Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    CanadianFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CanadianFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CanadianFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CanadianFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CanadianFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CanadianFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CanadianFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CanadianFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CanadianFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CanadianFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CanadianFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I thought belts were for wimps and were unnecesarry til i was doing a 495lb set of shrugs and i bent back to far and heard some disturbing pops and cracks in my back followed by a sharp pain. I thought i had destroyed my back but the pain subsided 2 days later and all was normal, ever since, i wear a belt for any deads, squats or standing presses or rows to protect my spine. I generally wont use the belt for squats under 275 or deadlifts under 315, but it definately gives me the confidense to go heavy and i worry much less about my spine.

I didnt read this thread when i bought my belt and i just ordered the one they had at the gym as i found it to be very practical.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gl/harbelt.html

If find the velcro to be very convenient and the height gives good support. You just have to watch any make sure you arent filling the velcro with lint otherwise it will slip after a while.

PS, great post, cudos to OP.
    Last edited by Vancouver240; 11-10-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm certainly not an advocate for wearing 'belts' during every single exercise, at weights which are nowhere near maximal.

However, near-maximal, to maximal lifts (such as 1RM testing) definitely require belts. Specifically in the squat, which looks at maximal leg strength.

Though, in current literature, there's still debate as to whether weight belts really set out to achieve what common belief assumes they achieve. Some recent publications have noted that intra-abdominal pressure is not supreme using weight belts; where the placebo effect is more accurate (psychological improvement).

All interesting debate, though.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Nicolas_Hart View Post
    Though, in current literature, there's still debate as to whether weight belts really set out to achieve what common belief assumes they achieve. Some recent publications have noted that intra-abdominal pressure is not supreme using weight belts; where the placebo effect is more accurate (psychological improvement).

All interesting debate, though.
    Anyone who contends that the primary action through which belts operate is placebo has never worn one correctly.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    Anyone who contends that the primary action through which belts operate is placebo has never worn one correctly.
    The people who contend their legitimacy have done so through actually measuring intra-abdominal pressure.

Scientists use factual evidence, not opinionated conjecture.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The people who contend their legitimacy have done so through actually measuring intra-abdominal pressure.

Scientists use factual evidence, not opinionated conjecture.
    You mean like the measurements one might find in Science and Practice of Strength Training, by Zatsiorsky?

I see you are into exercise science... I am also a kines major and while there is definitely much to be said for scientific research I still care more about what happens under the bar than in the lab.

.Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Would this placebo effect involve increased ab soreness the day after I used a belt when my abs had not been sore for months?
    O-lifting log with vids of from every session:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=268870061#post268870061

^Need all the help I can get.

You mean like the measurements one might find in Science and Practice of Strength Training, by Zatsiorsky?

I see you are into exercise science... I am also a kines major and while there is definitely much to be said for scientific research I still care more about what happens under the bar than in the lab.
    It's one thing to place more importance on what happens under the bar, and another to completely neglect what happens in labs.

Regardless of whether the "measurements" you suggested support weight belts - the entire purpose of my post was to merely point out that others have determined other outcomes (or non-outcomes) from the use of weight belts through measuring its effectiveness.

I don't have a position on it either way. I still support weight belts use. So, I don't see a reason to create any argument here. The simple fact of the matter is, regardless of whether weight belts cause a placebo effect, or whether they actually provide a physiological advantage - both scenarios will help a lifter, lift more. So I support a weight belt in near maximal (or maximal) lifts.

It doesn't hurt to highlight the fact that it's still a contentious issue - which is all I was doing.

Iaskwhynot is just really nice. (+1000) Iaskwhynot is just really nice. (+1000) Iaskwhynot is just really nice. (+1000) Iaskwhynot is just really nice. (+1000) Iaskwhynot is just really nice. (+1000) Iaskwhynot is just really nice. (+1000) Iaskwhynot is just really nice. (+1000) Iaskwhynot is just really nice. (+1000) Iaskwhynot is just really nice. (+1000) Iaskwhynot is just really nice. (+1000) Iaskwhynot is just really nice. (+1000)
    The belts at my gym don't fit me becasue i have a small wasiet (26"). As far as sizes go, inzer would still be making belts that would fit me?

fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Iaskwhynot View Post
    The belts at my gym don't fit me becasue i have a small wasiet (26"). As far as sizes go, inzer would still be making belts that would fit me?
    YEP
    http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....LTS_BUCKLE10MM
    Me Squatting 405X5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tirPD1kKkuQ

This link might save your life.
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2009/SHR_Show_388.mp3

rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50)

belts

Great thread. Having used and not used belts for years, here's my take on it.

I used to be one of those guys that wore a belt for everything. Not needed, at all.

I have an Inzer belt (I don't remember which one) now. I use it ONLY on heavy squats or high pin pulls. I don't even wear it when doing regular deads.

My lower back was weak and that was my excuse for wearing a belt. After doing deads, my lower back is no longer weak and I don't "need" the belt.

As for the female poster about getting a 10mm belt - they are all uncomfortable, you just kind of have to get used to it. I'd start with the 10mm and see how it goes. The thicker ones obviously would be less flexible and more unforgiving.
    Squat 'til you puke.

47 years old
    325# bench
    665# squat
    700# deadlift

Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Viper504 View Post
    i think just as long as u go up in weight slowly you don't need a belt till you squat 315lb+ and deadlift 405lb+

my deadlift is at 455 and squat at 315 parallel and i never used a belt and dont plan to till i get 500+ dead and 400+squat then i might use one
    A belt, when used correctly and only at the right times can help your gains at ANY level of strength. IMO its foolish to never use a belt until u reach a certain strength level in a particular lift.

Using a belt sparingly and only when practical will help you reach that 500 dead and 400 squat faster than if you never used a belt, all without sacrificing core strength
    275lb atg front squat / 235lb paused bench (in comp) / 445lb Conventional Deadlift using mixed grip/chalk/belt (in comp) / Deadlift-425x3 using a hook grip + chalk / BP low-bar back squat 335x2 & 315x4 & 350x1 (in comp)

A tree with a thin trunk can only make branches so big -me

Won 1st place at my first powerlifting comp!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!1

Lifter4Life59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifter4Life59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifter4Life59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifter4Life59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifter4Life59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifter4Life59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifter4Life59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifter4Life59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifter4Life59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifter4Life59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifter4Life59 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the knowledge ive always followed on belts is to use them when the weight is heavy. this is a good post though and it really gave me some good insight to the use of belts, rep'd!
    "Trust yourself, break some rules, don't be afraid to fail, ignore the naysayers, work like hell, and always give something back" Arnold Schwarzenegger

Vegetarian, before you ask where I get my protein do some research

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wore a belt for the first time yesterday for Shrugs and barbell curls and I noticed a difference. I felt a lot more support.
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It was leg day I wore it loose but kept it tight on all my exercises felt much better.

my torso wouldn't twist. I can't believe I have never used one before.
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

Reflex Nutrition User cubicstorm's Avatar
    cubicstorm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well the only real downside to a belt is that it pointless using it if you have not first built up your core, if you use it before then and lift a bit too heavy you stand the chance of causing long term damage to yourself.
    REFLEX - Tomorrows Nutrition Today
    http://www.reflex-nutrition.co.za
    http://www.reflex-nutrition.co.uk

jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I use a belt for deads, squats, and overhead presses. It makes the difference on lower back pain the next day. A strong core is also very important in belt use also.

Originally Posted by jm1369 View Post
    I use a belt for deads, squats, and overhead presses. It makes the difference on lower back pain the next day. A strong core is also very important in belt use also.
    You've said something that strikes me as ironic.

"A strong core is also very important in belt use"

You say this after you mention a "difference on lower back pain the next day".

Can you not see that you're experiencing lower back pain due to a weakness in your lower back (and core), which you're attempting to facilitate / over compensate for by using the belt in the first instance, hence the "reduction" in pain?

Originally Posted by ExtremistPullup View Post
    I wore a belt for the first time yesterday for Shrugs and barbell curls and I noticed a difference. I felt a lot more support.
    This is a perfect example of when you don't need to use a belt.

Shrugs and Bicep Curls do not require belt usage.

The 'feeling' of 'more support' is merely a way of ensuring your core becomes less accountable for its actions (in this instance, statically stabilising).

jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jm1369 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You've said something that strikes me as ironic.

"A strong core is also very important in belt use"

You say this after you mention a "difference on lower back pain the next day".

Can you not see that you're experiencing lower back pain due to a weakness in your lower back (and core), which you're attempting to facilitate / over compensate for by using the belt in the first instance, hence the "reduction" in pain?
    I should have mentioned that I do have a weakness in my lower back. A bulging disc that was caused by improper form during squats in 1989. I keep up with core work. And back pain is significantly less when I am in a weight training program. When I get out of lifting, (lazy) back increases dramaticaly.
    Also use a belt during romanian deads and bent over bb rows, as recommended by personal trainers.

Originally Posted by jm1369 View Post
    I should have mentioned that I do have a weakness in my lower back. A bulging disc that was caused by improper form during squats in 1989
    Bulging discs are correctable. Have you not looked into having this corrected through non-surgical means first, or surgical means (if non-surgical measures are insufficient)?.

It's been almost twenty years now. It should've been corrected many moons ago, with any muscular imbalances corrected too.

nikhilnargotra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikhilnargotra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikhilnargotra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikhilnargotra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikhilnargotra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikhilnargotra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikhilnargotra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikhilnargotra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikhilnargotra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikhilnargotra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nikhilnargotra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Abdominal Hernia

Can Belts Prevent From Getting Abdominal Hernia ?

Bulging discs are correctable. Have you not looked into having this corrected through non-surgical means first, or surgical means (if non-surgical measures are insufficient)?.

It's been almost twenty years now. It should've been corrected many moons ago, with any muscular imbalances corrected too.
    Surgical procedures on the spine dont sound inviting since I hear too many horror stories of back surgury. I injured my back while in the service, and military doctors are, well, military doctors. I kept quiet about my injury.
    No, I have not looked into non-surgical means. I get the best relief by doing weight training and core strengthening.
    I do recognize the fact that someday I will be too old to lift and will likely have to look into some sort of corrective procedure.

phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whats the difference between the taper and the Normal? I have a 30 waist. How do I know if I need a taper or normal belt? Thanks

Originally Posted by phillie View Post
    Whats the difference between the taper and the Normal? I have a 30 waist. How do I know if I need a taper or normal belt? Thanks
    Tapered provides less support but allows more mobility. Olympic lifter seem to prefer them.

For general purposes I would get one that is the same width all the way around.

phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phillie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks. Just ordered my 10mm inzer. I checked out big 5, sports authority, and sears. No one had anything good so I rather spend the $50.00 extra and have something that last forever. Hopefully my waist size won't change much since I'll be close to the end notches.

Thanks. Just ordered my 10mm inzer. I checked out big 5, sports authority, and sears. No one had anything good so I rather spend the $50.00 extra and have something that last forever. Hopefully my waist size won't change much since I'll be close to the end notches.
    Did you get a small? Inzer forever belt, right?

Did you get a small? Inzer forever belt, right?
    I got the 28-32 buckle forever belt. Maybe i could get a leather puncher incase I need to make an extra hole.

I got the 28-32 buckle forever belt. Maybe i could get a leather puncher incase I need to make an extra hole.
    Yea, that's a small. You're fine.

I've got a bigger waist than you and I usually wear it between holes 2-4.

rad_rex is just really nice. (+1000) rad_rex is just really nice. (+1000) rad_rex is just really nice. (+1000) rad_rex is just really nice. (+1000) rad_rex is just really nice. (+1000) rad_rex is just really nice. (+1000) rad_rex is just really nice. (+1000) rad_rex is just really nice. (+1000) rad_rex is just really nice. (+1000) rad_rex is just really nice. (+1000) rad_rex is just really nice. (+1000)
    nik hart and kik repped for their respective opinions. Great thread!

Suppose to get my belt today. Just in time for leg day!