JJMcKay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post-workout Steamroom/Cold Shower

What's the latest in science say?

Lately, I've been going to the steam room for about 5 minutes after my workout and then take a cold shower. I have read the cold showers or ice baths are good to do after training, but what about steam rooms, saunas, or jacuzzis for that matter? And in what order?

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but I remember a scene from that ESPN reality show "Knight School" where Bobby had the guys do both after a really intense day and one guy I think went too fast through one of the steps and cramped up real bad. So if anyone knows what post-workout extreme temperature routine is considered best for your body's recovery I'd be much obliged.

hatchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) hatchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) hatchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) hatchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) hatchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) hatchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) hatchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) hatchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) hatchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) hatchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) hatchi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    x2 I just started using the steam room and shower at my gym.

Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JJMcKay View Post

Lately, I've been going to the steam room for about 5 minutes after my workout and then take a cold shower. I have read the cold showers or ice baths are good to do after training, but what about steam rooms, saunas, or jacuzzis for that matter? And in what order?

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but I remember a scene from that ESPN reality show "Knight School" where Bobby had the guys do both after a really intense day and one guy I think went too fast through one of the steps and cramped up real bad. So if anyone knows what post-workout extreme temperature routine is considered best for your body's recovery I'd be much obliged.
    contrast showers (30 seconds hot/30 seconds cold) for 10 minutes are good for recovery.
    My own videos should go here.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JJMcKay View Post

There is some recent research coming out that indicates Glutamine combined with heat stress (i.e. sauna) attenuates oxidative stress and improves the rate of muscle regrowth following exercise via heat-shock protein overexpression (heat-shock protein overexpression may increase muscle mass through a decrease in oxidative stress and damage).

I wouldn't necessarily expect noticible results however.

Hot muscle growth
    Tim Scheett

You train consistently day in and day out in an effort to gain as much muscle mass as possible. If you're really serious about bodybuilding, you've probably tried every training program imaginable as well as every supplement on the market. But what if we told you that gaining more muscle mass may be as simple as exposing yourself to heat?

According to new research from Japan, heat exposure may be just the thing to push your muscle growth to the next level. Scientists from the St. Marianna University School of Medicine (Kawasaka) exposed rats to a heat chamber set at 105 degrees F for one hour every day for two weeks. They measured the weight of the rats' soleus (calf) muscles and their total bodyweight after the first seven days and again at the end of the 14-day experiment, then compared them to a control group that wasn't exposed to heat. The researchers discovered that after just seven days of exposure, the muscles of the heated rats were significantly heavier than those of the control group. Total bodyweights in the heat-exposed rats were also 5% heavier at the end of the two-week study.

Thermal Science

Scientists analyzed the rats' muscles to determine what may be responsible for the heat-induced muscle growth. Specific proteins called heat-shock proteins are released when the body is exposed to heat. These proteins appear to alter calcium levels in muscles, which signal another protein (calcineurin) to activate the processes of protein synthesis (growth) in muscle cells. The conclusion: Heat-shock proteins seem to cause the increased muscle growth. Researchers suggest that these results strongly indicate that heat exposure may be a potential technique for inciting muscle growth.

MUSCLE ON FIRE

To try optimizing muscle growth with heat exposure, consider using a sauna or hot tub. Health experts recommended that you limit your time in a sauna or hot tub to 20 minutes. You can also get the same effect from a hot bath. Be sure to use heat exposure only after you work out--never before.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.