complete loser! (-2000) eric717192 is a complete loser! (-2000) eric717192 is a complete loser! (-2000) eric717192 is a complete loser! (-2000) eric717192 is a complete loser! (-2000) eric717192 is a complete loser! (-2000) eric717192 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I never seen anyone accually use any DB over 70lbs in person...

newbieT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newbieT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Practice kicking them together.
    Originally Posted by Who? View Post
    Stand up and put the DB's in front of your knee's, then sit down with them on your knee's, kick both legs back at the same time keeping the DB's close together and resting on your chest.
    Who? - the first part of what you say, is what I do. (in my example above, I started from when DBs are on my knees)

So Im kicking right, then immediately left...is kicking at the sametime really much better?

I'm not even getting the Right into the correct position, neither ends up in the right position.
    So Im not sure if the same time will work.
    I think I saw some workout video years ago where the person kicked back and extended his arms...once his arms were exteneded, THEN he rotated his hands to get his elbows up to the right position.
    Last edited by newbieT; 06-29-2008 at 10:12 PM.

bballer3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bballer3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bballer3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bballer3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bballer3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bballer3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bballer3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bballer3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bballer3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bballer3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bballer3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by eric717192 View Post
    I never seen anyone accually use any DB over 70lbs in person...
    lol. huh?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by newbieT View Post

So Im kicking right, then immediately left...is kicking at the sametime really much better?
    Yes, because with heavier weights it even the slightest uneven kick will throw you off balance.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I clean them from a standing position, then sit on the bench with them up against my chest. I'm a synergy and balance kind of guy, so I feel that if I can't clean the dumbbell, I shouldn't be pressing it.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

aquresh is on a distinguished road. (+10) aquresh is on a distinguished road. (+10) aquresh is on a distinguished road. (+10) aquresh is on a distinguished road. (+10) aquresh is on a distinguished road. (+10) aquresh is on a distinguished road. (+10) aquresh is on a distinguished road. (+10) aquresh is on a distinguished road. (+10) aquresh is on a distinguished road. (+10) aquresh is on a distinguished road. (+10) aquresh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When going heavy, I usually kick them up at the same time and have a spotter to support and push my elbows up for the first rep once in position...works out well for me.

gunmike1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gunmike1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gunmike1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gunmike1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gunmike1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gunmike1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gunmike1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gunmike1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gunmike1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gunmike1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gunmike1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For flat DB presses I sit on the bench, do a cheating half-hammer curl to get each dumbell onto my legs, then kick them both up at the same time while laying back. It works for me without problems. I am doing the 100's for 10 reps. If I was going any heavier (like I will soon) for lower reps I would probably deadlift the DB's off the floor and place them in front of my thighs before sitting on the bench, but I am able to do the half hammer curl up to my knees without incident with the 100's. Obviously as you go to weights that you can do for less reps it will get more unwieldy to get the weight into position.

LMAO at not seeing anyone go over 70 lbs. on the DB's, that is sad.

heywood24123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heywood24123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heywood24123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've noticed that when I can't get the dumbbells up for the first rep, I'm simply not strong enough yet at that weight. If I can't get it up, I go down a weight. Then the next week I'll try the higher weight and sometimes it goes up. I figure it's because I'm that much stronger. I've been steadily going up and up since I started lifting. Always trying to lift the most possible. That's the name of the game. If I fail one week, I just try it again the next.

Sure it's nice if you have two people to spot you, but I don't have that luxury at my gym. If i had a spotter, I'd probably doing barbell benches anyway.
    Maximum effort for maximum results.

Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000) Who? is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by newbieT View Post
    Who? - the first part of what you say, is what I do. (in my example above, I started from when DBs are on my knees)

I'm not even getting the Right into the correct position, neither ends up in the right position.
    So Im not sure if the same time will work.
    I think I saw some workout video years ago where the person kicked back and extended his arms...once his arms were exteneded, THEN he rotated his hands to get his elbows up to the right position.
    For me I just use the 'kick' to help with the momentum, I basically just roll onto my back keeping the DB's close to my body. Keep the DB's close together and near your body, grip them firmly, pull you shoulder blades back, and pull your elbows in.

Managed to do 5 reps with 90lbs dumbbells today.
    Ok, I admit, maybe it was 4 reps...the first rep makes use of the momentum from lying backwards, so maybe its a rep...maybe not.

Anyway, I did it slightly different (but slightly similiar) to how I normally do it.

Beginning is the same as I usually do it:
    Sit on the bench with the dumbbells on my knees
    Kick the right side up towards my right shoulder and then Immediately...
    but this time instead of also kicking up my left side...
    I use my left knee to LIFT ALL the way up as I lie back.
    Almost like I am trying to touch my left knee to my shoulder, thats how far I bring my left knee.

So instead of kicking the left side, I am using my knee (and my lying back momentum) to LIFT the left side up to position.

In the past when I 'kicked' the weight with my knee, my knee didn't go too much past my stomach level.
    But now with the "lift" on the left side, I end up with the knee near my chest.

I tried kicking it up at the same time with 25lb dbs, but it just felt weird.
    I'll see how this new technique works next week when I get up to 95s.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your working out with 90 lbs dumbbells, you should be strong enough to figure this out on your own.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can't wait till i'm using 90 pounds on incline and having to worry about this. lol, you're lucky.

wutdafukdidujusaytomeulib 1quick1's Avatar
    1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Set them on the edge of your knee and raise on the tip of your toes like you're going to do a calve raise. This helps you explode them up. The most I've done was 100's but I can get them up easier myself then with someone helping me and giving them to me one at a time.