Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    lol, well there goes the OP's next question:

Dorian won Mr. Olympia, why can't I?
    Nice, but I only really have one question and I guess it has been answered.
    Apparently squats are too important to skip and doing them makes you a tough man - which has been my attitude all along anyway, I was just wondering if I had an out. Apparently not and that is fine. I think I'll keep squats in the mix as always, but I am going to use the press more often and not feel bad about it.

(No I can't post video, this computer is just about all the technology I've got.)

hulkout has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hulkout has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hulkout has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hulkout has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hulkout has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hulkout has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hulkout has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hulkout has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hulkout has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hulkout has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hulkout has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If standard squats really make you uncomfortable, there are a ton of other squat variations you can do. I wouldn't try to replace squats with leg presses unless you've got some injury issues. As far as other kinds of squats, there are front squats, hack squats, sissy squats, trap bar deadlifts just to name a few. Remember, don't let anyone tell you that you must squat (back squats) or else you'll get nowhere. That's absolutely not true as long as you pick appropriate exercises to replace it.

RickRolld is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickRolld is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickRolld is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickRolld is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickRolld is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickRolld is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickRolld is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickRolld is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickRolld is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickRolld is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickRolld is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    'ello.

Even for a bodybuilder (read, especially for a bodybuilder) I think squats are important... and I'm not even talking about quad development, etc. - which has already been discussed. I mean for example if you chose to sub leg press and leg extension for squats you leave yourself open to injury. No, not injury during the exercise, you'd have to be made out of glass to injure yourself doing leg extensions... I mean you'll leave yourself open to injury outside of the gym.

Even if you have no ambition of playing any other sport, I'm sure that you will find yourself running at some point, maybe even sprinting, and an imbalance of quad strength to hamstring strength will almost certainly cause you to pull your hamstring muscle (depending on how signifiant the imbalance).

Strong quadriceps and weaker hamstrings result in a knee joint that is unstable during rapid acceleration and slowing, and the hamstrings are unable to counteract the powerful forces that occur during sudden stops and starts (like HIIT, for example). In other words, you do a sprint with extra-strong quads and weak hammies, and you are begging for a pulled hamstring because your hamstring isn't as strong as the quads and isn't able to perform an adequate eccentric contraction to keep your knee joint from hyperextending during a sprint. As a result, you strain the hamstring because, although it isn't strong enough to do the job, it will hurt itself trying. Training your quads and your hams separately is begging for a strength imbalance. Therefore it's neccesary to train the quad and the hamstring together, and in succesion, such as in the barbell squat.

And a pulled hamstring means no leg pressing, leg extensions, or any lower body work in the gym. And that's bad news if you're a bodybuilder.

So, why was it okay for Yates to not squat, but not okay for you?

1) Yates was an elite bodybuilder. He knew what his weakpoints were and what his strong points were and he came to the conclusion, after many many years of experience, that squats were no longer in line with his goals.

2) He did squat for many, many years previously. He didn't come to the conclusion that he never should have been squatting, but that he didn't need to focus on the squat from that point on.

3) You're not Dorian Yates.

Most people choose not to squat because they don't like it. It's hard work, squatting, and many people would rather not do it at all. If this describes you, you're being a pussy.

I think for every individual, no matter the specific goal, you need to squat! And if you're not going to squat in the gym, then you might as well not squat outside of the gym either. You can use one of those grabby-stick things that old people use to pick things up off of the floor. And you'll not want to run either. It's speed walking for you, my friend. Don't worry though, I'm sure your neighborhood has a club full of soccer moms that you can speed walk with. Afterwards, you can knit together in a circle.
    I have played basketball competitively for the past 14 years and have run track competitively in high school and do windsprints and run for exercise and have never injured my quads, hamstrings, or calves and I have only done 12 sets of squats in my entire bodybuilding career (11 years).

You can't say that something will happen to someone because they don't squat because everyone is not the same.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RickRolld View Post
    You can't say that something will happen to someone because they don't squat because everyone is not the same.
    Nor can you argue that something won't happen to someone just because it hasn't happened to you.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    To the OP-

If you don't want to do squats, don't do them. Or conversely, sub in front squats for a while. Front squats are a blast and are more quad dominant anyway. If you hate squatting, don't do it - just realize that your workouts will be suboptimal.

To all the other fools arguing that leg presses are the equal of back squats for mass building, I say hogwash. And moreover, when you are the one arguing against decades of common strength and bodybuilding knowledge, it is you who must produce evidence to the contrary.

All of this nonsense is just an attempt to justify not doing squats by lifters who are too pussy to do them. Seriously, if you don't want to squat then don't - nobody is going to make you. Just please don't try to convince the rest of us that your sissy leg press is the equal of squats.

What's next? Dumbell lunges instead of deadlifts? What about cable pulldowns instead of chinups?

Ya know dips are hard too, can I do kickbacks instead?

gimme a friggin' break...

Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sstroh View Post
    To all the other fools arguing that leg presses are the equal of back squats for mass building, I say hogwash.
    you didnt know that? also, barbell curls are the equal of barbell rows for mass building as well!
    My own videos should go here.

Den2022 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From personal experience I did leg presses because I did not like to squat. While I did get nice development in my quads, it wasn't until I started doing squats that I was able to add 18 lbs in about 12 weeks.

For a hardgainer like me that was good :-)

Leg presses, leg curls, etc will add shape and definition to your legs, but for me if I want to bulk I HAVE TO SQUAT.

-KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was a squat junkie for many years in my teens.

Recently since I started doing natural shows I have shy'd away from them because I can concentrate more on shredding and focus on hammies and quads via leg press.

Try one legged let presses with just your heel on top. And when finishing your rep really push out with the bottom of your foot.

Squats can't hit that deep!

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
    I was a squat junkie for many years in my teens.

Recently since I started doing natural shows I have shy'd away from them because I can concentrate more on shredding and focus on hammies and quads via leg press.

Try one legged let presses with just your heel on top. And when finishing your rep really push out with the bottom of your foot.

Squats can't hit that deep!
    You must be joking.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don't care whether you squat or not.
    Who was this love of yours?

-KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by RickRolld View Post
    I have played basketball competitively for the past 14 years and have run track competitively in high school and do windsprints and run for exercise and have never injured my quads, hamstrings, or calves and I have only done 12 sets of squats in my entire bodybuilding career (11 years).

I agree. Just don't be that guy that squated 600 in high school but can't squat now for <insert BS reason>!

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    You must be joking.
    Nope, gets deep into your hammies and inner glute. Trust me.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nope, gets deep into your hammies and inner glute. Trust me.
    And squats can't???

That's the part I question.

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    And squats can't???

That's the part I question.
    Not this deep, using only one leg mind you. It's a more intense focus and halve you foot is hanging off the top of the leg press. With only your heel touching it.

When doing reps your glutes and hammies are going ape ****. Believe me squat used to be my thing. I love squating but as I said i've shy'd away since i've gotten into competition for the above reasons.

I get better muscle seperation from using the leg press.

I tend to front squat more than conventonal these days.

sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sstroh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    More nonsense...

"I ran track in high school" ... wtf? Well geeze, in that case you must be right.

Look man, I'm not going to get into the my e-penor is bigger than yours nonsense but I've spent a lot of time in PAC-10 football weight rooms and one NFL weight room and you know what they look like?

Squat racks are far as the eye can see. And the only leg press I remember was in the training room where the injured guys got worked out. How many squat racks do you see in these pictures? And how many presses?

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Look man, I'm not going to get into the my e-penor is bigger than yours nonsense but I've spent a lot of time in PAC-10 football weight rooms and one NFL weight room and you know what they look like?
    e-penors, or the weight rooms?

liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    I don't care whether you squat or not.
    Exactly. OP, who are you trying to convince here? Are you trying to convince the bb.com forum members that you don't need squats, or yourself? Nobody is going to lose sleep over this....so do what you want.

Mike

^^^ There are more reasons why those are there in gyms. Firstly they're power racks. They turn into benches for incline bench, bench etc as well.

Also college football training is like a processing center, I mean you just gotta keep moving. Leg Press generally takes longer to load per person and with all the weights people are able to load generally takes up more room.

So just because they have all those power racks doesn't disprove using the leg press.

I am for doing both generally.

Originally Posted by liftingbuddy1 View Post
    Exactly. OP, who are you trying to convince here? Are you trying to convince the bb.com forum members that you don't need squats, or yourself? Nobody is going to lose sleep over this....so do what you want.

Mike
    Well squating heavy builds character. Not doing it doesn't disprove anything, but i'm a firm believer in maxing out in squat and seeing how much pain you can take.

To the OP I mean you're doing a leg excercise which in my book is fine. Don't expect to grow if you ignore legs completely.

The worst thing you can do though is squat improperly doing too much weight to try and impress people. I see younger guys doing this all the time, you aren't doing anything but throwing out your back and looking like an *******!

Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Also college football training is like a processing center, I mean you just gotta keep moving. Leg Press generally takes longer to load per person and with all the weights people are able to load generally takes up more room.
    uhh....you're reaching

if you suggested leg press to a football player they'd pick it up and throw it at you

Talking

Originally Posted by Panacea. View Post
    if you suggested leg press to a football player they'd pick it up and throw it at you
    that would be the most functional thing evar!111!!!

Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    that would be the most functional thing evar!111!!!
    liek omg, new exxer-size invention, leg press-snatch!

Originally Posted by Panacea. View Post
    uhh....you're reaching

Possibly, I don't see them really benefitting from leg press.

They want chains, and squat racks. I know, i've been there.

Kung-Fool will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kung-Fool will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kung-Fool will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kung-Fool will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kung-Fool will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kung-Fool will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kung-Fool will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kung-Fool will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kung-Fool will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kung-Fool will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kung-Fool will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I would live there if I could.

ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by liftingbuddy1 View Post

Mike
    I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, have you read what I said here??
    I was ASKING if it is possible to mainly sub out presses for squats. My motivation is to get stronger first, bigger second, I already always do squats, but wanted to know if dropping them out would be okay or no, judging from most of the responses here the answer to my question is no.

Originally Posted by ultragymrat View Post
    I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, have you read what I said here??
    I was ASKING if it is possible to mainly sub out presses for squats. My motivation is to get stronger first, bigger second, I already always do squats, but wanted to know if dropping them out would be okay or no, judging from most of the responses here the answer to my question is no.
    Well my opinion is if you do, make sure you alternate hack squat machines and leg press.

Most people are afraid they'll lose their man card if they don't squat. But really it just depends on what you're doing. Strength, yeah i'd squat, a lot of stabalization you're getting out of it as well.

I would not smith machine squat personally unless you're doing front squats.

Whatever you do don't use the vag pad! Low bar squat FTW!

Originally Posted by ultragymrat View Post
    I think that's been answered. If your goal is to get strong, then squats are a must. 2x per week at least, 3x is better. Heavy Back squats monday, front wed., back again friday but less volume is great and offers more variety.

You don't have to do anything though, but realize you are sacrificing. For strength training there is simply no replacement for squats and deads, power cleans, and to a lesser extent the various presses.

Well my opinion is if you do, make sure you alternate hack squat machines and leg press.

Most people are afraid they'll lose their man card if they don't squat. But really it just depends on what you're doing. Strength, yeah i'd squat, a lot of stabalization you're getting out of it as well.

I would not smith machine squat personally unless you're doing front squats.

Whatever you do don't use the vag pad! Low bar squat FTW!
    I can't figure you out dude. I was going to argue about some of the nonsense you posted in regards to the football facility pics I posted, but thought better of it.

Then I read this post and at first was like "oh hell not again," but by the end I was like "yeah, what he said."

you sir are an enigma...

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can't figure you out dude. I was going to argue about some of the nonsense you posted in regards to the football facility pics I posted, but thought better of it.

Then I read this post and at first was like "oh hell not again," but by the end I was like "yeah, what he said."

you sir are an enigma...
    He's running for Senate.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

delicious dogg crapp buddymander's Avatar
    buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The reason why Yates Decided to do leg presses rather than squats is because leg presses focus a little more on the quadriceps and less on the rest of the body.

The problem with the squat for elite bodybuilders is that it builds to much muscle, its literally just to good at building muscle on the body.

The squat builds the qads, Hams, Glutes, back, Abductors, calvs.

This makes it harder to keep a perfectly symmetrical body which is why once elite bodybuilders get all the muscle they need they stop using squats or use them much less.

Anyone who wants to build overall muscle and does not squat IS a pussy.
    my body is an army and my minds a general. I keep the body in shape and it does what I tell it to do. An army needs discipline, just like a man does. Herschel Walker