schwarzenegger... ya dig? arnoldistheman's Avatar
    arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000)

Strained forearm tendon?

Hey everyone. Last week I must've overworked my forearm or something at work b/c i wound up straining the main tendon on my right forearm pretty bad. (I think). The weird thing is every time i move my wrist from left to right, the tendon or muscle kind of vibrates or stretches and u can feel it. Anyhow I was wondering if anyone has had anything similar or would have an idea of what could be wrong. Its been about a week and its still as bad if not worse than day 1. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi,

Can I ask a few questions to see if I can help?

- what were you doing at work that caused the initial strain
    - what did you do after you discovered you had strained it...ie rest, carry on as normal, etc
    - is the pain dull or sharp
    - does the pain shoot down your arm or is it in one area which you can pinpoint with 1 or 2 fingers

As for the vibrating...normally that's caused by muscle spasm. Rest is usually a good treatment as well as gentle stretching of the area.

Sorry I can't help any more at this point, but if you have any answers to the above questions I might be able to give some further advice.

Rebecca
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength"

arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000) arnoldistheman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by RebeccaTD View Post
    Hi,

Can I ask a few questions to see if I can help?

- what were you doing at work that caused the initial strain
    - what did you do after you discovered you had strained it...ie rest, carry on as normal, etc
    - is the pain dull or sharp
    - does the pain shoot down your arm or is it in one area which you can pinpoint with 1 or 2 fingers

As for the vibrating...normally that's caused by muscle spasm. Rest is usually a good treatment as well as gentle stretching of the area.

Sorry I can't help any more at this point, but if you have any answers to the above questions I might be able to give some further advice.

Rebecca
    Well lets see...
    I was getting rid of bushes using a sort of swing saw. I must've done 1000 swings by the end of the day. My forearms were completely dead from gripping the handle all day.
    After I hurt it i rested it for about 4 days, but on the 5th day i had more strenuous work at my job that required moving hundreds of 50lb bags. Once again...quite taxing on the forearms. So after that day it was just as bad as day one. Now 3 days after that its even worse.
    As for the pain its non-existent if i dont move my wrist or forearm, but as I grip things or rotate and move my wrist it hurts the tendon that runs down the top of your arm. Its in one area that is about 4 inches long. The vibrating is weird though. Thats what has me thinking its more than just a little pull. I'd compare it to the movie Rookie of the Year lol. I don't know if you've ever seen it. Its like the muscle or tendon is being over-stretched or like "creaking".

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the help

RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by arnoldistheman View Post
    Well lets see...
    I was getting rid of bushes using a sort of swing saw. I must've done 1000 swings by the end of the day. My forearms were completely dead from gripping the handle all day.
    After I hurt it i rested it for about 4 days, but on the 5th day i had more strenuous work at my job that required moving hundreds of 50lb bags. Once again...quite taxing on the forearms. So after that day it was just as bad as day one. Now 3 days after that its even worse.
    As for the pain its non-existent if i dont move my wrist or forearm, but as I grip things or rotate and move my wrist it hurts the tendon that runs down the top of your arm. Its in one area that is about 4 inches long. The vibrating is weird though. Thats what has me thinking its more than just a little pull. I'd compare it to the movie Rookie of the Year lol. I don't know if you've ever seen it. Its like the muscle or tendon is being over-stretched or like "creaking".

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the help
    Hi again,

sounds like you strained your forearm muscles on the first day (when you were sawing) and then you aggravated the injury by doing the heavy lifting. I would suggest you ice it 3-4 times a day for 10 minutes at a time (if you can't then do 10 minutes as often as you can). You need to rest it - and for a good week at the very least. Think how bad you can get the DOMS and for how long after a particularly hard work out. I can have sore legs for up to a week later! LOL My point is that you need rest and ice. Once the pain starts going away then you can gradually use the arm more, but go gently as otherwise you will get caught in a vicious cycle. The vibration of the muscles...I would still say that it could be muscle spasms as you're trying to use your muscles but they're not ready yet.

If you get no improvement in symptoms by the end of a week's rest (and I mean proper rest) then get a medical opinion. But I imagine that you should feel improvement, even if slow, with the rest and ice, therefore you should slowly be able to do more and more.

If you got injured at work then it is worth speaking to your boss/relevant work person...if this is happening and is preventable then clearly there needs to be something done. If you keep on aggravating an injury it becomes an RSI (repetitive strain injury) and they're harder to deal with as there is a build-up of scar tissue which makes things a lot slower to heal and usually involves longer term problems.

Good luck and hope that this helps.

Rebecca
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength"

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely rest it and ice it for a while.