Vision2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rotator cuff tear or tendonitis?

About 3 months ago I decided to throw on 205 in the incline bench and rep it for 8 when I had not exceeded 135 until then. It felt fine while lifting, and then 5 hours later I began to feel a pain in my shoulder, specifically it hurts on the front and the back side of the shoulder.
    I have noticed whenever I do the rotator cuff strengthening exercises my shoulder hurts pretty bad...Also when I do butterfly it hurts, but not bench. It also hurts me when i sleep on the side of my shoulder.
    I spoke with my physician briefly about it, and he said he thinks it's tendinitis, but I get the feeling it might be worse... maybe a rotator cuff injury?
    I've taken 2-3 weeks off of lifting completely, and it still hurts. I'm also allergic to anti inflammatorys. Anyone have suggestions?

racheljrogers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) racheljrogers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder Pain

If it were a rotator cuff tear then I would imagine that it would have started hurting almost immediately. Inflammatory responses, however, can be delayed hours after the time of injury or irritation. I would def, recommend talking to your physician again about it to confirm that it is tendonitis and seek alternative treatment. In the mean time you should use a cold compress regularly to counter the inflammation.

I hope this helps.
    Peace,
    Rocky

Create your happiness

DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At first I thought I read your statement, "it hurts when I'm sleeping" which would make me think labral tear. Then I read it again and it only hurts when you're sleeping on that side. I'm gonna agree with Rachel on this one and suggest ice and probably add a NSAID (Motrin, Advil, Aleve) in there for pain. Make sure that if you do decide to take the NSAID that you take it as directed, not just when it hurts!

You could also try some light resistance/weight internal and external rotations and that should helps with any tendonitis and also make sure that your scapula isn't moving around more than it should and thus adding to the RC pain.

Keep in mind though, and I'm not trying to talk down your Physician because all props to him to get where he is, but most physicians are not sports medicine doctors. Perhaps, if you're not happy with his answer, you could ask for a consult to a Spots Med Doc or even physical therapy?

Hope this helps!

paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    could be impingement. The shoulder is probably not healthy until you can at least sleep on that side, without it waking you.

DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTurtle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yup. It could be that as well. A good way to check on yourself, if you think it might be impingement would be to try to bring your arm across your body and see if you get the pain in your AC Joint area. There are several other tests, but it's kinda hard to tell you how to do them.

derzeps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derzeps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derzeps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derzeps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derzeps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derzeps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derzeps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derzeps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derzeps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derzeps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derzeps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah bud i'm in the same boat as you, i feel pain in the same locations and have taken 3 weeks off lifting, when i saw my doctor, he told me it was mostly likely that i pulled a muscele(s) in my shoulder and just to ice and heat it, although the pain has gone away somewhat, it's still not completely gone. I was looking at other shoulder threads and this advice game up and i'm going to give it a go to see if it helps

http://www.intens************/6997-ho...ime.html?pp=25