Salo171 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salo171 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salo171 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salo171 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salo171 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salo171 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salo171 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pavel Tsatsouline?

I have finished reading Pavel Tsatsouline's book "Power to the People", which describes russian/eastern european training methods. I am training for all around strength for the sport of wrestling and I want to know your opinions on his training methods.

He encourages basic lifts such as side press, bench, and variations of deadlifts while discouraging lifts such as anything that involves a machine, any isolation movements, and squats (he has his reasons. He has trained many olympic athlets of all sports, Spetznaz, and american special forces, and introduced the kettlebell to america,so I will trust him).

(The emphasis is for strength and athletic performance, not size or bodybuilding)
    If you havent read his book, in a nutshell it is basically:
    Do 2 sets of: deadlifts, sidepress or bench every session (6 a week for me)
    Max 5 reps per set
    first set go heavy, second do 90% of that weight for back-off
    never train to failure
    take plenty of rest time between sets

I just did the first session of his routine today.

I also plan to add clean and jerk and pullups to my routine.

Progress:
    height: 5'10"
    weight: 188 (I need to cut to 171 for wrestling but I have no problem doing that)
    Bench 1RM: 255
    Squat 1RM: appox 350
    Deadlift: 365x5
    Pullups: 6
    BF%: no idea but i can post pics if nessesary

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

bump

Originally Posted by Salo171 View Post
    I have finished reading Pavel Tsatsouline's book "Power to the People", which describes russian/eastern european training methods. I am training for all around strength for the sport of wrestling and I want to know your opinions on his training methods.

He encourages basic lifts such as side press, bench, and variations of deadlifts while discouraging lifts such as anything that involves a machine, any isolation movements, and squats (he has his reasons. He has trained many olympic athlets of all sports, Spetznaz, and american special forces, and introduced the kettlebell to america,so I will trust him).

(The emphasis is for strength and athletic performance, not size or bodybuilding)
    If you havent read his book, in a nutshell it is basically:
    Do 2 sets of: deadlifts, sidepress or bench every session (6 a week for me)
    Max 5 reps per set
    first set go heavy, second do 90% of that weight for back-off
    never train to failure
    take plenty of rest time between sets

I just did the first session of his routine today.

I also plan to add clean and jerk and pullups to my routine.

Progress:
    height: 5'10"
    weight: 188 (I need to cut to 171 for wrestling but I have no problem doing that)
    Bench 1RM: 255
    Squat 1RM: appox 350
    Deadlift: 365x5
    Pullups: 6
    BF%: no idea but i can post pics if nessesary
    How's it working or you ? any progress?
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?