Jaynandez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaynandez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaynandez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How can I get a Stronger GRIP?

I started using wrist straps on certain lifts and it really helps me get more wait up. But a buddy of mine says that using straps isn't going to make my grip any stronger. Can I make my grip stronger and what can I do? I like using the straps but are they helping my grip or hurting it?

Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had a problem with grip when I started doing deadlifts and I do not use straps or gloves, I am only doing 335 because I started about 4 months ago but I use heavy grips and they really do help. For me I do not want to use straps because all that is doing is putting a band aid on a weekness. I started with the 100's and now upto the 200's and I can tell they are helping.

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jaynandez View Post
    Can I make my grip stronger and what can I do?
    Deadlifts. Towel hangs. Plate squeezes. Farmers walks. Chins.
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Look up Captains of Crush on google.

Also try kettlebell swings and lifting with a fat bar.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't particularly train my grip strength, but I've opted not to use gloves or straps or even a mixed grip anymore on Deadlifts. I just use a raw, double-overhand grip and I was suprised at how much better my grip is now becomming. Obviously, there is a weight differential between strapped Deads and raw Deads, but my grip is getting better with the passing weeks. Right now, I alternate Squats and Deadlifts on Leg Day, so on the days that I don't do conventional Deadlifts, I will do raw, double-overhand RDL's. All this Deadlifting seems to be making my grip much stronger, so I think it's working out quite well for me.

Anyway, straps will not help your grip. But I've noticed after watching a few videos on how to use straps that they didn't wrap the straps on top of each layer, but rather wrapped them around the bar side by side. The first way (the way I did them), seems creates more space between the bar and my fingers getting around the bar. Basically, this is making the bar thicker (like a fat bar). By doing this, training with straps in that particular manner may have helped my grip strength as well.

But maybe everyone else that uses straps uses them the same way I did. If that's the case, then my increase in grip strength while using straps was simply accredited to linear progression on the Deadlift. Anyway, hope you figure out how to better your grip.

Mike

STEP YOUR FUNDS UP Neopragmatist's Avatar
    Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I personally believe that grip strength (forearms) is the center gravity of your arms (much like the abs). I have used Captains of Crush for almost 7 years and I have seen significant improvements in both grip strength (I can grip #2) and overall arm strength. I highly recommend CoC.

newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't let your grip compromise your deadlifts. Do your real heavy set with straps but try to go as heavy as you can without using them.

mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree that u should still use the straps to keep your deadlift high, however u should train grip strength and set the goal of getting rid of the straps. I highly recomend checking out ironmind\coc. also try this, when you do any curls or any dumbell workout use a thumb over grip. in other words don't wrap your thumb around the bar. same for deadlifts. your grip strength will go through the roof!!

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like you're talking about a hook grip. That's where you thumb is almost tucked against your palm on top of the bar. Is that what you had in mind?
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mojo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ya thats it i couldn't think of the name. thanks
    I agree with your fat bar idea to but if one isn't available try wrapping a towel around the bar and grab that
    Last edited by mojo18; 07-01-2008 at 12:17 PM.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are guys who won't pull 100kg(220lbs) without straps! Needless to say they have allowed their grip to stay very weak. So any strength they imagine they have from their pulls isn't worth a damn if they got into a tussle with even an ol' codger like me.

Another problem with straps is that people let the strap do all the work, and don't keep a really hard grip on the bar. So their wrist can be stretched under a heavy load. So they end up with overstretched ligaments in their wrists. This leaves the wrists very unstable and injury prone, say if they had to hit the heavy bag, or pull something heavy in the garden.

Real strongmen do use straps of course. They use them to spare their grip during a lot of events or lifts in the gym. They have already got insane grip strength, and have earned the right to use straps correctly.

If you have to use them, save them for the heaviest sets of pulls obviously.

If you want to do something about grip, besides doing all pulls strapless, check out

www.ironmind.com

They are a great resource for grip strength.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by liftingbuddy1 View Post
    Right now, I alternate Squats and Deadlifts on Leg Day, so on the days that I don't do conventional Deadlifts, I will do raw, double-overhand RDL's.
    I really hope you would not do your RDL's any other way.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    I really hope you would not do your RDL's any other way.
    Never. I couldn't imagine doing them with a mixed grip. Hmm...that statement that I made earlier does look like it could cause confusion.

Mike

Jaynandez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaynandez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaynandez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the feedback. Grip strength is definately something I need to work on.

Sports_Guy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sports_Guy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sports_Guy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sports_Guy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sports_Guy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sports_Guy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sports_Guy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sports_Guy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sports_Guy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sports_Guy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sports_Guy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I started using wrist straps on certain lifts and it really helps me get more wait up. But a buddy of mine says that using straps isn't going to make my grip any stronger. Can I make my grip stronger and what can I do? I like using the straps but are they helping my grip or hurting it?
    forearm curls, stuff liek that. also squeezing stuff like apples and semi hard fruits (no joke). a friend did this, and he has crazy grip.
    Phillies 08 NL leaders. LETS GET IT.

There is no try. You either do or you don't.
    -Me
    why yes, I rep back.

R.I.P. Bernie Mac

Started working out-10/26/08

produce has gotten way to expensive to be squeezing it my friend. Thanks for the advise though I appreciate it.

snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Ah grip training, my favorite pastime. As people mentioned CoC grippers, vise gripper if money is tight plus you get very gentle increments, good for progressive strength training. Also thick/fat bars 2", 2..5" and 3", for you upper body work, rows, presses, curls etc. Wrist rollers are unbeatable as well 2", 2.5" and 3", get 'em at www.fatbastardbarbell.com. Get a 50 or 60lb dumbell and cut the ends off, use block weights, toss them and catch them, clean, snatch and just plain hold them fot a count or till you can't no more. Block weights = hand strength as John Brookfield said, and it's true. Get a sledge hammer 6lb to begin with and do some levering, back, front, wrist turns and circles, tossing and catching etc. Lok into steel bending, but be careful it can end in injury, so start light and learn all you can about it. Training methods and tools are plentiful. Train all aspects of the grip strength, crushing, pinch, supporting, open hand, finger extensors, and wrist strength. To learn all you will ever need to know about grip training visit www.gripboard.com. Good luck! Cheers.

snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Here is the correct address www.fatbastardbarbellco.com. My bad.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. Heavy holds.
    2. Heavy hangs.
    3. Direct work.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Arrow

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Look up Captains of Crush on google.
    Better yet, go right to the source:

http://www.ironmind.com
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

spaun3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My favorite is the plate squeeze. I usually squeeze either 2 25lb plates or 3 10lb plates until failure.

Registered User dethmetalanimal's Avatar
    dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    here ya go....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson78.htm

FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500)
    It's called captains of crush.

Gaby12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How can I get a Stronger GRIP?

When using a gripper, it's not so much about how long you hold your squeeze than the positions you do them in. Try bending your wrist back for a set, then forward for a set. It's about hitting the muscles in your forearm. The stronger your forearms get, your grip will be greatly improved. Hope this helps you.

------------------------------------
    Eye Makeup, Eye Makeup Directory, Beauty Directory

FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500) FeeFieFoFum is not very helpful. (-500)
    Try doing a COC gripper with your forearm bent forward, you'll break your wrist.

Originally Posted by FeeFieFoFum View Post
    Try doing a COC gripper with your forearm bent forward, you'll break your wrist.
    Agreed. I don't think thats a good practice for anything at a #1 or higher.

Location: Ballin' In The Bullring, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    \J/ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) \J/ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) \J/ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) \J/ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) \J/ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) \J/ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) \J/ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) \J/ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) \J/ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) \J/ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) \J/ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ★☆★ Insured By The BMBC ★☆★

"When you're about to give up, remember why you started."

Smoke Shisha/Hookah? Join Here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123906341

erebusii will become famous soon enough. (+50) erebusii will become famous soon enough. (+50) erebusii will become famous soon enough. (+50) erebusii will become famous soon enough. (+50) erebusii will become famous soon enough. (+50) erebusii will become famous soon enough. (+50) erebusii will become famous soon enough. (+50) erebusii will become famous soon enough. (+50) erebusii will become famous soon enough. (+50) erebusii will become famous soon enough. (+50) erebusii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Deadlifts. Towel hangs. Plate squeezes. Farmers walks. Chins.
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    1. Heavy holds.
    2. Heavy hangs.
    3. Direct work.

I agree.

Something I noticed: Any pulling movement is going to work your grip because the weight wants to go the opposite way of your arm and fly out, as opposed to a pushing movement where the weight is conveniently tucked into the groove of the thumb. There may be some stimulus on a push movement, but I don't ever feel those in my forearms.

My suggestions:

*Double-overhand Deadlifts.
    *Farmer's Walk
    *Power Cleans (If you use a heavy enough weight and do it explosively, you'll feel it)
    *Seated Cable Rows (I find these good at heavy enough weight, sadly I can't do it with my home gym.)
    *Reverse Curl & Wrist Curl for direct work
    *Extended Deadlift sets (ie 20 rep sets, especially when lifted with PERFECT form and maximal acceleration, do this at a light weight. If you are really wanting to challenge your grip do this while have the bar wrapped with a towel or sponge.)